C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Front Brake Cooling Duct?

Old 08-16-2004, 10:28 PM
Last Ride
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Brake Cooling Duct?

Okay, so one of the pieces damaged in my accident was the brake cooling duct front valance panel. I just had it put on, but it did come with the car. Do they really help a whole lot, or will my Wilwood setup cool itself properly? I might get into racing one day, but it is pretty much drag strip only at this point. 95% of the driving is on the street. What do you guys think?
Old 08-17-2004, 12:01 AM
locobob
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Your brakes will be fine, the cooling ducts are for extreme use i.e. very hard track type driving.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:24 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Ducts are track use only. Never use them on the street. Wilwoods do very well at the track without extra cooling if you drive moderately. Very hard driving, high speed tracks and track pads require extra cooling.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:08 PM
Last Ride
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just didn't know whether or not it would be worth while to replace the ducts on the car or just use the factory valance. Thanks.

Bryan
Old 08-19-2004, 08:39 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

One option is to use the factory type valance for now and modify it in the future if you start driving hard at the track. I use the stock type valance modified with a cut-out and a mounted scoop purchased locally. Mine is for 3 inch hose and was fairly easy to do. If you were to use 2 inch hose as most, it would be even easier. See my webpage showing some pictures of the cut-out.
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Front Brake Cooling Duct?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front Brake Cooling Duct?