Notices
C5 Corvettes for Sale Classifieds: Used C5 Corvettes for sale as well as modified or stock Corvettes

Corvette Top 10 in Resale Value

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 12:28 AM
Chad97z
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, if everyone asks for top dollar then its hard to get a decent price on a car. So the resale values may be high but it's not worth it. Like I see this one vette for sale for the past YEAR in Dallas on autotrader and its a 97 white vette with 155k miles and the seller is asking $15,500. What GM car that has 155k miles is worth $15,000 if it blows up tomorrow? None. So many corvette's IMO are just over priced. If they weren't overpriced they would be selling them instead if sitting on them. So I don't pay much attention to KBB or some article that says they retain their value. Because its all a bunch of fluffed up pricing. It seems to me if a vette cost 45k and it looses 50% in 5 years, you loose 22,500. But if you buy any other car for $35 and you loose 50% then you loose only 17,500. And most any car that cost 35k is worth at least 17.5 in 5 years if its not beat up. So I think that article is off by stating that other cars loose so much more than 50%.. while "vettes only loose 50%" or less.

Actually, if you observe a 50% rule in 5 years, then the $40k corvettes in 2002 should be $20k today. But so many people are asking too much. So it might take them a while to sell them.

it still seems hard to imagine a person in their right mind willing to spend $20k on a car that has 70,000 miles or more. Regardless of the kind of car it is.. (whatever label you put on it). Especailly a GM sports car. Generally you can count on a GM car to soak you with maintenance after 100k miles. unless of course you have already done it before 100k . Mr good wrench is Mr good wrench. corvette, camaro or cadillac.

I think that article was written to a specific group of people who want to feel comfortable about buying a lavish car. Because the truth is, The more you spend, the more you will loose.

Last edited by Chad97z; 11-19-2007 at 12:50 AM.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:32 AM
jzvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pearl White is RIGHT!! I'm shopping a 03 Z06 right now with a soft winter corvette market and most dealers and private sellers are trying to sell the car for $32 to 35K. The sad part is that by the time they realize the car is overpriced it's the middle of winter and the market is dead. Corvettes are GREAT, I love them, but they will just depreciate(maybe a little slower then a regular car) until 30 or 40 years pass and that particular year corvette you have becomes collectable. Mileage means something, but now as much as you would think as the car gets older. Buyers and sellers BOTH have to be realistic, if your selling an 03 Z06 in December it's worth about $25K (if clean with average miles), if you sell it in the Spring mabe it's worth alittle more. I've owned 4 vettes in my lifetime and never MADE a penny on the car. I guess if you steal a car from someone who is desperate and re-sell it within a few months you can make some money, maybe, or if you buy a rare car and sit on it for 30 years. Here's the simple FACT, Cars do NOT appreciate in value as a rule. Why would I buy a 03 Z06 for $33K when I can buy a 06 for $35 K???? Or better yet an 08 for in the $40's with better HP and a better warranty???jzvette
Old 11-19-2007, 03:51 PM
lockmart
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's why they are basing the article on % and not dollar amounts. It only makes sense you'll lose more total money on a expensive car. A Hyundai has everything beat because it started off dirt cheap right.

The dollar loss is what gets people but it's just something you have to contend with when buying an expensive car. Dollar for dollar, nothing beats the Corvette in retained value. How many people are lined up to spend $20K on a 7 yr old car with 60K miles that cost $47K new? I've seen a lot of that, better than the articles even indicate.

Last edited by lockmart; 11-19-2007 at 03:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Corvette Top 10 in Resale Value