C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

ZR1 Convertible? Anyone chop their car into one?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 09:55 PM
PaceThis
Race Director

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Default ZR1 Convertible? Anyone chop their car into one?

Hi,
I'm buying another ZR1, and it has some roof damage. Haven't seen it yet, but I hear it's not too bad. However, the thought has crossed my mind of making it a vert...has anyone here done this and how involved is it?
Thx,
Josh
Old 08-23-2003, 10:46 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: ZR1 Convertible? Anyone chop their car into one? (PaceThis)

Did you buy it from Florida?

If it has roof damage already then why not go for the convertible.... :cheers:

Old 08-23-2003, 11:41 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

There was one done several years ago in Tampa. Was well done, I think it is still in the city, some guy on Dale Mabry did it. Somebody saw the unique license plate and I traced it through DMV but that was a long time ago.

Tyler
Old 08-24-2003, 01:36 PM
PaceThis
Race Director

Default Re: ZR1 Convertible? Anyone chop their car into one? (xlr8nflorida)

Yes, it's catbucs old car...the only challenge I really see is lining up the top parts with the wider fenders...
Old 08-24-2003, 04:42 PM
Corvettes White
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

There is a very well done yellow chop top out here in California. I also think that there is a blue one out here, but am not sure. GM built a few convertibles. One of GM's was or is still for sale out in Florida. ASI did the bodywork. I have not checked with ASI but I doubt that they would have any parts left over from such a project so many years ago. The yellow one was hand fabricated. You need to see a photo of the DR-1 Convertible, there is a photo of it in “Heart of the Beast.” The soft-top cover cuts into the bodywork as opposed to draping over the side as it does in a standard body convertible.

George
Old 08-24-2003, 05:03 PM
PaceThis
Race Director

Default Re: ZR1 Convertible? Anyone chop their car into one? (999)

There is a very well done yellow chop top out here in California. I also think that there is a blue one out here, but am not sure. GM built a few convertibles. One of GM's was or is still for sale out in Florida. ASI did the bodywork. I have not checked with ASI but I doubt that they would have any parts left over from such a project so many years ago. The yellow one was hand fabricated. You need to see a photo of the DR-1 Convertible, there is a photo of it in “Heart of the Beast.” The soft-top cover cuts into the bodywork as opposed to draping over the side as it does in a standard body convertible.

George
Hey thanks!
Anyone have a pic of this scanned in? Since it's a ZR1, it won't be like the ones GM built as they were narrow bodies... I've thought maybe I would cut the cover in the middle and bridge in an extra 3" to make it drape over the sides properly...don't know yet...still looking for ideas...
Old 08-24-2003, 05:49 PM
Corvettes White
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

GM built a wide body as well as some narrow cars. I have sent you an email with two shots of the wide body. The cover should not cut down onto the sides. The sides fill in to meet the cover. If you can post the shots for all to see.

George
Old 08-24-2003, 07:18 PM
95ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Re: ZR1 Convertible? Anyone chop their car into one? (999)

There was some talk about chopping a ZR1 awhile ago.
A concern was reducing the torsional strength of the frame W/O the top.
The under body "X" brace was discussed.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:55 PM
PaceThis
Race Director

Default Re: ZR1 Convertible? Anyone chop their car into one? (95ZR1)

There was some talk about chopping a ZR1 awhile ago.
A concern was reducing the torsional strength of the frame W/O the top.
The under body "X" brace was discussed.
Did the c4 vert have additional bracing? I hadn't thought so, but I'll look into it...
Old 08-27-2003, 12:04 AM
90 Corvette ZR-1
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that the vert does have some additional bracing on it.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:21 AM
Bans25
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: ZR1 Convertible? Anyone chop their car into one? (90 Corvette ZR-1)

It does, its a simple X brace that I think can be bolted to coupes also..
Old 08-27-2003, 04:37 AM
CATBUCS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it's catbucs old car...the only challenge I really see is lining up the top parts with the wider fenders...
Well what do you know... I'm glad that that car is going to get back on the road. The guy here in tampa that made the convertable, his name is Lenny and he owns the Classic Corvettes Shop. He should have a web address. And yes, it looked very good. However Gene, from the car shop said that he straightned out the roof post. Is that accurate?

Also , I am working on the title for you. I sent the paper work off yeaterday as this original transaction was lost which has caused the delay. It should be next week some time. If you want to not have me send it to Gene let me know and I can mail it to you as soon as it arrives if that is ok with Gene...I don't know what lind of arrangement you have with him.

By the way, that was a good car. It didn't hit anything during the accident, it just rolled in the mud on the side of the road once. The roll happened about 20mph at that point of the incident.

Later, Ed
Old 08-27-2003, 09:50 AM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,870 Likes on 1,085 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Re: ZR1 Convertible? Anyone chop their car into one? (CATBUCS)

John Caravaggio in Canada can do a 'vert conversion on a ZR-1. He has done quite a few convertible Z06 conversions.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:36 AM
PaceThis
Race Director

Default Re: ZR1 Convertible? Anyone chop their car into one? (CATBUCS)

Well what do you know... I'm glad that that car is going to get back on the road. The guy here in tampa that made the convertable, his name is Lenny and he owns the Classic Corvettes Shop. He should have a web address. And yes, it looked very good. However Gene, from the car shop said that he straightned out the roof post. Is that accurate?

Also , I am working on the title for you. I sent the paper work off yeaterday as this original transaction was lost which has caused the delay. It should be next week some time. If you want to not have me send it to Gene let me know and I can mail it to you as soon as it arrives if that is ok with Gene...I don't know what lind of arrangement you have with him.

By the way, that was a good car. It didn't hit anything during the accident, it just rolled in the mud on the side of the road once. The roll happened about 20mph at that point of the incident.

Later, Ed
Hi Ed,
Your car is very deserving of getting back on the road, and it will likely become pursue more glory in it's new form, whatever that decides to be. I'm looking into making it a convertible and/or a lingenfelter aerobody kit. Gene told me that he believes the center bar structure is undamaged, just needing a cover, but I'll see on Tuesday when it arrives.
When you get the title, just send it on the Gene per your transaction, and he can forward it up here. I'm in no hurry as the car is months away from needing a tag...
Old 08-27-2003, 10:40 AM
PaceThis
Race Director

Default Re: ZR1 Convertible? Anyone chop their car into one? (USAZR1)

John Caravaggio in Canada can do a 'vert conversion on a ZR-1. He has done quite a few convertible Z06 conversions.
Not saying he couldn't do it, BUT. . .
There's a lot of difference in making a z06 vert and a zr1 vert...
1. the z06 was built on the same chassis as the vert, and doesn't require any additional structuring when the roof is chopped
2. the z06 doesn't have a hatch glass area to fill in, it already has the same trunk lid as the vert.
3. fenders are probably the same on a z06 as the vert, if not, they're readily exchangeable (don't think the c4 vert fenders will work on a wide zr1)
4. convertible boot is a perfect fit once roof is removed on z06. on the zr1, it's 3 inches shy of the edges...

It's certainly going to be a project, but I'm fortunate to know some good body guys who might be able to make this a reality.

I can still use help with ideas, etc though, so keep them coming...
Old 08-27-2003, 12:42 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Not saying he couldn't do it, BUT. . .
There's a lot of difference in making a z06 vert and a zr1 vert...
1. the z06 was built on the same chassis as the vert, and doesn't require any additional structuring when the roof is chopped
2. the z06 doesn't have a hatch glass area to fill in, it already has the same trunk lid as the vert.
3. fenders are probably the same on a z06 as the vert, if not, they're readily exchangeable (don't think the c4 vert fenders will work on a wide zr1)
4. convertible boot is a perfect fit once roof is removed on z06. on the zr1, it's 3 inches shy of the edges...

It's certainly going to be a project, but I'm fortunate to know some good body guys who might be able to make this a reality.

I can still use help with ideas, etc though, so keep them coming...
John actually has done a few ZR-1 convertibles, and was the official goto guy for Rippie when they first introduced this option in 95. He never ended up doing many since production ended in 95 as well. He is more than capable of this conversion. :seeya
Old 08-27-2003, 05:13 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Default Re: ZR1 Convertible? Anyone chop their car into one? (Bans25)

It does, its a simple X brace that I think can be bolted to coupes also..
Bolts in :cheers:
Old 08-27-2003, 08:32 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,870 Likes on 1,085 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Re: ZR1 Convertible? Anyone chop their car into one? (*89x2*)

Caravaggio also builds and sells a tubular x-brace for C4's that would probably work well on a Spyder conversion.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 Convertible? Anyone chop their car into one?

Quick Reply: ZR1 Convertible? Anyone chop their car into one?