Notices
C4s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C4 Corvettes For Sale as well as Modified or Stock Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: C7 Carbon

Is my car worth $ 7500?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 03:39 PM
TommyFox
Melting Slicks

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by brian_ndms
Have you thought about taking your car to Corvettes at Carlisle? I think you could get what you wanted easily at this event for your car. If is a fun event and there you will find a crowd who might be looking to buy your Corvette. Buy the way it is a very nice looking car. GLWS

Where is it? I have heard of it.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:43 PM
brian_ndms
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Corvettes at Carlisle is in PA. Here is the link. Very large group of Corvette owners.

http://www.carlisleevents.com/ce/events/corvettes/

Originally Posted by TommyFox
Where is it? I have heard of it.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:38 PM
ninety4formula
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I constantly have people think that my car is worth way more than it is. I think $7,500 would be a very good price. Most of the cars that I have seen are around that price in my area and would really need some of the stuff done that you have done to yours (primarily interior restoration). I think it will be able to sell at that price easily, just have patience. Now that the nice weather is starting to roll around, I don't think it will be a hard sale at all. Most people think my car is worth way more than it is because it is a corvette. I think that your car is a very desired color and a lot of people want an automatic so I really think it wouldn't be hard at all to sell for that price. As long as the mileage isn't super high I think it won't last long. It sounds like a blast to drive by the way!
Old 04-29-2012, 09:52 PM
Sam Ruger
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Default A C4's value?

They go for what they go for. I have watched the C4 market dailyfor two reasons. First, I was in the market for one. Second, I use them as a market indicator of economic recovery. The market bottomed as near as I can tell in 2010. Prices have recovered about 14% since. I price them all the way across the nation (It allows me to identify the depressed areas of the country.).

And I did buy one about a month ago. When unemplyment started to fall, C4's jumpred $ 500 across the board. But they are a long ways from a seller's market yet.

I took my time buying mine. I knew what I wanted in interior color, I wanted a CD player, and wanted the LT-4 engine plus some other goodies. When I finally found it, I could not get the seller to come down a nickle. He wouldn't deal at all (Even though his ad said he would.). Since I wanted that particular car, I had to pay his particular price. I'm not going to complain too much because he had it in air conditioned humidity controlled storage set amongst his other collector cars and he had gone through the car so everything was perfect. I'm the third owner and he never drove it as the second (other than to start the engine). There's not a single scratch or ding on it.

He wanted me to pay for that. But the fact is you can find perfect C-4's all across the country. Perfect does not command much premium. But he got it because he had what I wanted.

The same goes for any C4. If you've got what somebody else wants, you'll get your price. OTOH, if you've got what nobody else wants, you won't.

You've done a lot of work to your car. If somebody wants what you've got, he's going to brag about the price he got it for. But, if it's not what he wants, he won't even look at the car.

Back when C4's were being sold new, the buyers thought the prices were going to hold. Quite a few people took their brand new C-4's and put them on blocks in storage with 0 miles on them (I have found two plus several with 800 miles.). Finding a C-4 with 10,000 miles on it isn't that hard at all if you're willing to search the entire country like I was. The people who bought those C4's to hold them just got killed. And now they're giving up on them and dumping them. That action is probably the kiss of death on C4's for them ever becoming true corvette collectables.

Yet, at the same time, there is a bottom to the C4 market. If you can find one for under $ 3,000 it probably has 200K on it and with no warranty it will even make it out of the seller's driveway. So take that $ 3,000 base and then add on to it for your improvements (Not all improvements have economic value to all people.). It doesn't take long to hit $ 7,500. As everyone here has noted, you're okay. One thing I wouldn't advertise is its having 600 HP. Not everyone wants a 600 HP car. Indeed! Most C4 buyers are looking for 300 HP cars. If it runs/sounds good, say nothing about the 600 HP. You can include your engine improvements as the reader will identify that with a rebuild which has economic value. Also, don't say "new interior". That let's everyone know the old one wore out. Say "excellent interior" instead. Let them conclude the interior was very well cared for and not replaced.

Good luck! It sounds like a good car to me but the rollbar and the instrument cluster would not be positives but negatives with true corvette enthusiasts. Recognize that when you change the car you change the buyer.

Last edited by Sam Ruger; 04-29-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:50 AM
TommyFox
Melting Slicks

Thanks, Engine is about 345 hp, 300 or so at the rear wheels, not 600hp. I had the transmission rebuilt to tolerate 600hp in case I or someone else wanted to upgrade the engine for more power in the future. It was about $ 400 more for the heavy duty parts needed. Went to the vetteaid gauges because I think they look better and I don't have to flip switches to see all the functions of the car but I have the original digital gauge cluster and is easy to switch back if desired.

Last edited by TommyFox; 05-01-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:06 PM
TommyFox
Melting Slicks

I have decided to keep it. Ordered an exotic muscle coil over shock set up for it today. Next will be a c5 brake upgrade, then over the winter a 383 build with the same block then it will be complete.

Can't see selling this car any cheaper so I will dump more money in it and save it for my sons to enjoy in about 5 years when my oldest can drive!!!
Old 05-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Excellent!

Quick Reply: Is my car worth $ 7500?