Notices
C4s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C4 Corvettes For Sale as well as Modified or Stock Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: C7 Carbon

Selling avg-to-nice '85 Corvette.. starting problem == NR

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2002, 05:32 AM
ColinOpseth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Selling avg-to-nice '85 Corvette.. starting problem == NR

Hey guys..

I'm selling my '85 Corvette. I got the car recently and it ran horrible. I ended up changing the MAF, fuel pump, fuel pump relay, and then the ECM. I made a large mistake when I was troubleshooting the ECM. I jumped across the fuel pump relay to start the fuel pump and cranked the motor. It blew the alternator and the starter.

I've since replaced the starter and the alternator but the motor has a 'skipping' start. It won't spin fast enough to start. I want to keep the car and get it running so that I can sell it but I'm in a bind.

The car is worth ~5 grand, running. I will take 4 thousand for it as-is. You'd probably have to live in California if you want to buy it, although I have a truck and if you 'half' of the gas to ship it I will drive it anywhere within 1000 miles of my area. I live in Southern California, so you can compute the mileage using MapQuest. My zip is 91321.

If I don't sell the car here in the next week or so (or get some serious buyers) I will be parting the car out. That's a shame, the car only has 105kish miles on it and there is no spidering on the whole car except on the front nosepiece where it has sunk from the heat of California.

The car was originally blue but is now black. The interior is black but the seats were either changed because they are tan but were dyed black. They look crappy but could easily be redyed.

It has the standard wear and tear (broken doorsills, a few switches, etc) but I have collected a couple of parts. I have another ICP and the passenger side doorsill for you already. They are still in the box from a CorvetteForum member that shipped them to me.

The car is now black. The paint is oxidized and it should be repainted. The motor appears to be in good shape as it didn't smoke when I drove it home. The transmission shifted fine. It is an automatic so it should have the Dana 36?

I do not know if it is a Z51 car but I can measure the front swaybar for you. The RPO code list is not anywhere that I've found so I don't know how else to check for Z51 other than to measure the swaybar.

The t-top is cracked. The steering wheel's leather is junk. The car has new Remington tires on the stock wheels that have been chromed. The headlight motors work although the driverside one is lazy. The hood latch sticks on the passenger side (ie. has a hard time locking). Both door panels should be reinstalled as the previous owner broke some of the clips. The passenger side window needs to be reinstalled on the track but it still moves up and down (I don't think the window is scratched, and have not moved it since I got the car other than the roll the window back up). The instrument cluster doesn't have any burned out pixels that I've noticed. The rear hatch shocks are shot. Weatherstipping is decent but the rear hatch should have it reattached as a 4" section is lifting (it's not torn, just the glue is lifting).

New parts already installed:
- AC Delco Fuel Pump
- Alternator
- Fuel pump relay
- Starter
- ECM

I need this car gone bad. I 'want' 4000 but I will take 'reasonable' offers. Don't bother offering 2 grand, I can get more than that by parting it out. I'm very flexible in the shipping but I will require the deal to be 'sealed' with atleast 60% received through money order or wiring the money before I drive.

As well, I am a reputable guy. My username on eBay is bopseth@attbi.com and I run http://www.GMPerformance.org. I will do whatever I can to help this transaction move smoothly.

I can provide pictures of anything you require as I have a digital camera.
thanks,
Colin
Old 10-20-2002, 12:58 AM
ColinOpseth
Racer

Default Re: Selling avg-to-nice '85 Corvette.. starting problem == NR (ColinOpseth)

No one is interested? I want to play 'Let's Make a Deal.'

Basically, any reasonable offer will not be refused. I am looking at buying a Chevrolet Vega and the money for that car would be from this one.

Thanks guys,
Colin
Old 10-20-2002, 01:05 AM
4_inch_Bore
Instructor

Default Re: Selling avg-to-nice '85 Corvette.. starting problem == NR (ColinOpseth)

"I've since replaced the starter and the alternator but the motor has a
'skipping' start. It won't spin fast enough to start."

Have you checked... the battery, battery connections, ground strap, and the starter cable?
Who installed the starter? They have to be shimmed properly to make good contact with the flywheel.
Old 10-20-2002, 01:18 AM
ColinOpseth
Racer

Default Re: Selling avg-to-nice '85 Corvette.. starting problem == NR (4_inch_Bore)

I installed the starter and used the shims. The problem happened immediately after I jumped across the fuel pump relay and tried to start the car. It blew the alternator (blew the diodes, melted the plug, and blew the regulator). The ECM was already blown at this time due to it just being bad, period.

The battery was pretty hot after even one 4-5 second crank so I'm guessing that a fusible link or something is burnt. The battery connections are good, and I don't know why I would need to check the ground strap (would that short have burnt it?).

This car is also costing me money just sitting in my shop, to the tune of $400 a month. It's just got to go, period. I need some of the money to get my '70 big block Chevrolet shortbed on the road, '72 Chevrolet shortbed on the road, and then buy this '72 Vega GT TPI/M5 car.
Old 10-21-2002, 11:02 PM
ColinOpseth
Racer

I have a possible buyer for the car. If it sells I will post a sold post.

thanks,
colin
Old 10-23-2002, 07:36 PM
ColinOpseth
Racer

looks like the deal fell through...

I gave the car a 5 minute wash and took new pics. Sorry for the quality, my camera's card has some problems, I think.
http://www.GMPerformance.org/Vette2
Old 10-26-2002, 01:14 AM
MonsterVette
Instructor

Standard or auto? :confused:
Old 10-27-2002, 10:29 PM
ColinOpseth
Racer

Default Re: Selling avg-to-nice '85 Corvette.. starting problem == NR (MonsterVette)

it's an automatic..

i've decided to start parting out the car on Friday if I don't get any bites. I'll post here when I get started taking it apart. The only thing I will be keeping is the transmission and the motor w/ TPI. The wiring harness will be for sale (all, even TPI).

thanks for your concern :)
colin
Old 10-28-2002, 10:43 AM
Gixxer
Racer

[Modified by Gixxer, 8:45 AM 10/28/2002]
Old 10-28-2002, 01:51 PM
ColinOpseth
Racer

Default Re: Selling avg-to-nice '85 Corvette.. starting problem == NR (Gixxer)

-ouch- that was kinda harsh, Gixxer. :(
Old 10-29-2002, 03:12 PM
Gixxer
Racer

Sorry, that's why I deleted it.

Good luck with it. :cheers:
Old 10-30-2002, 08:46 AM
ColinOpseth
Racer

Default Re: Selling avg-to-nice '85 Corvette.. starting problem == NR (Gixxer)

you don't have to worry anymore..

the co-lease who my Dad and I rent our shop from decided to stop paying. he tells me 3 days before the doors get locked that we are being evicted.

So, tonight I started parting the car out. If anyone wants any parts they will find them in the parts forum. :(

Get notified of new replies

To Selling avg-to-nice '85 Corvette.. starting problem == NR

Quick Reply: Selling avg-to-nice '85 Corvette.. starting problem == NR