Notices
C4s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C4 Corvettes For Sale as well as Modified or Stock Corvettes

FS: Need help with finding the best C4 Market

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 12:36 PM
Arbix
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help with finding the best C4 Market

So I've spend 9 years and $21k getting my 1985 beautiful but now the trans needs to be replaced. I am done putting money into it, but it's one of the prettiest C4's probably out there - there's $8k just in the paint job.

My question to the Corvette experts is what is the market for a perfect condition 1985 C4 that just needs a transmission?... there has to be guys out there who would love a project car that needs so little work with all the aesthetics already done. Is this the right place to post for sale or is there any Classic Car websites where collectors of older cars look?

Thanks in advance,
Arbix
Old 05-21-2021, 12:51 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 381 Likes on 267 Posts

With low mile ZR-1's around what you have into your car, it really depends on how much of a loss you are prepared for, but for me the car is not worth much needing a tranny. It is worth much more not as a project, you might find someone who wants to upgrade the tranny anyways.

jmho, good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited by 67's; 05-21-2021 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-21-2021, 06:30 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

It's probably worth fixing the transmission. Now you've got undriveable C4. If you fix the transmission you'll have really nice restored C4 with a new transmission. Big difference in value.
Old 05-22-2021, 09:42 AM
DWAVette
Drifting

Received 559 Likes on 356 Posts

Sorry to hear your frustration has outrun your enjoyment. I’m not there yet, but could be one day.

As far as the best market, this forum is likely the best one. Most of the members here can wrench themselves, so cost of install would be minimal. Sourcing a good used tranny would be the only challenge.

Unfortunately, I am sure you know you are not getting your money back for the car. In fact, there is a pristine described 85 for sale on this forum now for 7600 OBO.

Maybe you should just park it for a month or so, cool off, and give it another look after a little time. Sounds like you have put a lot of work into it. Wouldn’t want you to regret selling later, especially since you will be losing so much.

Pictures?? Can we see your beauty??
Old 05-22-2021, 12:17 PM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

Having a special interest car that isn't drivable is a serious impedement to getting market price for a quality example. Places like ebay usually have at least 200 C4s for sale with most described in glowing terms. To sell your car into this venue for any kind of money will be difficult.

As DWAVette noted, this site is probably your best chance for recouping some of your cost.

Good luck with your sale.
Old 05-22-2021, 03:03 PM
ls777z
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackbirdZ07
It's probably worth fixing the transmission. Now you've got undriveable C4. If you fix the transmission you'll have really nice restored C4 with a new transmission. Big difference in value.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with finding the best C4 Market

Quick Reply: FS: Need help with finding the best C4 Market