Notices
C5 Corvettes for Sale Classifieds: Used C5 Corvettes for sale as well as modified or stock Corvettes

C-5 prices

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 02:03 PM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LPE385
Your not reading correctly, Wholesale at a Manheim Auction is what I said. You showed me a 29,000 mile Auto car, not a under 10,000 mile 6 speed and 29,000 miles on a 2009 is high miles. It should be under. But how do you know that car has had any paint work, accidents, abuse? You don't. Again like I said there will always be the exception to the rule. Regardless I said Wholesale through an auction. NADA is consumer based, I'm talking dealers. You can take Edmunds, NADA, KBB, Black Book and you will get different figures. I do this everyday for the past 21 years. I trying to help people out that solely rely on a book when its not the correct thing to do due to paintwork, accidents, abuse, hidden issues, 10 year old cars, etc. Thats how all this started. I can't show you Manheim results but there are plenty of C6's selling for way over like I said wholesale, not NADA retail books.

I understand now what you meant earlier by 1000's over book, you meant 1000's over wholesale book, not 1000's over retail book. That makes a lot more sense, when I read your sentence it sounds like you're talking about cars at auction going for 1000's over book (meaning retail value) but you're really talking about cars going for 1000's over wholesale book value, which I can totally believe. I couldn't figure out how cars were going for 1000's over retail book, especially at an auction.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

So what's the average wholesale price on a 2006-07 3LT base C6 & on a 2006-07 2LZ Z06?
Old 03-02-2012, 04:04 PM
johnnyko12
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You also have to remember that it's usually an asking price, most people will move a little bit on price.

Craigslist is a whole different ball game too, noooobody expects to get what they ask on there, craigslist shoppers (like me) are horrible. If you listed a brand new ZR1 on there for $15,000, everyone would offer you $13,000 on a $95,000 car.

I tend to see a lot of this too. C5 $29,000, then it's reduced to 27, then 25.....

There are good deals though. I sold my Z06 with 35,000 miles on here for under $22,000. It also had enough power to keep up with a C6 Z06 and brand new t-56 w/LS7 clutch (under 2000 miles on both).

I wanted closer to 25 but realized that if i wanted to sell a vette in the winter in chicago I was going to have to take less.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:29 PM
mrgil
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Default C5 Purchase

It astounds me when people and I mean this generally , not to anyone specific, are looking for a car and usually start by establishing a price they are willing to pay. (Remember you get what you pay for)
imho the search for a car should go like this.
To find the car you would like. Be specific in what you want,
Vert, 6 speed, mods or no mods, mileage, condition, color and so on.
Once this has been determined,and you find a car, this will dictate the price someone is willing to sell it for. If you find a nice car that meets all your expectations, then discuss price. if the price is too high for you then lower your expectations or pay the price.
It was once said " If you want nice clean fresh oats you have to pay a fair price, if you are willing to accept some that have already been through the horse, then thats negotiable."
I have a Tripple Black 2003 Vert for sale A4. It has 25,000 miles on it and it is well taken care of. I have every receipt for everything ever purchased or done to the car. Which includes over $13,000 in bolt on mods as well as the original parts. It is nicer that new. My price is $30,000. It is an extremely nice car, MSRP $82,000 CDN when new. If you are looking for a real nice 2003 Vert, you have found it, If you want one cheap...Keep looking.
mrgil
Old 03-03-2012, 01:34 PM
hb32
Instructor

To add my nickel 98, when I jumped in with both feet to buy a Vette, I decided on my needs/wants and researched using the CF as a valuable knowledge data base. In my case it had to be a 2002-2004 convertible, torch red, MN6, Z51 suspension with less the 50 k miles and no mods. I searched in Canada and found that most of the cars for sale were either silver or black. This led me south of the border and found what I wanted with only 7k on the clock. The seller and I agreed on price and we both parted happy. The car now has 15k on it and sits through the rainy season under cover in the garage. I bought the car because I like the look of the C5 and performance with mods did not interest me, but I did update the cat back with a Ti and added a Z06 air box. I have contemplated selling it but most buyers, feel that a 10 year old car, regardless of options, condition or mileage, should sell at some " book value " determined by some one who has not seen the car.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Robert G. Smith
Intermediate

I'm not sure what the complaint here is. If you are looking at a car and the seller wants too much make an offer or move on its as simple as that. I think mods are worth something but it is usually pennies on the dollar. I also value a car being all original. I guess at the end of the day KBB doesnt have as much to do with the value as what a buyer is willing to pay. I hope that clears up any misunderstanding someone has about the price of a car he or she wants
Old 03-04-2012, 06:42 PM
TheDEfan
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert G. Smith
I'm not sure what the complaint here is. If you are looking at a car and the seller wants too much make an offer or move on its as simple as that. I think mods are worth something but it is usually pennies on the dollar. I also value a car being all original. I guess at the end of the day KBB doesnt have as much to do with the value as what a buyer is willing to pay. I hope that clears up any misunderstanding someone has about the price of a car he or she wants
Most Vettes are worth more original depending on the buyer. Most newbe Vette owners want a car that's not been molested or raced, atleast that's what I was loolking for when I bought mine, but then I went and modded mine with Heads, Cam, Headers, FAST Intake and a Catback. Now I kinda regret it, because I feel I devalued it a bit or atleast narrowed my resale market, but it sure puts a smile on my face when I mash the gas pedal

Last edited by TheDEfan; 03-04-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Grainraiser
Racer

Originally Posted by mrgil
It astounds me when people and I mean this generally , not to anyone specific, are looking for a car and usually start by establishing a price they are willing to pay. (Remember you get what you pay for)
imho the search for a car should go like this.
To find the car you would like. Be specific in what you want,
Vert, 6 speed, mods or no mods, mileage, condition, color and so on.
Once this has been determined,and you find a car, this will dictate the price someone is willing to sell it for. If you find a nice car that meets all your expectations, then discuss price. if the price is too high for you then lower your expectations or pay the price.
It was once said " If you want nice clean fresh oats you have to pay a fair price, if you are willing to accept some that have already been through the horse, then thats negotiable."
I have a Tripple Black 2003 Vert for sale A4. It has 25,000 miles on it and it is well taken care of. I have every receipt for everything ever purchased or done to the car. Which includes over $13,000 in bolt on mods as well as the original parts. It is nicer that new. My price is $30,000. It is an extremely nice car, MSRP $82,000 CDN when new. If you are looking for a real nice 2003 Vert, you have found it, If you want one cheap...Keep looking.
mrgil

This is were we would disagree. I have no idea what the value of Vettes are in Canada but that car would never sell here in Texas for 30k. If you want to find the sweet spot for selling a Vette around here split the difference between what a dealership is asking and what they gave for a car. A dealer asking 21k for a car paid around 16k for it. A private seller would need to list that car at around 18.5 to make the sale. Very few people are going to pay more for a car than there local dealership is typically asking. Secondly a person spending 30k for a C5 is going to quickly realize that they can get a C6 at that price. Granted a C5 is a better looking car but that is a hell of a premium to pay for a C5. At the end of the day a car is worth what someone is willing to pay. If you get your asking price it was priced right. If not your too high you will to decide to lower the price or keep the car. This no different than any other transaction.

Reggie
Old 03-04-2012, 11:21 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

you have to wait for deals. many corvettes sell at and sometimes under kbb. as a buyer i'm patient, as a seller i price above kbb. just how it is. 50k c5z's really do sell for 18-19k sometimes and a friend of mine bought one with 20k in it for 20k.

good deals sell quick. you basically have to sit on cash and check ads daily. ebay also CAN be a good place to buy but it can also be a rip off. a local shop i know has fixed two ebay cars this past month, one was an evo8 with a spun rod bearing and one was a c5 with a built motor that has just excessive PWC and slap even warm.

moral of the story: don't rush, wait with cash
Old 03-06-2012, 02:45 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 300 Likes on 214 Posts

A couple of guys mentioned paint work. I don't see anything wrong with it as long as it is done properly. I can't see why you would reduce the price because you had a part repainted or touched up. These cars are close to 10 years old if not older and if you think a lot of them didn't have paint work you are wrong. When I bought my car in 2003 the rear bumper had a scratch and the tonneau cover had the top wear. I had them respray both.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:21 PM
bobster42
Instructor

I have decided to do just that. I am waiting for a nice C-5 for a great price and have the money ready to go when it shows up. I am not in a big hurry,as the gas prices continue to climb I think the sells will even be harder just my OP.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:30 PM
Grainraiser
Racer

Originally Posted by bobster42
I have decided to do just that. I am waiting for a nice C-5 for a great price and have the money ready to go when it shows up. I am not in a big hurry,as the gas prices continue to climb I think the sells will even be harder just my OP.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have my money ready and simply need the right car close to me to show up with a good price. I don't expect to pay bottom feeding price but I also will not be buying a car with a inflated price. I have cash and time on my side and I know the right car will show up.

Reggie
Old 03-06-2012, 06:10 PM
ShawnFate
Racer

I use mine more and more as gas prices climb, at 32 mpg it's better than my exs new beetle.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:37 PM
bobster42
Instructor

LOL my wifes gets in the 40s of course its a Hybrid
Old 03-06-2012, 08:14 PM
SEE3ER
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by SEE3ER
A bit of advice...corvettes sell for what ever a buyer is willing to pay for them, if it strikes the buyers "fancy", then usually they are willing to pay a little more than any publication's pricing....for instance, mine---you will no doubt not like my price, but someone just might like the car enough to pay it. If not, life goes on, no harm, no foul....good luck in your search!

http://jeffjob.smugmug.com/Other/Chr...Pggrx&lb=1&s=A
Still will deliver!
Old 03-06-2012, 11:54 PM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Grainraiser
I'm in the same boat as you. I have my money ready and simply need the right car close to me to show up with a good price. I don't expect to pay bottom feeding price but I also will not be buying a car with a inflated price. I have cash and time on my side and I know the right car will show up.

Reggie
That makes three of us, lol. I'm now in my 3rd month of waiting, made one offer that fell through due to undisclosed times, came close on two others, but eventually I'll find something. The color I want in a c5 (mag red) makes it likely that I'll be in a c6 first, as there are way more dark red c6's for sale and the price difference isn't that much between an 01 and 05. I do feel like I've set some baselines though, and pretty much have a good idea of what I can buy for the price, so when a deal comes along I'll be ready to pounce, lol.

Wish I liked black and wanted a manual transmission, seems like you can save $3k or more on a c6 if you're willing to take that color over something less common like the dark reds or dark blues. Color seems to be the #1 thing separating prices of cars, the less common the color the bigger the premium in the used market.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:41 AM
bobster42
Instructor

I have seen a few deals over the last week on here that looked Okay,just not the options I was looking for or wrong color. I need the 6 speed car,not really looking for a car thats being flipped either.It will show up!

Get notified of new replies

To C-5 prices

Old 03-07-2012, 08:57 AM
roadrage06
Instructor

Originally Posted by bobster42
why are they useless? do you think if you wreck your vette the insurance is going to give you more than book value?
Because on here you're talking about value in the truest philosophical sense of the word -- not what some pencil-pushing, number-crunching, prius-driving, world-of-warcraft-playing goon determines in a cubicle somewhere in Metropolitan, USA.

Do you really think a .99c comic book is worth $100? The answer is: depends who you ask.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Grainraiser
Racer

Originally Posted by roadrage06
Because on here you're talking about value in the truest philosophical sense of the word -- not what some pencil-pushing, number-crunching, prius-driving, world-of-warcraft-playing goon determines in a cubicle somewhere in Metropolitan, USA.

Do you really think a .99c comic book is worth $100? The answer is: depends who you ask.

Well if you pay 30k for a car and total it the next day the insurance is going to give you replacement value. If that value is 22k that is what you are going to get. You can plead the 30k you paid but it will not change a thing.

Reggie
Old 03-07-2012, 07:15 PM
bobster42
Instructor

I think everyone should ask what they want for their car, but that does not mean they are going to get it. I just skip over the sellers that are asking to much and keep looking.I am looking local and on here I have another guy in the business that is a friend looking for me also. He advised me the same, said you should not pay top price for a vette in this market .,said wait it will show up and when it does jump on it.

Quick Reply: C-5 prices