C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Active Suspension = procharger for LT5?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 01:28 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Active Suspension = procharger for LT5?????

I was just cruising over on the actioncenter, and was looking at the pics of the active suspension version of the ZR-1:

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/cgi-...0.jpg&img=&tt=

I thought: Hey - if they can cram this huge monster of a machine to drive the hydraulics of it beside the engine, why not a procharger? The hydaulic is belt driven, just like a procharger would be!! Cmon people, lets supercharge this bi-otch, and make it cheap to do!! :seeya
Old 08-05-2003, 01:41 PM
lampedusa
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Active Suspension = procharger for LT5????? (DDSLT5)

bi-otch huh? Haha, Dwight you ca get me laughing every post!

I think that'd be a great idea, but now that you are the proud owner of a 650hp 415 cube motor, I think that the procharger might send you over the edge. After all, they guarantee that you can get a 55%-75% increase in power. So for you, lets say you get a bare minimum 50% increase. Whoops, hows that for another 325 horses? That puts you mighty close to that magic number.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:56 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Default Re: Active Suspension = procharger for LT5????? (lampedusa)

So for you, lets say you get a bare minimum 50% increase. Whoops, hows that for another 325 horses? That puts you mighty close to that magic number.

Hehehehehehehehehehehe - YES, you see my mania. Actually, I'd love to see a cheap way of adding 200 hp to a stock engine - wouldn't that be killer? I'd rush out and buy that polo green 93 in my area, and supercharge it instantly. I would still treasure the 415 because NA power is still the best, IMO, but to be able to add a 6K supercharger to our cars - just think what would happen to ZR-1 prices!!!!! Pick up a 90 for 25K, sink 6K into it, and smoke any and all competition!!! Very nice!!

The other reason why I wouldn't put it on the 415 is that my stock fuel delivery system is maxed out with what it'll be producing, or close to it. I'd definitely have to add the RC injectors, and put a boost-a-pump in line (like the one that comes with the NOS kit) to maintain enough fuel pressure - but, IT COULD BE DONE!!!! Don't get me thinking man, I haven't even driven the 415 yet!!! :thumbs: :steering:
Old 08-05-2003, 02:02 PM
ShawnZR-1
Race Director

Received 88 Likes on 34 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'10-'11-'12

Well, it's not so much the pump being stuffed in there, but all of the required plumbing! There's some big pipes that have to be routed around in there.

On the other hand, there are several pro-charged LT1's out there with ASR, headers and all. If they can find a way to shove more air into the plenum, why can't we???? :skep:
Old 08-05-2003, 02:04 PM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 35 Posts

Can you imagine the maintenance on that motor? Wanna change plugs? Only if you pull the blower, thank you very much.

Although it would ruin the beauty of the motor, I think a Kenne Bell Blowzilla in place of the upper intake would be more practical. The '03 Cobra guys are making 550-600 rwhp easily with 1.1 less liters with this blower.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:08 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Default Re: Active Suspension = procharger for LT5????? (ShawnZR-1)

You're absolutely right about the procharged LT1s - there isn't much room but you really don't need much room, as the pipes aren't relying on vacuum - they are pressurized - and when you look at the procharged LT1, it really crams it in there - but the LT1 uses the same rad and rad shroud, so all the LT1 stuff would fit under the hood. Maybe the LT1 pump would fit - just needs a retrofit to allow the belt to be re-routed, and to hook up to the air horn. Man - this really isn't that hard - I'm going over to the C4 forced induction discussion to look for some pics of a procharged LT1 to look at - I'll post it here. :seeya
Old 08-05-2003, 02:16 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Here are some good pics - didn't take long!! This set-up wouldn't cover the plugs or take away from the beauty of the engine either!!!

I left a message with the fellas who own these cars - this is a Vortech I believe - more info will be forthcoming when I know more!! :seeya
Old 08-05-2003, 03:48 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,874 Likes on 1,088 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I've often thought the Magnusson blower set-up for the LS1/LS6 cars could be re-engineered for the LT5. Rick Kirk of Kirk Machine in Oklahoma was working on a similar LT5 set-up for GM when they cancelled the LT5 program.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:55 PM
zr11990broken
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Active Suspension = procharger for LT5????? (USAZR1)

Bill K has done one . He said the only problem is tuning it. How are you gonna keep from blowing the heads off of it
Old 08-05-2003, 04:41 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Default Re: Active Suspension = procharger for LT5????? (zr11990broken)

with lower compressions and taller liners that intersect grooves in the heads, the HG is isolated from the cyl pressure and the engine is VERY durable.

the TT ZR1s from LPE have had good reliability. I would favor the turbos over the blower as they flow a TON more air, easier to manage the boost, and also are easier to package back by the bell housing (aka like LPE and callaway).

but yes I agree, if you are willing to relocated the AC plumbing and do some very creative (albeit expensive) reloation and tuning anything is possible.

don't bother trying to supercharge the 11-1 engine unless you want to run Alchy. now, that would be the ticket huh!!!

otherwise a nice 9-1 CR would be just the ticket with a 368
Old 08-05-2003, 04:48 PM
bhamvett
Safety Car

Default Re: Active Suspension = procharger for LT5????? (zr11990broken)

Tuning would be a bitc#!
Old 08-05-2003, 06:05 PM
zr11990broken
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Active Suspension = procharger for LT5????? (bhamvett)

Ill let you use my car for the guinny pig. you build it Ill pay for the parts :eek: :eek: :eek:
Old 08-05-2003, 08:24 PM
90 Corvette ZR-1
Le Mans Master

I've been thinking about this alot also. I think it came from one too many "business writing" classes. My biggest problem with this, besides the space issue, is will the belts hold at the RPM's that we like to turn on a regular basis? With a fuel system that would be added to this, I don't think that 7500+ is out of the question to make power at.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:50 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Default Re: Active Suspension = procharger for LT5????? (90 Corvette ZR-1)

Maybe a different style belt would be in order - but with the supercharger, we'd only likely be running about 6 psi, so that isn't too much strain for the belt. I'm off to look at the Vortech site, and see what it has to say. :seeya
Old 08-05-2003, 09:06 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Take a look at this LT1 with the Vortech unit on it (the intercooler isn't in place, obviously) - when mounted in this location, we might have to relocate the alternator, or not.

Why hasn't anyone investigated this? As far as lowering the compression ratio, it shouldn't be necessary. The LT5 has an efficient combustion chamber - just keep the boost low - 6-8 psi through an intercooler, and all should be fine. The knock sensor still works, after all. Tuning is quite foreign to me - but since the supercharger operates directly proportionately to the rpms, shouldn't it be much easier than variable boosting of turbos? And turbos have been done by LPE, Mallet, Callaway, Geiger - to name a few. Still thinking out loud here.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:33 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,148 Likes on 601 Posts

The problem with putting a centrifugal supercharger on an LT5 is the size of the blower. The hydraulic pump for the Active Ride cars was somewhat long but not that large in diameter. A centrifugal supercharger is somewhat short but fairly large in diameter.

Packaging a centrifugal blower on an LT5 would be quite a challenge
Old 08-06-2003, 03:35 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Default Re: Active Suspension = procharger for LT5????? (Hib Halverson)

Check out this pic - lower left - see how the blower tucks in nice and neat? The pump and reservoir for the power steering is left unmolested - there is definitely enough room at the spot, isn't there? The LT1 has A/C too!!

Get notified of new replies

To Active Suspension = procharger for LT5?????

Old 08-06-2003, 03:37 PM
90 Corvette ZR-1
Le Mans Master

I still have major issues with the belts on this set up. I don't see them staying together very long.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:08 PM
threestar40
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Active Suspension = procharger for LT5????? (90 Corvette ZR-1)

Hey Ron,

I would like to here your opinion about why we need to lower the compression ratio as well.

If you put enough gas with the boost...what does it matter.

I know its hard, but are you only thinking of safety or do you think the lt5 would not hold up to that much compression?

I keep hearing, if your gonna turbocharge or supercharge, you gotta lower the CR, but I don't understand it. Again, it seems to be a question of air:fuel ratio to me.

With an EASILY TUNABLE fuel injection system it also seems to me it wouldn't matter what the "static" compression ratio is.

Is it about durability or is it about tunability or is it about making it blow the back tires off of it? :jester

Maybe you could help us understand a little better? :confused:

Rick :flag :cool: :cheers: :chevy

[Modified by threestar40, 10:24 PM 8/9/2003]
Old 08-07-2003, 09:32 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Hi rick,

lowering the CR isn't necessary with 6 psi of boost as evidenced by the successful LS6 supercharged engines. problem is, relatively low boost and HIGH CR aren't generally as ez to get to work as low compression with a bit higher boost. sure, you could probably get 200 HP, but you can do that with a stroker and a "proven" approach. the blowers consume hp, add heat, and the cyl pressure created can easily push out the Head gasket, or rattle the pistons and bearings to death.

after blowing up 4 turbo buick engines I learned ALOT about detonation!!!

hib is right that the "packaging" is tough. I would sure like to try it, and use and aftermarket computer on the secondary injectors with a wide band 02 like the Accell 8 or FAST computer for boosted conditions. it would make the tuning MUCH easier, and the LT5 is a natural for this. you could use bigger secondary injectors, and have the factory computer manage the part throttle, emissions, and "off boost" part throttle and use the aftermaket computer to ramp up the fuel curve for boosted performance.

OK, lets do it, cough up the $$$$ !!!!!

as for me, I got tired of talking about it, bought a stroker LT5 got the 600 HP I needed and called it a day. it's what everyone advised and it works and makes as much power as I can really use.

someday though, a twin turbo zr1 would be awesome. and for turbos, going with lower compression and high boost would be the only thing worth while to reach HIGH HP (like 800+) and make the substantial investment worth while.

for 600 hp, a nice little blower like vortec would work, but don't think a ""budget" approach will work until someone steps up and engineers a kit (not AT ALL likely). l would recommend maybe a hydraulic coupler to allow the lt5 to turn a hyd pump and then postion the blower anywhere you want!!! it would be a bit less efficient, but might cure the belt slippage and packaging issues because you could now position the blower anywhere there is room like up in the nose.

otherwise, plan on moving the cooling stack, AC plumbing, and some other fairly radical fabrication to find room for the blower and plumbing.

or just build the PROVEN twin turbo approach and run 9's.

sure it cost 54K, but ask the guys that have them, they ROCK!!!!

sorry guys for th long rant, but the turbos are the way to go IMHO.

maybe a new whipple charger with a high hood or magnacharger could work too, but I'm not about to step up with the $$$ anytime soon.

keep the dialog going, it's fun to kick around the ideas. cya!!!

Quick Reply: Active Suspension = procharger for LT5?????