Notices
C5 Corvettes for Sale Classifieds: Used C5 Corvettes for sale as well as modified or stock Corvettes

PROJECT C5, Needs Engine and more, $6800 (GREENVILLE, SC)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 01:00 PM
PaceThis
Race Director

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Default PROJECT C5, Needs Engine and more, $6800 (GREENVILLE, SC)

Hello Everyone,

I've no time to finish this project, so I'm selling it as-is.

It's a 1998 Coupe (purple Pearl amethyst; rare color) with about 60k miles (don't remember exact, but speedo does . It's an AT with a clean/clear title.

Now, the good news for some is that it needs an engine. So buy a forged LS2 with 500rwhp and drop it in and you'll have a screamer. Or build it even cheaper with a less expensive engine.

The bad news (though good as it significantly drops the price) is that this vehicle has been in an accident. While it was in the shop for repairs, it was vandalized, and the upholstery, shift ****/boot, and console lid all need replaced. I can help do this for anyone that needs it, it'd cost about $500 to replace with good condition used items. The accident did some frame damage, but it was already repaired by the insurance company when the vandalism occured, so the frame rails are in good shape.

Most of the body is there, including the hood, a fender and front bumper. It'll need at least one headlight, possibly the inner fenders, a steering rack (about $250 used), radiator/condensor, and some smaller trim, though I have a lot of the parts not shown in the pictures...

This is your chance to build a C5 for less than you can buy it, and budget yourself in a powerful engine.

I have many more pictures, but I could only upload 3 today to the forum. I can email more...so PM your email address to me if you want them.

Old 02-26-2006, 01:04 PM
PaceThis
Race Director

By the way, the car had a body kit on it, so that's glue residue that needs removed on the rockers. You'd also need to fill a few holes in the fiberglass on the hatch before painting...

Or, you can convert the car to a convertible with a few different parts. I have a top assembly, tonneau cover, and top rear tub frame that I can negotiate on with a buyer. Then you'd only need new rear quarters, a trunk lid, etc to make it a convertible.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:05 PM
PaceThis
Race Director

The glass is all okay, even the windshield. The airbags are NOT. They have been blown and will need replaced, unless making it a race car...
Old 02-26-2006, 01:11 PM
F8L-LS1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Email me some more pics and a number.- ssrcars@hotmail.com
Old 02-26-2006, 01:37 PM
PaceThis
Race Director

Originally Posted by F8L-LS1
Email me some more pics and a number.- ssrcars@hotmail.com
Pictures on the way
Old 02-26-2006, 05:20 PM
BlackMagicC5
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think I've ever seen a C5 go that cheap. I've seen some for around $10-$14k, old with high miles, salvaged titles, and all they are is a big pile of broken parts and fiberglass. This is a damn good deal for someone who knows how to fix them. I was going to pick it up, but I can't decide if I can fix it or not. It's a good bit of work, but a great deal for someone looking for a project car. Hell, imagine if you have a total of $20-25k invested in this. You could have anything you want. You could have a totally redone car, tons of new parts, any motor you want, any engine you want, ect. for the price of just a stock one. Not bad.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:09 PM
SN8KETR
Instructor

What don't you comprehend about bashing peoples prices is against the forum rules? Look at the top of this section and you'll see a post about it.

Honestly, I don't think anyone would be buying this to drive again as a daily driver unless that had access to CHEAP parts and the ability to put everything back together for minimal costs. As he told us it was a project, so I figure the type of guy that would buy this would be looking for a car that would end up a trailer queen.

I'd say its a great price all things considered. And I too have seen cars similar at twice what hes asking.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:07 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I'll make GRUMPY's job easy on him and recite the forum rules on bashing somebody's C5 for sale thread. MOVE ON BASHER and why don't you delete your ignorant posts while you are at it!

Interference in a For Sale thread:

If you don’t like the price or item being offered in for sale thread, take it to e-mail or PMs. Better still, just move on to a thread that is offering something you like the price on.

If you post a criticism of the price or the quality of the item being offered, you will be in violation of Forum rules and subject to sanctions.

If you post your own for sale items to the for sale thread started by someone else, you also are in violation of Forum rules. Start your own thread, rather than jumping into the thread of someone else.

If your contribution to a for sale thread does not advance the sale, you are in the way.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 02-26-2006 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:41 PM
PaceThis
Race Director

When I said it could be fixed for $10k, I was counting the cost of the car to purchase...I'll respond to the rest later...
Old 02-26-2006, 11:20 PM
PaceThis
Race Director

I purchased this car to build into a convertible, with a custom interior and a forged LS2 block, set up for later TT. My budget was to keep the whole setup around $20k, and I didn't feel constrained in the least bit when I budgeted everything out...

My personal budget was as follows:

LS2 Stroker engine, w. access. $7k
Interior, Caravaggio or VE leather, $2k
Body, Tigershark nose, $1k
Paint, materials only, $2k
Misc parts, $1k

I have the capability to do a majority of the body work, and the paint (though one could have a paint job done for $2k if you know someone in the business and don't use a top end show quality paint. $2k buys the best of materials). This would give me a great basis for a top quality street and show car, which I could continue to add on...

Now, certainly this car could be built cheaper. One could feasibly pick up a 60k LS1 w/ accessories in the $2k range, though it would take a lot of looking (I bought one last year for $1200 on the forum with no accessories, and it had only 11k miles). Add to that approximately $500 for interior, and $500-1000 for misc parts needed and you're just over the $10k mark with a super cheap paint job. For 10k, what would you really expect in a c5? However, making the budget $15-20k total and you can have a much better car than comparable cars, with a little bit of work and planning.

Other advantages...you pick the color...custom or otherwise.
you pick the engine you want, built to your specs, or stock.
you pick the quality of interior you want. You can go stock, or you can go with show quality.

My point is, this car can be built cheaply, or it can be built nicely. I personally was choosing to spend a little bit more money and have something truly spectacular, unlike anything available in the 20k range for the used market.

However, my wife and I just had our first child on January 6th, and I started back to school on January 9th. I'm still running a full time business and am trying to help my wife keep her business afloat while she is tending to our newborn. Add to that the fact that I have to prepare for the MCAT this summer and I have no time left this year, which is why I'm selling this project.

My price is quite reasonable, and quite firm. If you don't think it's reasonable, you truthfully don't know much about the pricing of rebuildable C5's, so there's no point in responding. I know the market quite well and this car will sell to someone...
Old 02-26-2006, 11:27 PM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I sold an 03 coupe wrecked worse than this for 15K. The comments on buying one for 1K are silly. This is a very fair price.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:23 AM
burnin red
Pro

I think there were only about 381 made in that purple color?
Not bad price have seen lot worse on ebay sell for more.
Good luck with your sell, My advise would be for you to fix back to stock paint it back that color and see what happens then people will freak when you sell it for $20k hope all goes well
Old 02-27-2006, 12:40 PM
denali
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

I recall a couple of people looking for a car like you have. I'll check and see if I can find the threads and post them for you. Good luck on your sale.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...14&forum_id=52
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...53&forum_id=52
Old 02-27-2006, 04:35 PM
Da Wiz
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Bottomfishers

I started to go into a rant on the lack of integrity some members have when it comes to bashing someones asking price on an item they have for sale, and then I realized the people that need to hear it won't get the point any way.

I sold a C4 last year, and I advertised it first on the C4 For Sale Forum. Two members absolutely hammered the thread, without any knowledge of the car. I did a search of threads these jerks posted in, and as it turns out, it looks like they were making a nice little business of driving off interest, then submitting lowball offers when sellers got anxious.

Long story short, MrMojo chimed in and got a number of things straightened out. I sold my car for my asking price, but unfortunately it was not to a fellow Forum member.

To a do-it-yourselfer like me, you have a great price and will find your buyer. Congrats on the new addition to your home. Sounds like you have your priorities in order. All the best to you and your family.

Old 02-27-2006, 06:26 PM
NVTHIS
Le Mans Master

Location: Piedmont, SC Currently Own: 99 Nassau blue FRC. Previously Owned: 84,95,98 Indy Pace,01 Z06
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

This is an excellent deal for somebody. This would definately make a nice little project for someone. Too bad I don't have the extra spare time either. Goodluck with the sell Josh! You shouldn't have a problem with that price.

-J
Old 02-28-2006, 02:17 PM
Evolution
Drifting

PaceThis, I would be interested in pics, a complete list of the extra parts to convert it to a Vert and other parts for the fix. And, anymore details you have that are not posted.
Please send to will.smith@ncmail.net
Thank you,
Old 02-28-2006, 09:45 PM
Freestyler
Melting Slicks

it doesnt really matter who he is, he did not sell via a e#ay link, he posted an ad, and the new rules state - dont question ppls ads, if you dont like em, keep moving

its not that hard

trying to justify your actions is not winning you friends at this point mate.

TTT for a rare color!

Get notified of new replies

To PROJECT C5, Needs Engine and more, $6800 (GREENVILLE, SC)

Old 03-01-2006, 08:59 AM
PaceThis
Race Director

Originally Posted by MrNuke
**deleted**

Actually, this seller is a student. I'm going back to school at the moment and have to clear out projects before attending medical school. However, I do sell things on eBay. I purchased this car with intentions to rebuild it...now I no longer have the time.

I've not misrepresented the car in any way...and it's certainly not unethical for me to list the car on another site...

A few years ago I did a lot of Corvette stuff to adjust my income. I looked into becoming a vendor here, and I didn't make enough off of parts to justify the monthly dues. I discussed this with the forum mods, and have kept my listing down to items off my personal cars/projects.

My main source of extra income within the Corvette realm has been HUD kits. I have kept the listing of those off of the forum, since I do do that as a business. However, I continue to help those with questions.

Seriously, I don't understand your problem with me. You were the one that came into my post, bashing my price. You were the one that gave a low ball offer that wasn't even worth responding to. Seriously, if you're not interested, move on. I've been a member here for 5 years, and many people know me personally and can vouch for my character.

Last edited by Jesse; 03-01-2006 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:50 AM
RED99
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess the Basher must have removed his or hers remarks. I don't see anything.
Too bad that the person that makes the thread doesn't have the power to BLOCK and HIDE a persons negative comments. I see every now and then, someone selling something more or the same price than what I can buy it new, but I keep my mouth shut. Sometimes I feel like warning other people that it can be bought cheaper, but I figure it's every buyers responsibilty to take some time and serach for prices themselves. Afterall, the interenet is the most powerful tool for checking prices. And also the sellers has every right to ask what ever he wants to sell it for. There is nothing wrong with making an offer, but don't make it so low that it's an insult. And if you don't like the price, then just don't buy it. Simple as that.

And Good luck with your sell. That would make a nice race car project for someone.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:01 AM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think a moderator did it.

Quick Reply: PROJECT C5, Needs Engine and more, $6800 (GREENVILLE, SC)