Notices
C4s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C4 Corvettes For Sale as well as Modified or Stock Corvettes

Thinkng of buying, need help/advice

Old 08-14-2014, 07:01 PM
Chelledan
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinkng of buying, need help/advice

I am new to the Corvette world and am looking to purchase my first Corvette. I have found a 1991 Corvette Coupe right at my price range. I only have 7k and the dealer that has this vehicle agreed to my offer of 7K all tags and tax out the door, keys in hand driving her home.

I also had them send me the carfax on this vehicle and all the carfax checks show ok with no problems as far as accidents, abandoned, insurance loss ect... And there has been 3 previous owners. The vehicle has spent it's life in Flint Mi, Brandenton Beach Fl, and Tampa Fl. The whole carfax shows that everything checks out ok

I will put the link below to the dealers advertisement on this vehicle. Please let me know what you think about me buying this corvette. Let me know your opinions good and bad and please reply and let me know if you think this is worth buying and a ok deal and why you think that. Or if you think this not a good buy and a bad deal and why you think that.

http://www.autosportsfl.com/3702/199...Corvette-Coupe

Th ask in advance for your help
Old 08-14-2014, 09:59 PM
corvt86
Advanced

Don't wait to long or it will be gone. Looks great! As long as it drives nice and tight you should be good
Old 08-14-2014, 10:30 PM
c4_4ya
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From pics (viewed on my phone anyway) it looks to be in good shape. That said, the driver seat bottom (burgundy) does not match the rest of the red interior but could just be from weird lighting or crappy view on phone. The driver side front suspension looks "raised" higher than the other 3 corners but could be the pic or they just jacked it up and didn't drive it enough for it to settle to ride height.

Miles are high, I would absolutely have a vette shop check the car over top to bottom, maybe $200 or less. They should know what to look for, but if it has the fx3 suspension, replacement shocks and actuators are expensive.

I would also drive it 40 miles or so and have the vette shop (or yourself) get a read on all the ALDL codes (ECM, ABS, CCM, FX3, and climate control if it's the c68). Don't be content if there's no warning lights on, the bulbs are easily removed, read the codes!!!

With 150k+ miles you should probably expect to need most suspension bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, bearings etc unless they have been done by the PO recently. Labor would be expensive to do those unless you can DIY.

Get a list of the RPO codes and research them to see what options came on the car- Z07 adds some value for sure.

To me, I would be at $5k or under depending on the inspection, maybe a little over since it's a dealer. Look on this forum to see what else is out there for $7k, should get you a nice driver c4 with lower miles.

Not trying to discourage you, just relaying lessons I've learned after having owned an 85 and a '92 (and a 2000). Be thorough and don't let 'Corvette fever' rush you into a decision. I promise there are several good c4's out there in your price range.

Good luck!!
Old 08-14-2014, 10:42 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 205 Posts

Miles are a little high but it is a later car with 6 speed. It looks well cared for and someone who knew what they were doing owned it, judging by the short throw shifter. I would think very very seriously about buying this.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:45 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

At 7k with tax you are really paying about $6500. Unless something is wrong with this car it's a very good buy but do check it carefully for leaks, noises, and especially leaks. I looked these pictures over again. You can't fake that kind of clean. The console, steering column, trim, all looks clean and maintained. That says a lot. No amount of Armor All tidies up a neglected car. This car was cared for!

Last edited by DinoBob; 08-14-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:12 AM
84wuzmy1st
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Agreed, this looks like a good buy at that price for sure.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:42 PM
z16
Instructor

Default corvette

Sent you a PM
Old 08-15-2014, 02:58 PM
Chelledan
Cruising

I want to Thank everyone for their replies. There were some that say its a deal, and others that showed concern on possible issues, and the high mileage which is a warning or caution for sure. Right at this moment I am unsure exactly what I am going to do, however I believe I am going to pass on this one and slow my corvette fever as one person stated. We will see in time.

Again, Thank You for all the replies and advise
Old 08-15-2014, 08:10 PM
fl_799
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know guys. The miles are a turn off and that $6500 car can turn into a 10+K car really fast if there are issues that needs a mechanics hand (suspension, tranny, engine, clutch). Just pointing out (as we all know) that dollars will go into the car either way. I prefer to put them in up front and 'buy' into lower miles and less problems.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:12 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

That is the same for any of these cars and low miles do not guarantee that a 20 year old car will not need a major repair. My opinion is based on what I see and the car looks loved. Also the clutch is new.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:26 AM
theseal
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

That car looks nice. C4's are the best value on the planet bar none. I've owned a 70, 87, 89 b2k, 90, 96, 02z, 2 08z's, all z51 or z06, all manuals.

honestly the 87 and 89 were my overall favorites, the 90 and 08's were the worst cars. The 90 is probably the heaviest and most trouble prone of the c4's but not by much and not a bad car at all.

Get notified of new replies

To Thinkng of buying, need help/advice

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinkng of buying, need help/advice