Notices
C5 Corvettes for Sale Classifieds: Used C5 Corvettes for sale as well as modified or stock Corvettes

Feeler: 1998 Convertible with Extras (Need Suggestions on Price)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:08 PM
newgene
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Feeler: 1998 Convertible with Extras (Need Suggestions on Price)

I'm probably going to put my car up for sale soon (I know...I know). However, it just sits in the garage, and I have to periodically take it places just so it doesn't sit up all the time. Here are the details; let me know what you think the fair price is for this vehicle.

Color: Carmine Red w/Tan Conv. Top
Miles: ~31k
Transmission: 6-speed (M6)
Condition: Garage kept; no door dings; no windshield chips; no major scratches; excellent condition (in my opinion); only minor wear; vehicle was not a daily driver...only a weekend cruising vehicle
Mods:
-- A&A P1SC kit; installed and dyno-tuned by Thunder Racing (525 rwhp); car has less than 2-3k miles since installed
-- LPE Fuel pump with 42# injectors; installed by Thunder Racing
-- New RPM Transmission (breaking in; less than 500 miles); installed by Thunder Racing
-- New DTE 4.10 Stage 3 rear end (breaking in; less than 500 miles); installed by Thunder Racing
-- New Textralia OZ700 Clutch (breaking in; less than 500 miles)
-- DTE Rear End Strut Brace; installed by Thunder Racing (less than 500 miles)
-- Borla Stinger Exhaust with corvette flag/chrome exhaust plate
-- Dynatech LT Headers; installed by Thunder Racing
-- GSD3's with probably less than 4-5k miles on them (I would verify)
-- Autometer Boost and Fuel Pressure Gages (black to match interior) on two-gage pod
-- Hurst short-throw shifter
-- 160 degree thermostat (installed with SC)
-- NGK TR6 spark plugs (installed with SC)
-- Optima Red Top battery (less than 1 year old)
-- Wheels are still stock alluminum (was going to buy some CCW wheels, but never did put any miles on the GSD3's to justify the new tires for them); also wanted to keep the car a sleeper.

The car has always been my baby, but it's time to face reality when the car literally just sits in the garage collection dust until I find time to drive it. Our problem is we have too many toys. We also have a couple of new Harleys, a fairly new Jeep Rubicon, and few other vehicles as well. For some reason, the ride of a supercharged vette with Borla Stingers maybe a little traumatic for the sunday drives. Dunno...maybe I'm just getting old.

Sorry if I'm not exactly commiting to selling it yet, but please give me your honest opinion of what I should ask for it. I know you don't get your money back from mods, but I'm curious what you would list it at if you were trying to get a fair price that you knew would sell.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by newgene; 05-29-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:12 PM
newgene
Racer

Any thoughts? I'm guessing I'll take a beating on the car with a new driveline that was put in (~$5k for trans, clutch, and rear end), but I really would like to know what you guys think.

Any thoughts? Gut feel anyone?

Last edited by newgene; 05-29-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:28 PM
grecohead
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'd buy it for 22k if i didn't have an 02 vert already
Old 05-29-2009, 02:48 PM
newgene
Racer

Originally Posted by grecohead
i'd buy it for 22k if i didn't have an 02 vert already
Congratulations. It's going to be a hard sell I would think, and that usually means I would have to come off greatly on the price. Thanks for the info on the price. Painful, but fair.

I would think with the low miles, it should sell quick. Banks will lend $22k on it with a trade-in of $19k (nada), so I figured stock it would be worth around $20k fair market. The books give it a large bump for the low miles.

The extras are always a tough one. I have over $14k in extra parts, without the cost of the installation for the SC and new driveline. The tires have at least $1k in rubber left, based on the price of a set new. Not to mention, it was over $2k to have the SC installed, driveline changes, and the car dyno-tuned, but I wouldn't even really count that. BTW, my stock clutch was slipping bad with the new power. When my 3rd gear gave me problems, I changed out the clutch, transmission, and rear end, even though the stock 3.42's were perfectly fine. I wanted a 4.10, and I didn't want to have to pay to have them go back in their twice. I also added the brace while they were in there as well. I only wanted to that once.

Do I expect to get the fair market on the car, with all the mods added on top? No. That would be over $36k. However, I really think the car is very different than most of the "normal" C5's listed. Everything on it is nearly new, or in low-mileage, like-new condition. The age of the car is the only thing that should be holding the price back. That, and this crappy economy.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:55 PM
newgene
Racer

BTW, I've been a member on here for years. Pretty much, the car's history is on here. I can also provide a vin for carfax, and I will get some photos up soon.

The vehicle has NEVER had any damage, and I took it to the Gulfport track one time when it was stock. Since they won't let a convertible run, where I know it will, without a roll cage, I never took it back. The car has never had a set of DR's on it. So, street tires have been all the supercharger has seen. With the low miles on the SC as well, the car has really been babied.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:46 PM
grecohead
Advanced

what do you mean they wont let a vert run? i have never been to the track there. had a trip planned for june 5th -6th. i'm about 3 hrs away. i am close to stock. what are the rules for vert?

p.s. how far are you from gulfport? i'd really like to see the car. let me know and if you decide on a price. i'm coming with a small group of racers. they might be interested.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:17 PM
newgene
Racer

what do you mean they wont let a vert run? i have never been to the track there. had a trip planned for june 5th -6th. i'm about 3 hrs away. i am close to stock. what are the rules for vert?

p.s. how far are you from gulfport? i'd really like to see the car. let me know and if you decide on a price. i'm coming with a small group of racers. they might be interested.
I could run it, but I figured it would be in the 11's on street tires. Without the roll cage, I don't believe any track will let you. I could be wrong, though.

BTW, I'm about 30 minutes west of gulfport. If you do head this way, just let me know. Aside from that, if you need any info on the area, I can help you out with that, too.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:30 PM
grecohead
Advanced

i was in gulfport for 6 months back in 03. i already have my room reserved so i will most likely be there. i will let you know. i thought you meant they didn't let verts race with out a roll cage. i got it now. thanks. GLWS
Old 05-30-2009, 02:36 PM
AZ 7TVETTE
Instructor

I feel your pain. There's a supercharged 98 Vert in great condition here for sale that sat for 6 months at $19k. The owner lowered it to 18 and says sale pending but no final deal yet.

I would guess 21-23 if you can find a buyer. So few buyers for heavily modded cars. It depends on how long you can wait, but the vehicle market probably won't come back too soon for these cars and they just get older in the mean time.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:34 PM
newgene
Racer

I figured around $22-23k plus the adder for the new, stronger driveline. I have $5k in the driveline, as well, with about 500 miles of break-in on it. I don't expect that to jump it to $27-28k, but I figure somewhere around $25k will sell it.

Just depends on how long I'm willing to wait.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:34 PM
grecohead
Advanced

well i just put my car up for sale in a local car forum. if it sells i will be hitting you up for a deal
Old 06-04-2009, 11:27 AM
newgene
Racer

well i just put my car up for sale in a local car forum. if it sells i will be hitting you up for a deal
Just let me know if and when you wanted to look at her. Take care.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:43 PM
CATCH ME IF YOU CAN
Drifting

Originally Posted by newgene
I'm probably going to put my car up for sale soon (I know...I know). However, it just sits in the garage, and I have to periodically take it places just so it doesn't sit up all the time. Here are the details; let me know what you think the fair price is for this vehicle.

Color: Carmine Red w/Tan Conv. Top
Miles: ~31k
Transmission: 6-speed (M6)
Condition: Garage kept; no door dings; no windshield chips; no major scratches; excellent condition (in my opinion); only minor wear; vehicle was not a daily driver...only a weekend cruising vehicle
Mods:
-- A&A P1SC kit; installed and dyno-tuned by Thunder Racing (525 rwhp); car has less than 2-3k miles since installed
-- LPE Fuel pump with 42# injectors; installed by Thunder Racing
-- New RPM Transmission (breaking in; less than 500 miles); installed by Thunder Racing
-- New DTE 4.10 Stage 3 rear end (breaking in; less than 500 miles); installed by Thunder Racing
-- New Textralia OZ700 Clutch (breaking in; less than 500 miles)
-- DTE Rear End Strut Brace; installed by Thunder Racing (less than 500 miles)
-- Borla Stinger Exhaust with corvette flag/chrome exhaust plate
-- Dynatech LT Headers; installed by Thunder Racing
-- GSD3's with probably less than 4-5k miles on them (I would verify)
-- Autometer Boost and Fuel Pressure Gages (black to match interior) on two-gage pod
-- Hurst short-throw shifter
-- 160 degree thermostat (installed with SC)
-- NGK TR6 spark plugs (installed with SC)
-- Optima Red Top battery (less than 1 year old)
-- Wheels are still stock alluminum (was going to buy some CCW wheels, but never did put any miles on the GSD3's to justify the new tires for them); also wanted to keep the car a sleeper.

The car has always been my baby, but it's time to face reality when the car literally just sits in the garage collection dust until I find time to drive it. Our problem is we have too many toys. We also have a couple of new Harleys, a fairly new Jeep Rubicon, and few other vehicles as well. For some reason, the ride of a supercharged vette with Borla Stingers maybe a little traumatic for the sunday drives. Dunno...maybe I'm just getting old.

Sorry if I'm not exactly commiting to selling it yet, but please give me your honest opinion of what I should ask for it. I know you don't get your money back from mods, but I'm curious what you would list it at if you were trying to get a fair price that you knew would sell.

Thanks for your help.
Still up for sale ? Photo's ?

Thank's
Old 06-04-2009, 02:46 PM
newgene
Racer

Originally Posted by CATCH ME IF YOU CAN
Still up for sale ? Photo's ?

Thank's
I actually never did really put it up for sale. I haven't taken any photos of it in a while. I was getting a feel for it, and it sparked some interest from a few forum members. I will try to get some up this weekend, but I keep saying that.

I didn't include any photos because I was really trying to get a gut feel for the price, assuming there are no major flaws. I will definitely get some once I have it out there for sale. I'll eventually put it on craigslist as a few other sites, but I fear the type of people that will call me just to "Test drive it, dawg."

And I WON'T ebay it.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:55 AM
grecohead
Advanced

not going up to gulfport this weekend. one of the cars going caught on fire and another is selling so we will come up another weekend. i will let you know.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:20 AM
newgene
Racer

not going up to gulfport this weekend. one of the cars going caught on fire and another is selling so we will come up another weekend. i will let you know.
Damn. Fire doesn't sound good. No rush and take care.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:55 PM
grecohead
Advanced

it was just a celica. haha. no one was in the car luckily. just some under hood damage.

Get notified of new replies

To Feeler: 1998 Convertible with Extras (Need Suggestions on Price)

Old 04-13-2014, 06:50 PM
newgene
Racer

Ok, I still have this sitting in my garage, and after another 5 years, I think it's time to sell it. It just bothers me to see it there with nobody driving it. Literally, I only have time to crank it and drive it around, and even that is becoming more and more of a chore. I plan to sell it now, and know the price is surely lower than 2009. So, I'll get some pictures on here shortly. It's not washed, but I'll let you guys see what I see.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:09 PM
newgene
Racer

Sorry to bump this really old dinosaur thread, but I wanted to link back to my original post, and figured I would just start from there. Other than replacing yet another Optima red top battery (I left it off the tender a few years ago), everything else is the same. My phone sucks, so everything looks dingy. I just snapped these photos exactly the way everything looks. It's been a while since it's been washed.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:04 PM
Extreme Engineering
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Whats your asking price?

Quick Reply: Feeler: 1998 Convertible with Extras (Need Suggestions on Price)