Notices
C4s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C4 Corvettes For Sale as well as Modified or Stock Corvettes

C4 vs C5 - the C4 guys perspective . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 09:38 AM
KzooVette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C4 vs C5 - the C4 guys perspective . . .

THIS IS THE SAME POST POSTED OVER IN THE C5 FORUM

For obvious reasons, I thouht I would ask the same question over here!

I am in the market to buy a new Corvette - and until a few months ago had always been interested in a nice C4 (LT1/4, M6). However since that time, the C5 market (sorry guys - I can feel your pain BELIEVE ME!!) has gone in the dumps - and several C5's are now easliy within reach.

Here is my dilemma, though: which one do I go out and get now?
I have a 2001 GTX Ram Air (SLP Modified GTP) that I am selling (so if you think the C5 Market is bad - try selling a niche marketed family sedan!!!! :rant: ) and once I am finished with that HOSING - its is Corvette shopping time. But having driven both a C4 and C5 - I find myslef at odds over which to seriously pursue.

I am looking to spend around $20,000- $27,000 - so a C4 is less expensive in most forms, however it seems to lack the ammenities and creature comforts of the C5. The C5 certainly is more mature in character, but it seems to lack the real GRUNT of the older body styles, and certainly C5s seem more plentiful on the streets.

So how do I begin to decide? Is reliability an issue? How about performance? I am used to my fairly capable 13 second GTX (13.93 at 100.2) that is a very nice road car (lots of suspension stuff) - and I would not want to sacrifice driveability for performance.

UGGGHH!!! I keep going in circles! ANy one who can help!! Anyone in the West Michigan Area who wants to hook up for lunch one day and SHOW me theirs and why its superior?

Michael

PS - if anyone wants to trade for my current baby, let me know!! :steering:

[Modified by KzooGTX, 2:39 PM 4/5/2003]
Old 04-05-2003, 10:31 AM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Default Re: C4 vs C5 - the C4 guys perspective . . . (KzooGTX)

Wait until the C6 comes out if you are seriously considering a C5 - Prices will TANK compared to right now for a C5.
C4 prices have bottomed out and quality C4's w/ high options will continue to draw a following :yesnod:

Good luck w/ The GTX sale, I almost bought one for my wife in 2000 :seeya
Old 04-05-2003, 11:47 AM
Bans25
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are not considering a LT-4, or ZR1, I think you should go for a C5

P.s. My wife has a GTP, so I don't mind driving her car once in a while :)

[Modified by Bans25, 11:49 AM 4/5/2003]
Old 04-05-2003, 12:27 PM
KzooVette
Racer

Default Re: C4 vs C5 - the C4 guys perspective . . . (Bans25)

If you are not considering a LT-4, or ZR1, I think you should go for a C5
I am definitely considering an LT4 or ZR1 (although the ZR1 maintenance and reliability thing can become an issue, as I understand it . . . .) Thanks for the input, Bans.

I am definitely leaning toward the C5 as it stands . . . but I would love to be convinced otherwise.

Old 04-05-2003, 01:19 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

The C4 is better looking for one thing, but as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

A C4 can keep up with a C5 in just about every respect.

One reason to get a C5 is justthat it's a newer car.

If you are just looking for a daily driver, get a C5, if you want a daily driver as well as a race car(drag or road race) get a C4, the money you save over the C5 can go for mods.

The C5 is easier to work on(maintainence and such).

My opinion, you ride in a C5 but you drive a C4.

Either way, both have cheesy plastic interiors. The C4 seats are better quality and more comfortable.

I like the way the targa comes off the C5 better.
Old 04-05-2003, 01:54 PM
philstea
Advanced

Default Re: C4 vs C5 - the C4 guys perspective . . . (Mr Mojo)

If that didnt mix this guy up i dont know what will...

Everyones opinions are different on the looks- to me, c5s look 10x better, so if you have a preference go with that. There is nothing worse than looking at something youve spent 20k on and saying... well the other looks better.

A C4 cannot keep up with a C5 in any respect. Thats why the c5 is the newer model. Everything has been upgraded... including the engine. Technology gets better every day, and so do the vettes. Im sure the c6 will smoke the c5.

I agree with the fact that if you want to have a daily driver go with a c5 because youll pay anywhere from $5-15k more for a c5, and to put that into a C4 would just make it illegal to drive on the streets.

Neither C4 or C5 have a cheap plastic interior... i dont know why that was said. If your gonna say that you might as well say every car has a cheap plastic interior. Cause vettes are better than most.

My opinion is go with the C5, just for the simple reason of being modern and having a more powerful and deluxe drive. If your thinking of holding value, you got no shot unless you have a c1, so dont worry about that.

good luck to you and i hope you get what you want. :cheers:

[Modified by philstea, 7:56 PM 4/5/2003]
Old 04-05-2003, 03:01 PM
85vetteguy
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I was in your situation awhile back and if you see my sig you can see what I decided on. I could have afforded either and looked at both. I was looking for the nicest , lowest mile one that came along and when I found this one I knew it was it. C5's are beautiful and had I found one to my liking I would have bought it. I guess what I am saying is, look at both, drive both and keep an open mind. When you find the right one you will know it. I will not say one vette is better than the other, they are all great it just depends what you are looking for. It worked for me and I have never regretted it. The only thing that would pry me out of this car would be a nice Z06. JMHO. Good luck w/ your search and let us know how it turns out. Guy
Old 04-05-2003, 06:55 PM
JWG
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I was looking for a Grand Sport and my wife wanted me to buy a C5. Long story short, I got the GS and haven’t looked back, in my opinion it is far better than any C5 I see. I drove them both and made the right decision for me. You need to do the same....... :D
Old 04-05-2003, 08:29 PM
omattitude
Burning Brakes

I had the same problem 2 years ago. C4 vs C5 vs CamaroSS vs TrasAmWS6.

As you can see I went for the c5. Just a much better car in every way (sorry, no flame wars please). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but there is a reason the c5 is the best selling corvette. There is a saying......"you drive a C5, you wear a C4". Stock to stock......no comparison.....C5 wins in every way. Sure you can mod both to suit your needs, but a C5 mods very easily.

If you need specifics on why I went C5 vs C4 give me an IM....there are many.
Good luck with your search, hope you find what you're searching for.

[Modified by omattitude, 8:41 AM 4/12/2003]
Old 04-05-2003, 09:42 PM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Re: C4 vs C5 - the C4 guys perspective . . . (omattitude)

As you can see I went for the c5. Just a much better car in every way (sorry, no flame wars please). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but there is a reason the c5 is the best selling corvette.

No doubt the C-5 is a better car from an engineering standpoint... and the numbers sold each year has proven to be a indication of the car buying publics taste... and... some C-5 look better than others, just as C-4's do...
This guy wants to know which car is best for him... and that depends on a multitude of factors...
For the money... I think the ZR-1 is the best bang for the buck right now... Low mile, well maintained examples are hitting the market frequently... they only need some minor improvements to become a little more user friendly... like radiator fan turn off turn on adjustments in the chip... routine maintenance wise they are easy to work on... as is the C-5 imho...
What I don't like about the C-5 vs C-4
1. Battery above the computer in a C-5...C-4 computer on top...
2. Torque tube with linkage inside the tube....not directly into the trans...
3. Made in Mexico trans vs German trans...
4. Regular style hood vs clamshell style...
5. The personality factor... the C-5 has been so well engineered that they don't feel as sporty in the ride aspect... ( yes, I have driven one ) don't take this wrong... the car is just a little more refined for my personal taste..
6. LT-5 motor... just needs a little effort to produce some extra power, if you want it... at no sacrafice on durability... and its power sculpture appearance!...I call it the Crown Jewel of V-8s from the 90s... :-)

What I like about the C-5
1. Looks good with some mods on it...
2. Plenty of performance parts out there...
3. Handles well...
4. Easier to climb in and out of...

It all comes back to what you like... some guys have both... and when it comes to pure driving pleasure they usaully give the ZR-1 the nod... even though the C-5 is a better daily driver...

So... it is really up to you... what do you want more... a more refined
package... or a car with a little more personality? Drive em both and go from there...

Good luck...
Ted
90 ZR-1 DRM 450
LT-5 Registry # 584
Sun City, CA

[Modified by Bigvmaxx, 8:45 PM 4/5/2003]

[Modified by Bigvmaxx, 8:46 PM 4/5/2003]
Old 04-05-2003, 10:06 PM
KzooVette
Racer

Such passion . . . I appreciate the candor and opinions. More and more I see my dilemma coming down to price versus product.

I spent the last hour or see reading through as many posts as I could, trying to get my brain wrapped around my real issue - which I think I have nailed down.

Can I spend the increased money (of course I CAN - but should I) on the C5 when nicely optioned C4's are such a DAMN good deal? That is the real question.

I know this because I questioned if I could choose to by either a low mileage (under 30,000) C4 or a similar condition C5 - I would take the C5 - all things being equal. However a nice low mileage ZR1 vs a C5 becomes a much tougher question - one that I guess I leave until I get the chance to drive a ZR1 (anyone near Kalamazoo? :blueangel: )

So far now - its C5 shopping - to begin as soon as the ink is dry on the sale of the GTX.

Thanks guys for all of the help!!
Old 04-05-2003, 10:29 PM
Filostud
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, they are both really nice (I have a c4 roadster) but I like driving a car with a little nostalgia. C5s are very popular and I prefer something a bit less popular...
Old 04-05-2003, 11:37 PM
92 ZR1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I would go drive them all, but save the ZR-1 for last. If only I would have did that, I could have saved some $$$ and time. When I bought my 1st 90 ZR-1, I forgot about the rest of the cars I had owned.
:cool:
Old 04-05-2003, 11:48 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Default Re: C4 vs C5 - the C4 guys perspective . . . (philstea)

Well Phil, my stock C4 has whipped up on a lot of C5's.

The interiors are cheesy plastic, have you seen how easily the rubber coating comes off the console? Or the waves in the door panels?

Have you seen how easily the C5 seats can tear?

GM put the C5 on a serious weight reduction and using plastic(more plastic) was one way they did it.

Other than the actual room, the only thing that would make me want a C5 interior is the glove box that the 94-96 didn't get. But I do like the armrest storage compartments, they are really handy.
Old 04-06-2003, 12:07 PM
Phil-tha-Rush
Le Mans Master

Default Re: C4 vs C5 - the C4 guys perspective . . . (Mr Mojo)

I agree that if you are looking for a daily driver, to go with a C-5.

If you are looking for something "special" that will hold its value longer, I would by a GS with no second thoughts.

It is my honest opinion though, by the way you have stated your question and responses, that you would be most happy with a C-5.

The C-4s are getting older in years now (7 years old for a 96) and are becoming more of a "hot-rod" , "weekend driver" type of auto.
Old 04-06-2003, 05:17 PM
KzooVette
Racer

Well thanks again for all of the input, guys!!

I went over to our local Corvette dealer and got a chance to take out both a nice C4/LT4 C.E. and a bit used C5. To make a long story short, I think I am looking more at the C5 now - cuz I like the more civilized drive - even though I still like the C4 bodies the best.

SO - in response - I have posted my GTX for sale here as well as a WTB post inthe C5 section. Anyone want to help out? :jester

Thanks again for all of the input!!!!
Old 04-06-2003, 06:11 PM
Phil-tha-Rush
Le Mans Master

which ever way you go, I believe you have made a wise choice of pursuing a purchase from a forum member.

These guys will beat a dealer with both price AND quality.

good luck :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To C4 vs C5 - the C4 guys perspective . . .

Old 04-09-2003, 10:02 PM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Re: C4 vs C5 - the C4 guys perspective . . . (Phil-tha-Rush)

Take it from me...I have one of each, both highly modified. If it's a daily driver, the C5 wins, no contest....better ingress/egress, more room for feet and cargo, morrigidity, easy off top, etc. Only downsides (versus the C4) from a practical standpoint are worse seats, worse rear visibility (due to the higher rear end) and thicker A pillars.

But If I could only have one, and wasn't gonna drive it everyday....it would be a ZR-1, hands down. If you liked the CE, the screaming 7000 DOHC ZR-1 will blow you away....but the C5 if basically just as quick in stock trim...but it wont go 88 mph in 2nd gear. I drove one semi daily for 2 years, and reliability is no worse than any other C4. It's a useable exotic!

Feel free to e-mail me if you have any other issues you wanna talk about...

Sanjay

[Modified by DoctorV8, 9:06 PM 4/9/2003]
Old 04-09-2003, 11:16 PM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

Default Re: C4 vs C5 - the C4 guys perspective . . . (DoctorV8)

I have a C3, C4 and C5 and they are all different.

Things that are better about the C4-
For the same money, you can get a REALLY nice C4 over a well used C5.
Cheaper to insure.
The hatch always opens, the C5 gets frozen shut in the winter.
SPARE TIRE, the C5 has suckazz runflats, when you switch to a real tire, you need to carry fix a flat and some plugs. C4 has a mini spare.
Engine options, L98, LT1, LT4. LT5. The C5 has LS1 and LS6, thats it.
You are in more of a "driver's position" when driving the C4.
Parts are cheaper.

Things that are better about the C5.
Removeable body panels. If you damage one, you unbolt it. The clamshell and rear body on a C4 are one piece and huge money if damaged.
WAY more cargo room, floor storage bins are cool, glovebox AND center console.
Easy to get in and out of, not like getting in a bathtub like the C4.
Makes decent HP stock, makes LOTS with bolt ons.
Better gauge layout, analog needles, not useless "digital" crap like the C4. You can see all the gauges instead iof having to flip the switch like the C4 to toggle.
Hatch and decklid open, makes using the cargo area much easier.
ROOF PANEL! OMG, so much easier with the 3-flip levers instead of using a freakin' ratchet on the C4 and unbolting the damn thing.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:50 PM
Dr. Evil
Le Mans Master

CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
CI-IV AutoX Champ
CI-IV Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '07-'10

Default Re: C4 vs C5 - the C4 guys perspective . . . (Fastguy)

Just my opinion. The C5 is a better car overall and would be better suited to daily driver status if comfort and convenience weigh heavily in your decision. I myself prefer the overall feeling I get from a C4. I get more feedback and while the C5 is a good performer the C4 is not far off and in some ways is equal or even 'gasp' superior. The C5 was made to appeal to a much wider audience, which it has done well. The C4 was designed to appeal to driving enthusiasts who dont mind putting up with the ingress/egress and other shortcomings. In short, you drive a C5...you wear a C4.

[Modified by Dr. Evil, 10:51 PM 4/9/2003]

Quick Reply: C4 vs C5 - the C4 guys perspective . . .