Notices
C5 Corvettes for Sale Classifieds: Used C5 Corvettes for sale as well as modified or stock Corvettes

I may have just blown my sale

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 02:00 PM
jranaudo
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default I may have just blown my sale

Little background. I'm looking to get into a Z06. I am selling my 2004 Yellow Mach 1.

Now the screw up. I was texted by someone last night who I thought was my friend asking if I sold my Mach 1. Well I was honest and said only two calls, probably due to time of year and would wait till spring if I had to.

Problem was this was NOT my friend but a prospective buyer!!! So I have now told a buyer I havent had much interest. So basically I lost any and all leverage.

So what do I do now? I am asking $13,900 which I think is a decent price and would be happy with $13,000. Over text he asked if I can do $12k and I have not replied.

The good thing is while I might lose a little on the sale now I can probably pick up a Z06 at a cheaper price due to seasonal effects. Although thats just my opinion.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:19 PM
mainecobra
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Default Mach 1

Have you done any mods, mileage? I would get the guy over to check out the car first and see if he is serious. But realistically yellow isnt a crowd favorite. For example yellow terminators are hard to sell. The economy is tough and to sell a mach 1 and it being yellow for a decent price is a god send for you!!! Sell it , sell it , sell it and get into a z06!!! You will feel like you have been driving a Hyundai when u get into a z06. Cut your losses now before you end up keeping that bumblee bee forever!!!
Old 11-25-2012, 02:24 PM
96mogt
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Maine - Im selling my 02 V1 Supercharged Gt and lets be honest, cash rules. Im ready to get back into a z06 myself and Im ready to move it lol. Jay
Old 11-25-2012, 02:33 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

you didn't effect anything. anyone who's even half way savvy realizes that most car sales, unless they are priced under market value, don't get tons of calls.

if i had a buyer try and use the " you only got two calls" line against me i would reply with "so far, i can keep listing and increase that number but i'm quite willing to make a deal, let's negotiate"

if you and the buyer both have a realistic idea of value based on compatible sales it should be fairly easy to come to terms

i can't comment on price as i don't know these cars. if 13.9 is a screaming deal you need to explain why. if it's not and you're like most sellers who overprice 12k isn't far off that number and your buyer bait may have worked. have you watched comparable sales on ebay? checked edmunds tmv? kelly trade in value?

Last edited by racebum; 11-25-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:22 PM
jranaudo
Racer

I actually would be pretty comfortable with $12,500-$12,750. I am thinking since we are pretty close we can hit the mark. I am going to talk to him to gauge how serious he is and proceed from there.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:23 PM
1965corvettecop
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the 12k... Of course I don't know mileage, but the only mustangs that body style that bring decent are 03-04 cobras. Even those have dropped, although no-one who owns one wants to admit it. I had a 99 Cobra that I sold last year. It had 6speed, supercharger, etc. and was very nice car. I had to about give it away. I am now in market for ZO6. But I want one with some tasteful mods, and want a fair price. Remember it only takes one person to buy the car...
Old 11-25-2012, 04:41 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1965corvettecop
Take the 12k... Of course I don't know mileage, but the only mustangs that body style that bring decent are 03-04 cobras. Even those have dropped, although no-one who owns one wants to admit it. I had a 99 Cobra that I sold last year. It had 6speed, supercharger, etc. and was very nice car. I had to about give it away. I am now in market for ZO6. But I want one with some tasteful mods, and want a fair price. Remember it only takes one person to buy the car...
you're going to have to be patient for a z06. they didn't make that many of them and good deals only come up a few times per year within a few hundred miles of where you live {usually} in the past 12 months i have seen 2 good z06 deals in my neighborhood. you'll always have top dollar cars forsale if you decide you want to pay a lot. they never sell so supply is easy. it's the 50k mile 2002 cars that go for 17k and are in good condition that you have to wait for. or the 2001s that may have a few more miles but close 15k. they come up every now and then but they aren't common and they usually sell within the same month they are listed. what you typically see a lot of are 2002 cars with 20-30k miles for 25k. i've never seen one of those sell...ever, but many are listed, even do it on ebay, ever notice 99% of c5's have reserves?
Old 11-25-2012, 04:44 PM
jranaudo
Racer

The mach1 has 32 miles and is in super condition with light suspension mods.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:53 PM
obnoxus
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

And unless its paid for,,,,,consider the interest you will pay over the winter
Old 11-25-2012, 06:18 PM
jranaudo
Racer

Originally Posted by obnoxus
And unless its paid for,,,,,consider the interest you will pay over the winter

I do owe on it and this is a very good point. However for me it's a HELOC loan with a minimal interest rate so it's not a big deal BUT I am still making payments on it.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:51 PM
1965corvettecop
Instructor

Originally Posted by racebum
you're going to have to be patient for a z06. they didn't make that many of them and good deals only come up a few times per year within a few hundred miles of where you live {usually} in the past 12 months i have seen 2 good z06 deals in my neighborhood. you'll always have top dollar cars forsale if you decide you want to pay a lot. they never sell so supply is easy. it's the 50k mile 2002 cars that go for 17k and are in good condition that you have to wait for. or the 2001s that may have a few more miles but close 15k. they come up every now and then but they aren't common and they usually sell within the same month they are listed. what you typically see a lot of are 2002 cars with 20-30k miles for 25k. i've never seen one of those sell...ever, but many are listed, even do it on ebay, ever notice 99% of c5's have reserves?
My sentiments exactly... I can wait, I don't need one, just want one. I have a 1965 corvette-but you can't really drive it much with four speed, 3:70 gears and solid lift cam. Plus the worry about it all the time. I rarely drive it at all.. I want a nice Z06 with at least 430rwhp for less than 20k.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:55 PM
racebum
Race Director

My sentiments exactly... I can wait, I don't need one, just want one. I have a 1965 corvette-but you can't really drive it much with four speed, 3:70 gears and solid lift cam. Plus the worry about it all the time. I rarely drive it at all.. I want a nice Z06 with at least 430rwhp for less than 20k.
that's a basic mild head port and cam package with longtubes

there are actually quite a few out there but finding one that hasn't been tracked to hell and back may be a challenge. keep in mind it wouldn't be that hard to do a basic top end package if you find a stock one.

mentioning of stock the 02-04 cars might surprise you, they will click 12.3's around 117mph 100% stock. 11.9s on drag radials is very possible.

01s are the slow ones, i was never able to get a 100% stock one to do better than a 12.6@114mph
Old 11-25-2012, 07:00 PM
1965corvettecop
Instructor

that's a basic mild head port and cam package with longtubes

there are actually quite a few out there but finding one that hasn't been tracked to hell and back may be a challenge. keep in mind it wouldn't be that hard to do a basic top end package if you find a stock one.

mentioning of stock the 02-04 cars might surprise you, they will click 12.3's around 117mph 100% stock. 11.9s on drag radials is very possible.

01s are the slow ones, i was never able to get a 100% stock one to do better than a 12.6@114mph
true.. my Cobra had 487rwhp, but weighed I think 3900lbs, as it was a convertible. I think a Z06 is a little over 3000lbs? Anyway, won't take as much. top end kits are around 3k or more with tuning. Headers are like 1200 bucks, unless you find some nice used ones. I really want an 02 up Z06, unless the 01 is modded a lot.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:09 PM
racebum
Race Director

true.. my Cobra had 487rwhp, but weighed I think 3900lbs, as it was a convertible. I think a Z06 is a little over 3000lbs? Anyway, won't take as much. top end kits are around 3k or more with tuning. Headers are like 1200 bucks, unless you find some nice used ones. I really want an 02 up Z06, unless the 01 is modded a lot.
this is kind of what i was getting at. if you stay stock, absolutely go 02+

if you're going to do a top end package the money saved on the 01 may be worth considering. the two biggest reasons 01s are slow are the cam and the exhaust. with longtubes and a top end package the 01 power problems vanish.

heads are also very easy to port. if you have any experience doing so about 8hrs in the garage with an air die grinder and standard abrasives sanding roll kit will net you a very solid cfm increase. that takes the big expense out of the picture. then it's just cam / VT and fuel management with tune. if you did the heads yourself 3k with tune could be do-able and that includes a nice longtube
Old 11-25-2012, 07:50 PM
1965corvettecop
Instructor

this is kind of what i was getting at. if you stay stock, absolutely go 02+

if you're going to do a top end package the money saved on the 01 may be worth considering. the two biggest reasons 01s are slow are the cam and the exhaust. with longtubes and a top end package the 01 power problems vanish.

heads are also very easy to port. if you have any experience doing so about 8hrs in the garage with an air die grinder and standard abrasives sanding roll kit will net you a very solid cfm increase. that takes the big expense out of the picture. then it's just cam / VT and fuel management with tune. if you did the heads yourself 3k with tune could be do-able and that includes a nice longtube
there is an 03 on here that already has everthing done... it has 57k miles and is close for me (Atlanta). The car is very clean, ad says 500hp head and cam kit done at LG motorsports in Texas. The owner said he is selling for health reasons, and told me as low as he could go is 21.5k. I found out that he bought it 6 months ago for 19.1. So, he should just let it go for around 19.5 or so and be realistic, with a small profit. He will end up selling it for that or less 6 months from now.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:12 PM
dantey
Instructor

Originally Posted by jranaudo
Little background. I'm looking to get into a Z06. I am selling my 2004 Yellow Mach 1.

Now the screw up. I was texted by someone last night who I thought was my friend asking if I sold my Mach 1. Well I was honest and said only two calls, probably due to time of year and would wait till spring if I had to.

Problem was this was NOT my friend but a prospective buyer!!! So I have now told a buyer I havent had much interest. So basically I lost any and all leverage.

So what do I do now? I am asking $13,900 which I think is a decent price and would be happy with $13,000. Over text he asked if I can do $12k and I have not replied.

The good thing is while I might lose a little on the sale now I can probably pick up a Z06 at a cheaper price due to seasonal effects. Although thats just my opinion.
tell him what you're telling us, that you're asking $13,900 which you think is a decent price and would be happy with $13,000.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:13 PM
racebum
Race Director

there is an 03 on here that already has everthing done... it has 57k miles and is close for me (Atlanta). The car is very clean, ad says 500hp head and cam kit done at LG motorsports in Texas. The owner said he is selling for health reasons, and told me as low as he could go is 21.5k. I found out that he bought it 6 months ago for 19.1. So, he should just let it go for around 19.5 or so and be realistic, with a small profit. He will end up selling it for that or less 6 months from now.
talk with him about that. make a cash offer of 19.5 and let him sleep on it. if you can click with the guy and get him talking, then let him know you're dead serious there's a good chance he'll accept or call back

that's probably as good of deal as any for an 03 with those mods done. figure that car stock would go 18.5k, you're paying 25 cents on the dollar for mods if that

Get notified of new replies

To I may have just blown my sale

Old 11-25-2012, 09:32 PM
ThumperNC24
Pro

I also don't think you hurt your chances with your text, you said you'd be willing to let it sit over winter.

well, if the car is clean his price with the miles isn't insane. You can talk about it with him, but just because he got a great deal doesn't mean he has to pass it on. He paid taxes (and possibly interest) on it. He also may be in a situation like you are with your mustang and doesn't NEED to sell it. Can't hurt to talk to him about it and offer something to start from.

19-21k will get you what you are looking for. Well modded cars in excellent condition with decent miles are going to be very very hard to find less than 19 in the current market.

After the C7 comes out and C6 prices continue dropping...I guess we will see.

Last edited by ThumperNC24; 11-25-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:20 AM
Joescrvette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man we are in a long term depression....Take the money and run..
Old 11-27-2012, 07:56 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

ibtl

nothing to do with C5 sales; fwiw, if the first question doesn't concern the title/paperwork/history/lien, the deal will not close

ABC, always be closing, glen gary glen ross, look it up

Quick Reply: I may have just blown my sale