C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Visible VIN numbers on C4's

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 03:23 PM
LoTu5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Visible VIN numbers on C4's

A freind of mine has informed me of a thief reading the vin number from the screen of a C4 then trying to get a key cut on the number provided,the story of his escapade and how the thief was rumbled is in the UK 'Classic American' magazine.

I find this a bit alarming,is this possible??
Old 02-15-2004, 03:26 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Visible VIN numbers on C4's (Uk422)

Well it is possible to find your address from your license tag.

If you show a picture of your windshield or give you VIN out to people then anything is possible.

In a perfect world the crook should have to show Identification or ownership of the car to get a key.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:35 PM
LoTu5
Drifting

Default Re: Visible VIN numbers on C4's (xlr8nflorida)

In a perfect world the crook should have to show Identification or ownership of the car to get a key.
In the Uk you can apply to the DVLC for the Log book by quoting a VIN number of a car and the registered owner is informed and given 2 weeks to reply.

If the registered owner is away and does not reply then the log book is granted to the person who applied.

The crook rang an automotive key cutting Co to get the key cut but was rumbled for some reason,but could of got away with it.

Just thought i would let the forum know as news travels fast especially with the internet.

There are suggestions here of putting tape over the VIN number is this nessecary?
Old 02-15-2004, 03:39 PM
90 Corvette ZR-1
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it makes you feel better you can put tape over the vin.

edit: when I show the car, I put my laminated window sticker over the VIN

[Modified by 90 Corvette ZR-1, 6:41 PM 2/15/2004]
Old 02-15-2004, 06:23 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Default Re: Visible VIN numbers on C4's

at a local show, a guy got all excited about my car and was checking out the vin / glass area more than anything, then pulled a cell ph. out - I excitedly walked up (as if it were not my car) and kinda "didn't allow him space" to look anymore - after he walked away, I put a piece of tape over it and when he came back, he went right BACk to that spot :nono: Looked at the tape I suppose, as he did not stay long.

This DID happen to someone w/ a C5 locally!!!!!!!!! :mad
Old 02-16-2004, 10:44 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Visible VIN numbers on C4's (*89x2*)

Thanks for the tips. This is one of many reasons I have an aftermarket alarm and two custom ignition cut-off swiches. When parked at home, my car can only be towed away when stolen and you still would have to get past my house alarm, lift disconnect and 90 lb german sheppard nicknamed killer. Away from home would be less difficult, but not easy.
Mike
Old 02-16-2004, 01:47 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Visible VIN numbers on C4's (ZR1 MK)

To tell you the truth I dont think you can just go to the dealer with the vin and get a key cut on our older cars, For certain GM doesnt keep that info forever.

Now if the theif has a buddy working for the dealer and you get him a vin thats a good way to get a key cut, I tried to get a key cut for my 89 3 years ago and GM didnt have the records anymore. at the time it was 12 years old and I think they stop keeping records after 10 years

I can see it happening with a C-5 because they would still be in GM's system but Im not to sure you could do it with to many c-4s Is it possible take the above situation I gave you and it is most certainly posible.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:48 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Default Re: Visible VIN numbers on C4's (phrogs)

Oh they would also have to get 15 keys cut in each of the different vats key codes.
thats where it would take a "inside guy"
Old 02-16-2004, 01:57 PM
A26B
Drifting

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

My keys were in the ignition @ BG last year while washing it for the show & it locked itself. Dennis Scott drove me over to the Chevy dealer & I got a door key cut with the VIN. Was not a problem, but I think the parts guy had BTDT during the events before and I wasn't asking for an ignition key.

Now, about the ignition key, having the VIN may get you a key cut, but unless you know the right VATS pill, you ain't gonna drive it off unless you're a real lucky guesser. I don't think the VATS # is part of the GM database.

Some of the spectators at shows are data freaks (used in the kind way) and like to document the pictures they take and keep databases on Corvettes. Not all of them are wannabe car thieves. Tape seems like a good idea though, can't be too cautious.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:15 PM
A1990
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Visible VIN numbers on C4's (A26B)

Most of us publicize our car numbers and the year. Wouldn't be very hard to determine VIN based upon these two facts.

Not to mention this site in alot of cases states where we are.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:45 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Default Re: Visible VIN numbers on C4's (A1990)

Most of us publicize our car numbers and the year. Wouldn't be very hard to determine VIN based upon these two facts.

Not to mention this site in alot of cases states where we are.
No it wouldnt be to hard at all.

I figured out the Vin numbers on the engine and trany I bought and was able to use car fax to figure out what the check code was each year vette has the vin identical its just the check code engine code and the actual car number that are different so If I had your last 3 or 4 digits of your vin I could figure out your vin number with ease It would take me about 10 minutes to do it if I had a carfax account. because it will kick back the numbers you entered untill it gets the corect number.

jp
Old 02-16-2004, 03:28 PM
LoTu5
Drifting

Sorry folks i hope i havent alarmed any of you guys,i just thought 'for warned is for armed' so to speak.
Its something i never thought of before and if i get someone paying to much attention to my Barcode then atleast i can have my wits about me as you never know in this day and age.

:seeya
Old 02-16-2004, 04:16 PM
VetBoyZR1
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think if it was that easy the pros would have done it thousands of times by now and it would be no surprise.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:35 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Re: Visible VIN numbers on C4's (VetBoyZR1)

Face facts guys - if a thief wants your car, he'll take it. No factory VATS will pose any problem to them. :seeya
Old 02-16-2004, 05:49 PM
A26B
Drifting

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Re: Visible VIN numbers on C4's (DDSLT5)

Face facts guys - if a thief wants your car, he'll take it. No factory VATS will pose any problem to them. :seeya
... I only mentioned the VATS in regard to the concept of simply getting a key cut off of the VIN. The VATS will only stop the amatures.

b'sides, other than at a gathering of some sort, a thief would have to break in to our garages to get at the car and most thieves get cars off the street.

All this stealing talk makes me nervous..... think I'll go play with my guns for awhile. :reddevil
Old 02-16-2004, 06:58 PM
90 Corvette ZR-1
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Visible VIN numbers on C4's (A26B)

My keys were in the ignition @ BG last year while washing it for the show & it locked itself. Dennis Scott drove me over to the Chevy dealer & I got a door key cut with the VIN. Was not a problem, but I think the parts guy had BTDT during the events before and I wasn't asking for an ignition key.
I remember that. And while you were gone didn't someone wash it for you too?

Get notified of new replies

To Visible VIN numbers on C4's

Quick Reply: Visible VIN numbers on C4's