Notices
C4s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C4 Corvettes For Sale as well as Modified or Stock Corvettes

SCAM ALERT!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 08:41 PM
Big Bruno
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCAM ALERT!!!!!!

I have been trying to sell my 1987 vette here and on vettehound. I got a supposed to buyer called VIKRAM MERAH at a company called carplace in India. He wanted to sent me a check for more than the car was worth and I was supposed to wire transfer him the extra back. DUH!!! Alyone else bump into this scam? Big Bruno :spam :mad
Old 01-31-2004, 09:09 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Re: SCAM ALERT!!!!!! (Big Bruno)

Yup, that scam is old. I have had it tried on me once when I was selling a Toyota pickup on EBAY. Was a $2000 truck and the guy wanted to send me a $3500 cashiers check and I was supposed to wire him the "change". Yeah, OK I'll do that!! Ha ha ha.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:21 PM
james holley
Pro

Don't ever deal with anyone in the 3rd world. They will try to scam you every time.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:27 PM
jetlag
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: SCAM ALERT!!!!!! (james holley)

Yeah, I recently got one of those in my mail also. Guy wanted to buy my 99 Mustang GT for 9700, but he said his "client" wrote a check for $16,500. And I was to send the change back. Some place called "Today's Autos" in London..lol
Old 02-04-2004, 11:23 AM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: SCAM ALERT!!!!!! (jetlag)

Everythime I have gotten any of the scams weather its the I sent you too much send the rest back or I have 100,000,000,000 dollars and I need to send it to you so I can get the money back and youll get 100,000,000 million of it just send me your bank account!

I always tell them to send me a check for 1,000,000 first a show or good faith.

and the other ones for I sent you too much money just tell them to bad Im keeping the extra money better cancel the check or its my money.
after about a onth to let the bank check it make sure its good.

Opps I sent you 10,000 to much??? hello no one would do that accidently.
total scame and im glad you saw the disrepance in that :bs
Old 02-04-2004, 07:33 PM
Xander
Racer

Sometimes referred to as the Nigerian Scam:
Happened to me also: I was selling a car for 30k and he told me he had a check for 52k and asked me to send him the change. I told him how about sending me the check for 52k and I'll keep the whole thing. He never emailed back.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:51 PM
Z-07 freak
Le Mans Master

Location: Why are there squished peanut butter cups in my underware?
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We get 3-4 of these inquires a day! From all over the world!
Old 02-04-2004, 08:00 PM
jetlag
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: SCAM ALERT!!!!!! (Z-07 freak)

It must be some kind of trend/fad now. I've gotten 8 in the past 3 days.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:39 PM
GemVETTE
Intermediate

I told them that the shipping company called and they want an extra $500 cash upon pickup and I have already purchased a cashiers check for the overpayment so send me $500 cash so I can take care of the shipping. The money never does arrive...........wonder why???
Old 02-05-2004, 11:55 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default Re: SCAM ALERT!!!!!! (GemVETTE)

yea they can send me a check for more :rolleyes: I'll just keep it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 02-23-2004, 12:37 PM
jschell
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: SCAM ALERT!!!!!! (SurfnSun)

Well I am trying to sell an Acura RSX...look what I just got! Note: My name is not Jason and he name was Tom to start with and is now Frank.

Hello Jason,

i have finalized payment issues with my client and i'm glad to tell you that, terms have been agreed on by my client with the company rules and regulation.I am an independent Auto locator,we have been in the Auto Market for quite some time, For the safety of the transaction, my client has instructed me to carry on with the transaction , that payment will get to you in a cashier check of $24,050 which is a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by my client for a vehicle,because when the agent went for pick up he discovered that the car was not in good condition.

Due to company policy this check has to be made outin this amount to you ,because company policy only allows a refund payment on one cashier check,so you are required to deduct the money of your car ($17,750) and refund the balance($6,300) to my customer (after transfer fee charges has been deducted from the balance) via western union money transfer or money gram transfer in your location to him to be able to offset shipping charges already made by my client.

After payment has reached you and balance sent back to my customer,our agent will come for the pick up immediately (24hrs max) and drive to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my awaiting customer,while title papers and other necessary documents will be sent by you via fedex courier to my customer.

Please Confirm this and provide the following details;Your legal name,address and
phone number for the check payment to be delivered to you via courier serivce as soon as possible
Thanks and God bless.

Frank.

:mad :mad :leaving:
Old 02-23-2004, 10:59 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: SCAM ALERT!!!!!! (jschell)

Send this back to his bitch butt!

its as good as his check! :lolg:

Old 02-24-2004, 12:53 AM
ZRWON
Melting Slicks

LONG, BUT HOPEFULLY ENTERTAINING FOR YOU ALL: Your post reminded me of what happened to us in 1992 when I sold my '91 ZR-1 to a guy in Paris where there was a three year waiting list for ZR-1 purchases. He gave me $20K while he was in the states, and left for his home in Paris. Said he'd make two $20K funds transfers to my checking account when he got to Paris. There was some "Tax advantage" to do it with seperate payments. I was to take car to a shipping company when all funds were received. I got both of the $20K funds transfers just as he stated. I was not concerned because we had our $60K as promised so we took the ZR-1 to the boat dock for shipment. Couple days later we got notice of another $20K deposit! I called Bank of America who assured me there was no mistake on their part. The money was in our account. I called the guy in Paris who assured me he only did 2 funds transfers of $20K eack and the banks must have made the error. After a week or so and no one wanted the extra $20K back (and insisted THEY had NOT made a $20K error), we transferred the money from our checking to an interest bearing account. Several weeks passed and then one day the bank branch manager called me stating that he was placing a hold on our checking account funds and demanded I deposit extra funds to cover my "account overdraft" $20K??. DUH? I transferred the $20K back to our checking account; case closed without even a "thank you" from the arrogant SOB at the bank who still insisted they had not made any error. Couple weeks later we did notice however that our branch of B of A had a new manager.
Strange but true! International finance ran amuck even before we had the internet as we know it today. :lol:
Old 02-25-2004, 03:45 AM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07
Default Re: SCAM ALERT!!!!!! (Chevy Guy)

Yup, that scam is old. I have had it tried on me once when I was selling a Toyota pickup on EBAY. Was a $2000 truck and the guy wanted to send me a $3500 cashiers check and I was supposed to wire him the "change". Yeah, OK I'll do that!! Ha ha ha.
:D

Get notified of new replies

To SCAM ALERT!!!!!!

Quick Reply: SCAM ALERT!!!!!!