Notices
C5 Corvettes for Sale Classifieds: Used C5 Corvettes for sale as well as modified or stock Corvettes

WTB 02-04 z06 or coupe under $20k

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 04:36 PM
GoatKart
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default WTB 02-04 coupe under $20k

I'm starting to "shop" so if you have a vehicle you feel fits the bill.. Feel free to PM or link it in my thread. I am currently hitting all the major car buying sites as well as dealers etc...

MUST HAVES:
COUPE (will consider z06 lol)

HUD

M6

Under 100k miles (50-70k more ideal)

Seats in "good" condition or better (understand its a used car, but a torn worn out leather seat is a deal breaker)

NO HEADS or CAM cars been there done that, just not what i am looking for in this go around, and i don't feel like demodding a car...

NITROUS is a big maybe... would require some significant knowledge about setup, and car/owner etc. to determine how i felt about it...

F/I is fine if it was done appropriately (supporting mods)
CAI and Exhaust mods are OK as well
Most appearance mods acceptable.

color: I will consider anything..

Let the fun begin....

EDIT:

After talking with my fiance, she wants a coupe, she likes it more. SO I AM LOOKING FOR A COUPE, unless a sexy z06 walks through the door...

Last edited by GoatKart; 04-03-2013 at 11:30 PM. Reason: fiance lol!
Old 04-03-2013, 05:18 PM
Scauzone
Intermediate

I have what you are looking for minus the mileage range. It's sitting at 144,000 miles. Working on getting the seats redone currently.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:34 PM
GoatKart
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scauzone
I have what you are looking for minus the mileage range. It's sitting at 144,000 miles. Working on getting the seats redone currently.
Appreciate the response, but the mileage is a hard line for me.. I plan on daily driving the car, so i am pretty hesitant about going anywhere over that 100k mark. If you feel your car is an exception still due to maintenance etc, feel free to link me some pictures and i will still gladly take a look. However, i will say honestly, it would be a hard sell to me..

edit: Found your F/S link. Do you have any more pictures of the vehicle, other than the one side shot? Still nervous about miles (just to be honest) but would like to see under the hood and interior..

Last edited by GoatKart; 04-03-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:36 PM
Scauzone
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GoatKart
Appreciate the response, but the mileage is a hard line for me.. I plan on daily driving the car, so i am pretty hesitant about going anywhere over that 100k mark. If you feel your car is an exception still due to maintenance etc, feel free to link me some pictures and i will still gladly take a look. However, i will say honestly, it would be a hard sell to me..
Understand. It's my daily in the summer and was the previous owner's daily as well....hence the mileage. It's been very well maintained. I'll skip trying to sell it to you though. Thanks for the response. Probably post it in the for sale section in the future.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Maybizel
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 5 Posts

Good luck. They are pretty hard to find in that price range and mileage with a clean title. I have seen a few with 80-90k miles for around 20.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Scauzone
Intermediate

Sent you a PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:01 PM
Pegan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just listed mine for sale. Need to get $21,000 for it, but it's an 02 z06 with 72k in perfect shape with clean title.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-c...post1583541008
Old 04-03-2013, 09:27 PM
GoatKart
Instructor

Originally Posted by Maybizel
Good luck. They are pretty hard to find in that price range and mileage with a clean title. I have seen a few with 80-90k miles for around 20.
I respectfully disagree, not really.. I have found plenty of "options" out there. They just get swiped up very quickly... I have had 3 z06's and a coupe get picked up before i could get my deposit to the owner basically..

This forum tends to have an above average listing price for their vehicles i find, no surprise since everyone is an enthusiast, they personally value their vehicles highly. However, in the real world, convertibles especially and coupes less so, and some z06's are regularly popping below the 20k mark...

No matter what owners try to do, they are fighting an uphill battle imho for an aging car. They add miles every day, and get older every day, and rarity is not so much an issue with the c5... You can find clean low milage c5's all day long if you want, the question is how much are they asking... I find it awe inspiring when i find c5's listed in the high 20's low 30's... You could buy a newer c6 and still have a warranty, and similar or better performance at that price point..

Gorgeous cars none the less...
Old 04-03-2013, 09:30 PM
GoatKart
Instructor

Originally Posted by Beetroot
Just listed mine for sale. Need to get $21,000 for it, but it's an 02 z06 with 72k in perfect shape with clean title.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-c...post1583541008
Gorgeous indeed, a little more than i was looking to spend since i have to ship the car, but my interest is peaked.. Might be shooting you a pm, haven't quite decided.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:33 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Maybizel
it's all about condition as old as these cars are. the 90k mile 2002z i picked up is in MUCH better shape than a 60k mile car i looked at weeks earlier

problem i had with all the c5's i looked at is many were neglected, driven to hell and back and generally just not maintained. the owners just waxed them up and tried to make the cars look pretty to sell. when you get down to parts replaced and upkeep. most had never had the trans fluid changed, couple were obvious oil burners.

i feel lucky getting the deal i did on my 02. steering is perfect, no rattles, no oil burning, no issues

i hate to say it but i would be scared to make net deals on a c5 unless it's an obvious garage queen with 10k miles. the 50-100k mile cars it's just all about condition and you need to do a thorough inspection in person before price even gets discussed

i think buyers {and i was in this boat for awhile} get confused when they see a 50k mile 2001 z06 sell for 16k one day then a 100k mile 2002 z06 sell for 19k a week later. what is usually missed is the 2001 is burning oil, fair condition and little upkeep. the 2002 was owned by someone near 70 years old, never tracked and is both cosmetically and mechanically in better shape than the 01 with half the miles

Last edited by racebum; 04-03-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:39 PM
GoatKart
Instructor

Originally Posted by racebum
it's all about condition as old as these cars are. the 90k mile 2002z i picked up is in MUCH better shape than a 60k mile car i looked at weeks earlier

problem i had with all the c5's i looked at is many were neglected, driven to hell and back and generally just not maintained. the owners just waxed them up and tried to make the cars look pretty to sell. when you get down to parts replaced and upkeep. most had never had the trans fluid changed, couple were obvious oil burners.

i feel lucky getting the deal i did on my 02. steering is perfect, no rattles, no oil burning, no issues

i hate to say it but i would be scared to make net deals on a c5 unless it's an obvious garage queen with 10k miles. the 50-100k mile cars it's just all about condition and you need to do a thorough inspection in person before price even gets discussed

i think buyers {and i was in this boat for awhile} get confused when they see a 50k mile 2001 z06 sell for 16k one day then a 100k mile 2002 z06 sell for 19k a week later. what is usually missed is the 2001 is burning oil, fair condition and little upkeep. the 2002 was owned by someone near 70 years old, never tracked and is both cosmetically and mechanically in better shape than the 01 with half the miles

I agree 100% with you...

For this very reason, i have a 1 owner z06 on the line with miles right where i want them, highly documented service, and was well maintained.. It has some issues, but they are cosmetic primarily, and its just a matter if i can get the price where i am looking...

That said, your always looking until you've bought something... Then your still looking, your just broke
Old 04-04-2013, 01:18 PM
bigshark
President FlyingRoof Club
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the same situation myself. Been looking for a few weeks now and have seen prices all over the map. I've decided that I'm going to have to buy in another state and drive back because I'm real selective on what I want.

I still need to figure out how to assess the candidates remotely, best options I've seen are inspection services or getting the owner to take it to the local dealer on my dime. What Racebum said is a bit scary, don't want to end up with too much of a project car...
Old 04-04-2013, 02:37 PM
GoatKart
Instructor

Originally Posted by bigshark
I'm in the same situation myself. Been looking for a few weeks now and have seen prices all over the map. I've decided that I'm going to have to buy in another state and drive back because I'm real selective on what I want.

I still need to figure out how to assess the candidates remotely, best options I've seen are inspection services or getting the owner to take it to the local dealer on my dime. What Racebum said is a bit scary, don't want to end up with too much of a project car...
Yeah, finding a clean c5 of any kind near Iowa is a challenge. They just aren't midwest cars... So i am automatically looking at a 5hr drive minimum for some place like chicago,Kansas City or further.. At the point that your making that kind of drive, there and back, its the cost of a plane ticket. The cost of a short notice plane ticket + gas driving back is suddenly the cost of shipping the car straight to your door...

Quite the challenge... Which is why i look at a lot of forum cars... Chances are they may have been raced a little, or modded maybe...

However, a LOT of enthusiasts are also meticulous about their car maintenance, and take pride in taking care of their cars.... Being one myself, i know my car and how well it looked and ran was a point of pride for me.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Sibes67
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You should take a look at mine; rent a lil high MPG car @ 14.95 day, drive the 380 miles to my house, so for maybe 20 gal of gas both ways, and a cheap motel nearby, you can find an old guy's Z, 2002 Elec Blue, needing nothing. Beats airplane fares; click my screen name on profile, go to profile, albums, a few good pics there, I need to get $22K. This car has been pampered and is excellent all around. GL in your search.
Ron
Old 04-06-2013, 08:48 PM
astepup
Melting Slicks

Received 1,807 Likes on 670 Posts

Originally Posted by Sibes67
You should take a look at mine; rent a lil high MPG car @ 14.95 day, drive the 380 miles to my house, so for maybe 20 gal of gas both ways, and a cheap motel nearby, you can find an old guy's Z, 2002 Elec Blue, needing nothing. Beats airplane fares; click my screen name on profile, go to profile, albums, a few good pics there, I need to get $22K. This car has been pampered and is excellent all around. GL in your search.
Ron
That's a gorgeous car How many miles on it?
Old 04-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Sibes67
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by astepup
That's a gorgeous car How many miles on it?

It's 49,000 something miles....it's been covered up all winter so haven't really turned the key for some time.....if Spring ever arrives I will !
I am back in the C2 market hunting for another, so that is the only reason for selling this Z. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:09 AM
GoatKart
Instructor

absolutely gorgeous car, but i am pretty hard and fast about my top end...

Appreciate the response..
Old 04-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Brooksbro91
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi GoatKart,

Here's a link for my 2002 Mag Red coupe with only 33,000 miles:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-c...s-perfect.html

Price is negotiable.

-Brandon
Old 04-09-2013, 12:57 AM
GoatKart
Instructor

Thank you everyone for contacting me, and putting the effort out there to try and get me into a c5..

I am happy to say that my purchase is pending.. and i am giddy like a school girl...

Get notified of new replies

To WTB 02-04 z06 or coupe under $20k

Quick Reply: WTB 02-04 z06 or coupe under $20k