Notices
C4s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C4 Corvettes For Sale as well as Modified or Stock Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: C7 Carbon

Looking at a 93 with Milage exempt odometer reading

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 11:22 AM
BlackUnicorn87
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a 93 with Milage exempt odometer reading

Hey guys,

I am currently looking at a 93 from buyavette.net that is milage exempt do to at one point odometer going bad with the last carfax report reading 160k. I have not seen the vehicle yet but plan on going down to Atlanta to check it out. What do you guys think?

http://www.buyavette.net/1993%20Corv...ck%205012N.php
Old 05-23-2014, 11:59 AM
TorchRedlt4man
Drifting

Location: Chicago Executive Airport, formerly known as Palwaukee
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I always purchase vehicles based solely on condition. I do not look at year, mileage or number of owners.

I do look very carefully at the condition.

Does the engine start quickly? LT1 engines should start faster than any other engine.

Is the engine quiet? The only noise coming from the engine should be the sound of the fuel injectors rapidly clicking. Lifters should pump up immediately & then be totally quiet.

Do the brakes work smoothly? Stops car without any vibrations?

Front tires look good. Be sure to check tread on the rear tires.

Vette looks very good from the pictures. Your personal assessment will be much more accurate.

If this is what you are looking for & you feel comfortable with the price, I say 'Go for it!"

Good Luck!

Old 05-23-2014, 12:55 PM
BlackUnicorn87
Cruising

Originally Posted by TorchRedlt4man
I always purchase vehicles based solely on condition. I do not look at year, mileage or number of owners.

I do look very carefully at the condition.

Does the engine start quickly? LT1 engines should start faster than any other engine.

Is the engine quiet? The only noise coming from the engine should be the sound of the fuel injectors rapidly clicking. Lifters should pump up immediately & then be totally quiet.

Do the brakes work smoothly? Stops car without any vibrations?

Front tires look good. Be sure to check tread on the rear tires.

Vette looks very good from the pictures. Your personal assessment will be much more accurate.

If this is what you are looking for & you feel comfortable with the price, I say 'Go for it!"

Good Luck!

Thanks torch!!! It'll be my first corvette so I'm really excited. I'll make sure I take what you said when I test drive it. I'm in St. Louis but my wife is a flight attendant so I can test drive a car anywhere then ship it back home. Thanks again.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:46 PM
wbaley
Racer

Originally Posted by BlackUnicorn87
Hey guys,

I am currently looking at a 93 from buyavette.net that is milage exempt do to at one point odometer going bad with the last carfax report reading 160k. I have not seen the vehicle yet but plan on going down to Atlanta to check it out. What do you guys think?

Torch has some good advice for you. You may want to have a mechanic check it over if you are not well versed in cars. Due to the miles, the very first thing I would do is change ALL the fluids, engine, drive train etc. Carefully check all the hoses, belt etc. for cracking and age. Look at the brake pads, are they worn down? Are tires weather cracked? Nothing worse than to be 100 miles from home on a sunday cruise and have some $50 part fail. Any maintenance records? See if they will let you talk to the last owner about any issues, repairs, etc. with the car. Good Luck and welcome to the Corvette family.

Last edited by wbaley; 05-24-2014 at 01:31 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:31 PM
BlackUnicorn87
Cruising

Thanks wbaley, I'm very excited. This is the reason I decided to join this forum though, the knowledge here is endless and I am sure I will be here more than once asking questions. Does anyone know any good mechanics in the Atlanta area? I put a deposit down on the vehicle and will fly out next week to take a look at it.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:29 PM
hippy
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I wouldn't buy that car. There are too many other decent lower mileage C4 corvettes cheap. Currently by me there is a 92 coupe with 47,000 miles, an auto, his price is 7200 OBO. These cars weren't the greatest in terms of build quality when new and with high mileage can be real money pits. I would stay away.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:06 PM
BlackUnicorn87
Cruising

Originally Posted by hippy
I wouldn't buy that car. There are too many other decent lower mileage C4 corvettes cheap. Currently by me there is a 92 coupe with 47,000 miles, an auto, his price is 7200 OBO. These cars weren't the greatest in terms of build quality when new and with high mileage can be real money pits. I would stay away.
Hippy where are you located? If it was on craigslist can I have a link please?
Old 05-23-2014, 06:14 PM
hippy
Le Mans Master

Hippy where are you located? If it was on craigslist can I have a link please?
You bet, here it is. WI.

http://janesville.craigslist.org/cto/4428813556.html
Old 05-23-2014, 06:33 PM
BlackUnicorn87
Cruising

Originally Posted by hippy
Wow, that is nice... One of the better deals I have seen since I started looking. A little out of my range but I sent him a message, thanks for the help.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:06 PM
deptcruser
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Take your time

My advise would be to take your time. I bought a 94 in November off a local lot for $8,000 with 49,000 miles and thought I got a good deal. Then I spent another $3,000 for rims, tires, window seals, front plate, serpentine belt, oil and fluid change. Still have worn seats and faded paint to deal with. Only got buyers remorse when I saw some of the beautiful, well maintained low mileage vets for sale here on the forum for less than what I put into mine. If I knew then what I know now. The real question is do you want a car you can drive or a car you can fix. The car in Atlanta looks nice but that car has been driven maybe driven really hard. There are other lowmcost high mileage c4's here just flip back a couple of pages. My favorite was a 3 black convertible low mile divorce sale I'n California for $10,000. Just hate it when grown ups can't resolve their differences and do what's best for their baby.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:44 PM
hippy
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by deptcruser
My advise would be to take your time. I bought a 94 in November off a local lot for $8,000 with 49,000 miles and thought I got a good deal. Then I spent another $3,000 for rims, tires, window seals, front plate, serpentine belt, oil and fluid change. Still have worn seats and faded paint to deal with. Only got buyers remorse when I saw some of the beautiful, well maintained low mileage vets for sale here on the forum for less than what I put into mine. If I knew then what I know now. The real question is do you want a car you can drive or a car you can fix. The car in Atlanta looks nice but that car has been driven maybe driven really hard. There are other lowmcost high mileage c4's here just flip back a couple of pages. My favorite was a 3 black convertible low mile divorce sale I'n California for $10,000. Just hate it when grown ups can't resolve their differences and do what's best for their baby.
I agree. Before you know it you'll have $2,000 in that high mileage car and be asking yourself why the fk you bought it? I quite honestly wouldn't give more than $3,000 for it and at $3,000 I would think dam hard about it.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:21 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,271 Likes on 2,032 Posts

I'd say the car isn't worth the effort you need to make just to go check it out. I'd suggest "patience" and shop local. Contact maybe a couple Corvette clubs in the area if you actually want a Corvette and see if you can maybe shake something loose.

He!! place a Wanted To Buy here on the forum and mention your location and you'll have several I'm sure looking to sell. Your "flight status" is a plus but there's no need in using it up with a trip to take a "look see" at the car in Atlanta. Everything about it says "abused".

Hippy - you want to not mention the $3k very loud, I'd think you might be receiving the call from Atlanta.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:56 PM
BlackUnicorn87
Cruising

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I'd say the car isn't worth the effort you need to make just to go check it out. I'd suggest "patience" and shop local. Contact maybe a couple Corvette clubs in the area if you actually want a Corvette and see if you can maybe shake something loose.

He!! place a Wanted To Buy here on the forum and mention your location and you'll have several I'm sure looking to sell. Your "flight status" is a plus but there's no need in using it up with a trip to take a "look see" at the car in Atlanta. Everything about it says "abused".

Hippy - you want to not mention the $3k very loud, I'd think you might be receiving the call from Atlanta.
Thanks for the advice, I'll place a WTB in the forum shortly. Everyone I really appreciate the help.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:33 PM
hippy
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by WVZR-1

You're right about that $3000 number. Lol.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:51 PM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 279 Likes on 146 Posts

I wouldn't even consider flying somewhere to look at a $4700 car. Apply that money towards the purchase price of something a little nicer and closer to home. As stated- take your time. There are plenty of cars out there, and precious few buyers from what I've seen. I just sold my '93 Ruby 40th car with 42,000 miles for $10,000, and it was a really nice car with only a couple of minor issues. I had no interest from Forum members and only 2 calls from the craigslist ad. I had an offer a year ago for $11,000 and turned it down. Go figure.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:32 PM
grandsport2
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Agreed... car looks a bit edgy..too many good C4s people are wanting to sell... i think it'll be a regret after you plunk down the $$...just my .02
Old 05-24-2014, 07:04 PM
chevyc4man
Instructor

Agree with everyone else. Stay away, looks like a lot of mods that look cheap, you can find a better car, save your money up
Old 05-27-2014, 04:13 PM
jispr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the Atlanta area and know the buyavette guys very well, If you do come down I've got a very clean 93 torch red listed on Ebay.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:53 AM
RVetteRox
4th Gear

Default 1993 Covertible

Hey guys,

Hi,

I have one worth flying down to see, which is very hard to fine. I also have the original window sticker and build sheet. This one is worth cherishing and keeping for the long term. Always garaged.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking at a 93 with Milage exempt odometer reading

Quick Reply: Looking at a 93 with Milage exempt odometer reading