Notices
C5 Corvettes for Sale Classifieds: Used C5 Corvettes for sale as well as modified or stock Corvettes

SWEET 1999 Red FRC Twin Turbo (ZO6 Styling) Priced To Sell $29,900 Dallas, TX

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 03:17 PM
wheeljo2
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Default SWEET 1999 Red FRC Twin Turbo (ZO6 Styling) Priced To Sell $29,900 Dallas, TX

PRICE REDUCTION $5,000 - PRICED TO SELL AT $29,900 - BUYING ANOTHER CORVETTE THIS WEEK SO MY LOSS IS YOUR GAIN!!!!!

Background:

1999 Corvette Fixed Roof Coupe (ZO6 body style) with only 82,000 original miles. I have owned, maintained and enjoyed this Vette for over two years now. I come from a Corvette family and have owned 16 thus far and my dad has owned 28. I purchased this car from Jason Magnum Owner/Operator of Texas Speed & Performance in Lubbock, TX who installed the HP Performance Twin Turbo System and built the original forged short-block (this was his personal car). I’m going to miss this Corvette I know it but it time to move on to another classic muscle car with a backseat so I can take the whole family cruising - might consider a trade for a C6 ZO6 (cam preferred) or other C6. (feel free to email at joey.wheeler@wellsfargo.com or call my cell at (972) 898-0101. Thanks for your interest!

My personal objective or intention with this car was to have a fast and reliable late-model twin turbo Corvette that could be driven every day on the street. I have refined this car from top to bottom in many respects including rebuilding the engine (a basic freshening), clutch assembly, fuel delivery system, exterior paint finish, exhaust refinement, crankcase ventilation enhancements, critical turbo specific controls and gauges and tuned for maximum performance on pump gas (many thanks to Bret Bradbury for helping me get the tuning squared away).

My primary interest in this Corvette was to set it up to run in unison with the new C6 ZR1 for a fraction of the cost. Don’t get me wrong, I have over $45K invested in this car (not including my own personal labor) that I’ll willing to sell on the open market for a significant price reduction in line with current market values. But when you compare my offer price to the $120,000 price tag of a new ZR1 you quickly come to terms with the reality of price per power ratio discrepancy between the two cars. The short-block is this Corvette is bullet-proof and designed to handle much higher-horsepower levels than what I’m running (forged pistons, lower compression heads and forged rods and all ARP fasteners). The short-block alone in this car is probably worth $3,500.

Now on to the good stuff, to put it mildly, this Corvette pulls like gangbusters all the way to redline in any gear you want and it will sit you back in your seat and propel you forward faster than you can blink an eye. There is very little turbo lag with the electronic boost controller because you can control how quickly the turbos spool up. The Corvette independent rear suspension harnesses this power very well. In 1st gear it blow the tires off no problem, 2nd gear is a nice fish tail and then grab and go, 3rd gear no problem holding the power from 3,500 – 6,500RPM and same for 4th gear. In my opinion, 10-11 lbs of boost is plenty for the street as any more that than you are talking expensive race fuels or quirky methanol systems that you hope and pray work properly or you will detonate and blow a piston so fast your head will spin.

For the money, you will not be disappointed with this Corvette. Under normal driving conditions, it is so docile that you would never guess there was an extra 300 horsepower once the boost kicks in. This is my first turbo car and the wildest thing is how effortless it makes power. You can put the throttle down halfway and hold the boost at say 5 lbs and it pull like a freight train all the way to the redline or until you grab another gear and then you are off again. You could probably get away with just one 255lph fuel pump at the current power level but I installed two just to be safe and I never run the tank less than 3/8 of a tank because with two pumps I want to ensure they remain insulated in fuel to keep them cool and never run the risk of fuel starvation under boost.

In my opinion, the exhaust system on this car is perfect, not too loud not too quiet just right. And forget about those horrible exhaust fumes that most performance cars without cats deliver because you do not have to sacrifice bad gases out the rear for performance gains when you have a turbo that relies on air velocity from the forced induction more so than the fractional 5-10 horsepower loss from having too much backpressure. No need for a full-race roll cage when you want to drive primarily on the street (most NHRA sponsored tracks will allow you to run up to 11.50 ET down the quarter mile without having to have a full cage if you want to run it down the track on occasion.

All in all, the paint quality and interior are both in very good condition for a 10 year old car (no rips, tears or visible wear on the seats). The tri-pod gauges mounted on the windshield post are a MUST HAVE for any forced induction car because the tuning in terms of boost level, fuel pressure and wide-band air-fuel ratios are CRITICAL and must be monitored to avoid engine mishaps. As long as your vacuum reads 14-15 lbs at idle, with A/F in closed loop hovering in the 14.7:1 range and full boost pegged at 10-11lbs with fuel pressures in the 55-60psi range (40-45psi at idle and 1:1 boost referenced fuel pressure regulator) and A/F at or under 12:1 you should have no problems.

Basically, you are buying a real-world real deal car here that has been pampered and refined to a high level with the potential of being a 1,000+ Horsepower if you want it to be. I suspect it will run over 200 mph as it sits with nearly 650 horsepower now. I have never run more than 12 lbs of boost or any race fuel of any kind because frankly it is not necessary. You have more horsepower on tap than you will ever need and you will not break or wear out parts prematurely at this horsepower level. Remember, there is something to be said for reliability, durability and not having to turn wrenches on it all the time.

Engine: (Rebuilt 3K miles ago)

 LS1 347 Cubic Inch Bored .006”
 Compression Ratio Close to 9:1
 Callies Compstar 6.125” Forged Rods
 Diamond Racing Forged Pistons
 ARP Main Studs
 ARP Rod Bolts
 LS6 Oil Pump (Ported)
 Clevite Rod & Main Bearings
 GM OEM Rear Main & Other Gaskets and Seals
 LS1 Crankshaft
 LS6 Tri-Metal Head Gaskets
 GM 6.0 Liter LS6(like) 317 Casting Cylinder Heads
 Chrome-Moly Hardened Push-rods
 Comp Cam Dual Valve Springs
 LS6 Valley Cover With Breather Port
 Larger Stainless Intake/Exhaust Valves
 LS6 Intake Manifold
 Total Seal Piston Rings
 New A/C Compressor
 New Water Pump
 New MSD 8.5mm Spark Plug Wires with Heat Resistant Looms
 Torque Master Spark Plugs gapped .030”
 Mobil 1 15W-50 Synthetic

Fuel Delivery:

 Dual-In Tank 255lph Fuel Pumps
 Dual Bosch Relays With Dedicated Hot & Grounds
 -8AN (1/2”) Primary & Return Braided Stainless Lines
 Boost Referenced (vacuum) Fuel Pressure Regulator
 Aftermarket High Volume Red Anodized Fuel Rails
 60# Mototron Fuel Injectors
 Fuel Pressure Gauge In-Car
 Front & Rear Cross-Over Fuel Lines (encompasses all cylinders)

Twin Turbo Setup:

 HP Performance Twin Turbo Kit - $8,495 (parts only)
http://www.hpperformance.com/corvetteturbosystems.htm
 Upgraded With 57mm Turbos Capable of 1,000+ Horsepower - +$500
 Upgraded With 60# Fuel Injectors - +$300
 Front Mounted Behind Fenders – Clean Installation & Hidden
 Tial Waste-gates with 8 # Springs

Accessories:

 C6 ZO6 Chrome Wheels (18” front & rear)
 295x35x18 Rear BFGs and 265x35x18 Nitto Front Tires
 ZO6 Brake Duct Screens
 ZO6 Emblems
 Custom Twin Turbo Badges (red fender chrome rear bumper)
 Chrome CORVETTE Lettering Rear Bumper
 Tri-pod Gauges (lighted) Including Boost, Fuel Pressure & Innovate Wide-Band O2
 Front Bumper Brake & Fender Screens
 Tinted Windows
 Trunk Partition
 Rear Mounted Battery
 Lowered Front & Rear on Stock Bolts (2.5” from top of tire to fender/quarter panel edge)
 Fully Built Borg-Warner T56 6 Speed Transmission With Hardened Internals
 Fully Built Rear Differential With Hardened Shafts – Stock .342 Gears
 Custom Heavy-Duty Clutch Disc and Pressure Plate (feels stock and silky smooth)
 New GM Slave Cylinder
 2.5” X-pipe and Dynomax Bullet Mufflers (no unsightly mufflers behind rear bumper)
 Dual Chrome Exhaust Tips
 Clear Coat Color Sanded & Buffed to a Mirror Finish
 Race Products Breather Tank
 Oil-Filler Breather Cap
 Oil Cooler with Braided Stainless Lines
 Hard-wired for Radar Detector
 Rear Brake Slotted & Cross-Drilled Rotors
 ZO6 Red Brake Calipers
 ZO6 Sway Bars
 European Tail-Lights
 High-Flow Catalytic Converters
 Electronic Boost Controller (mounted in glove box) – adjust boost pressure, boost gain and boost frequency while driving
 C5 Diagnostic Reader (view and clear codes while driving)

Performance:

 11.65 ET at 126.76mph on 10lbs of Boost & Pump Gas (93 octane) – 2.0 60ft Street or Drag Radial (no real difference)
 Have Not Dynoed But Estimated Power Level at 550-575 Rear Wheel Horsepower and Torque
 850+RWHP Easily with 16-18lbs and Tuned for Race Fuel or Methanol Injection
 Tuned Conservatively at 11.5 – 11.7 Air Fuel Ratio with HP Tuners Software
 Only Four ¼ Mile Passes To Adjust Computer-Tuning
 Never Run Over 140mph (4th gear around 5K RPM) But Will Likely Run 200+mph Over a 1 Mile Stretch (too fast for my liking)
 3,150lbs Curb Weight
 Built to Run with NEW C6 ZR1 for a Fraction of the Cost with Reliability and Consistency

View 40 more pics at:

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj68/wheeljo2/
Old 02-28-2010, 07:44 PM
XYLIC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is this still for sale?
Old 03-01-2010, 01:02 AM
wheeljo2
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes it is and I'm still detailing and driving it every week and enjoying every minute of it. It you are interested feel free to give me a call at (972) 898-0101.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:47 AM
Turbo Kid
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds and looks like a fun car!TTT for ya!

Get notified of new replies

To SWEET 1999 Red FRC Twin Turbo (ZO6 Styling) Priced To Sell $29,900 Dallas, TX

Quick Reply: SWEET 1999 Red FRC Twin Turbo (ZO6 Styling) Priced To Sell $29,900 Dallas, TX