Notices
C5 Corvettes for Sale Classifieds: Used C5 Corvettes for sale as well as modified or stock Corvettes

WTB C5 Z06 for track use

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 01:51 PM
sebdavid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTB C5 Z06 for track use

As title says, I'm currently looking to buy a (2002+) C5 Z06 which will be mainly used for track (not drag racing) duty. I will be driving the car to/from events, so need it to be streetable. I'm in Montreal, Canada, but willing to import the car from the USA.

I have edited this post in order not to start another thread uselessly. I've been learning a lot and now have a clearer idea of what I want. I have one or two options but not 100% convinced, so I'm still looking.

Mods I want on the car are:

- Rad + oil cooler
- Tranny/diff cooler
- Brakes
- Seats
- Suspension

Engine should be stock-ish, safe bolt-on mods are OK. Super-loud exhausts are out.

Keeping in mind paint and aesthetics don't need to be perfect, color doesn't matter that much, and previous track use is okay, I'm looking for a DEAL, not looking for a $30K cherry. I obviously expect such a car to have been used on track (duh!).

Can go up to a little less than $30K if car justifies price, but would prefer to spend less...

I can be reached via email easily, sebdavid at gmail dot com.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by sebdavid; 11-26-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:06 PM
jamies z06
Racer

Originally Posted by sebdavid
As title says, I'm currently looking to buy a C5 Z06 which will be mainly used for track (not drag racing) duty. I'm in Montreal, Canada, but willing to import the car from the USA.

- I would really really really like a 2004.
- Low miles are a big plus. I would like to avoid anything above 40-50k.
- Mechanical condition must be perfect.
- Color doesn't matter so much, but keeping in mind resale value is lower on a color like yellow, for example.
- Not looking for perfect paint, some chips and so on are acceptable. This will not be a show or show-off car, it will be USED.
- Tire tread left is a big factor.
- Any track-oriented (NOT drag racing oriented) mods, if done correctly, a big plus, such as brake pads, frequent fluid changes, SS lines, swaybars, seats/harnesses, etc.
- Obviously, previous track use is NOT a deterrent, if car was maintained accordingly.
- No need for power mods, could actually be a minus point depending on mods.

Keeping in mind paint and aesthetics don't need to be perfect, color doesn't matter that much, and previous track use is okay, I'm looking for a DEAL, not looking for a $30K cherry.

I can be reached via email easily, sebdavid at gmail dot com.

Thanks for your help!
why do you say yellow is a bad resale you dont know what your missin
Old 10-25-2010, 04:11 PM
sebdavid
Pro

I'm just saying a yellow car is harder to sell, which is certainly the case around here. I don't mind the color myself, but when time comes to resell it I'll have to deal with a harder car to sell. Hence why it is still a factor, although not a primary one.

Didn't mean to be hatin' on the yellow Z's out there! Could actually be nice to have a yellow car, more visible on track...
Old 10-26-2010, 09:09 AM
sebdavid
Pro

To the top.

Here are the mods I would be making to the car, so if anyone has some or all of these mods, you could make an easy sale:

-Seats (for racing-type seats but anything better than stock is good)
- Radiator/engine oil cooler
- Tranny/diff cooler
- Short shifter
- Brake ducts, SS brake lines and maybe big brake kit
- Suspension mods are a plus but not necessary, especially on a 2004
- Roll-bar/Half-cage + harnesses
- Second set of wheels/track tires
- Steering lock + skip-shift eliminator
Old 10-26-2010, 11:46 AM
Jon B.
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I know you are looking for a Z, but I have a FRC that has T1 bars and multiple set of wheels. I was hoping to do lots of track work with it. More miles than you are looking for and not the correct year, but I think it would save you a bunch of money.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:49 AM
sebdavid
Pro

2004 model year is not THAT crucial, I prefer the 2004 because the stock dampers are (apparently) better. Obviously doesn't matter if there has been suspension work.

However, I am looking for a Z06. Send me your car details anyway or a link to a FS thread, you never know, I keep an open mind.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:29 PM
Jon B.
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

It's just a few posts down from yours actually. The pewter FRC in Fayetteville, NC.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:52 PM
gmccreary
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here you go:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-c...sburgh-pa.html
Old 10-28-2010, 11:21 AM
sebdavid
Pro

I now have a bit better idea of what I'm looking for.

The car of my dreams should already have installed the following:

-Engine oil cooler
-Tranny/diff cooler
-Basic suspension mods (dampers/swaybars)

Car can't be too loud, there are noise restrictions on the tracks I go to.

Trackable racing tires, racing seats and better brakes are a BIG plus. Looking for a stock or conservatively tuned engine.

I have 1-2 cars on my shortlist right now, I was hoping to have a few more choices to pick from.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:34 PM
sebdavid
Pro

Still looking. See first post.

I'm sure such a car can be found, just looking for basic mods that make it reliable, safe and fast on track!
Old 12-07-2010, 07:25 PM
Dr Chill
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I know we emailed last month. I think I finally decided to sell my car if you are interested. Some details of the car are in my sig. It runs and drives great and will track great. Motor has about 4 or 5 track days, brake kit has 3 track days, tranny has 2 track days, clutch has 1. The next track day after replacing the tranny, the clutch exploded. A scattershield was installed when new dual disk clutch was installed. Car has 18,000 miles and was purchased new in 10/04. Over $30,000 in upgrade parts have been installed on this car, and this does not include money spent on labor charges, or the current wheels and tires.

RWHP was 475, RWTQ was 470 when tuned the last time by Mike Norris. Cam is great roadracing design custom ground for my car by Crower using proprietary computer program based on type of use, rpm range, tranny and diff gearing. Brembo monobloc big brake kit by Movit (370mm/346mm rotors) and Doug Rippie design Bilstein coilovers were installed and car cornerweighted/track aligned by Orbit Racing (of ALMS GT3 fame). I have 3 spare Fikse rims and a fourth that needs a new center, along with CCW T10's currently with street tires. I have 6 or 7 Hoosier Viper Racing Slicks (all 18") that were take-offs after practice sessions before the races. I can also include my aluminum trailer with the car to take it back to chilly Canada with you.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:35 PM
Thomp
Advanced

I just added my car to the forum, might be of interest...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-c...-17-500-a.html

I would consider a 2003 Z06, 67.5k miles, cam+headers for $17,500 a deal but maybe I'm biased.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:44 PM
mjdrebano
Intermediate

i have a 2003 tr z06 with roughly 55k miles

recently installed a new clutch, torque tube bushings, in april of this year along with my transmission which was rebuilt at the same time(can provide receipts of the rebuild).

car is stock with the exception of a race roll bar welded in for HPDE's by Piper motorsports(very reputable company for any fabricating/cages/etc) and can easily weld in the front section and door bars to make a full cage.

g force harnesses, pfadt seat mounts, and sparco seats.

fresh rotors and carbotech xp10s and xp8s.

one year old 04 sachs shocks

nitto r555 RII's with roughly 3000 miles and two track days.

i'm in the market for a 4 door which will "substitute" my z06(m3, isf, evo, sti, etc)

pm me for details/pics if interested.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:03 PM
c6800hp
Racer

Default Purchase of Car

Perhaps you would be interested in buying my car. It is built for the track and I drive it on the street (rarely).

Here is the link on the corvette forum

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-c...-500-rwhp.html

You can cut and paste to find my posting easily

Respectfully,

Scott Stadler
954-324-1519
954-346-6464

Get notified of new replies

To WTB C5 Z06 for track use

Quick Reply: WTB C5 Z06 for track use