C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

It is difficult to but targa top back..

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 01:43 PM
Mylzi
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default It is difficult to but targa top back..

I wonder if I am only one who has had problems put targa top back to car..

Last two times when I did remove it.. It didnt want to go back.. :mad

It was not hard to get top back on it place.. Even it is quite big move alone.. But when I try get bolts back.. rear bolts go fine.. but it is hard get front bolts on their place.. Last time I had rear bolts and front left bolt ok.. but front right bolt didnt want to go.. Hole just was not on right place.. :mad

Well.. Now it scares remove top again.. Last time I did fight 60min to get it back.. :mad :mad

:banghead:
Old 02-04-2003, 03:34 PM
W i l l
Racer

Default Re: It is difficult to but targa top back.. (Mylzi)

Mylzi,

You need to adjust the front brackets on the targa top. The best way to do it is to loosen the torx bolts that hold the front brackets on. Keep them snug, though, so the mounting brackets will only move if you push on them. Then put the top on the car and put all the bolts in, starting with the back ones. This should align the front brackets with the holes. Now carefully take the top back off being careful not to disturb the front brackets, and then tighten the front mounting bracket torx screws back down. You cannot access those screws while the top is in place. I believe they take the same size torx bit as the holddown bolts (the wrench in your console).

Good luck,

Will
'90 blk/blk
'90 red/red LPE 415
Old 02-04-2003, 04:31 PM
Scoob
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You must make certain that you are parked on a perfectly level surface before installing the top. If your car isn't level the body flex will cause you all kinds of trouble.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:36 PM
Scoob
Team Owner

If your top still won't go on even when you are on a level surface check out this thread for a post of mine on how to align your top.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=479293
Old 02-04-2003, 04:40 PM
A26B
Drifting

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

Mylzi,

Actually you can access the bolts to secure the front alignment pins with the top on, but it takes the procedure that Scoob posted with some excellent pictures. Level surface is a requirement. I put 2 new tops on my car using the same procedure and it's no big deal, just takes a little time, but well worth it for proper fit.

Old 02-04-2003, 04:43 PM
backtrail69
Race Director

St. Jude Contributor

that sounds not hot :yesnod:
Old 02-05-2003, 08:54 AM
ZR-1 Mark
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Re: It is difficult to but targa top back.. (backtrail69)

backtrail69,

Has anyone ever told you that you look like Anthony Soprano Jr.......
Every time I see you in that car, I think of him :yesnod: :yesnod:

Oh well,
Cya
Old 02-05-2003, 09:06 AM
90 Corvette ZR-1
Le Mans Master

Default Re: It is difficult to but targa top back.. (Scoob)

You must make certain that you are parked on a perfectly level surface before installing the top. If your car isn't level the body flex will cause you all kinds of trouble.
Yep. I've had that same damn problem.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:10 AM
Mylzi
Drifting

Default Re: It is difficult to but targa top back.. (ZR-1 Mark)

So.. I am not only one who watch Sopranos on tv ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

[Modified by Mylzi, 8:11 AM 2/5/2003]
Old 02-11-2003, 01:54 AM
energizer1984
Advanced

you know, i had the same problem with the first C-4 that i owned. and went as far as stripping out one of the bolt holes on the front. the thing i learned real fast is to thread in the front bolts first, just leaving them slightly loose. then thread in and tighten the rear bolts, and finish up with tightening the front bolts. makes the top go on much easier. the reason for this is that when you tighten up the rear bolts first it pulls the top away from the windshield header just enough to misalign the front bolts. when you instal teh front bolts first then the rear, it pulls the whole top, windshield header, and targa bar together into a solid unit. hope this is of some help guys.
:steering:
Old 02-11-2003, 06:24 AM
Mylzi
Drifting

Default Re: It is difficult to but targa top back.. (energizer1984)

Thanks Energizer.. :) You know people always told me to thread rear bolts first.. But I guess I try front bolts first next time.. or then I try those instructions that I got.. Those front bolts where a real problem.. You know.. I did figt about 60min to get bolts on front... and last time I did have rear bolts and left front ok.. but right front didnt fit.. no matter what I try.. And after long fight.. when you have to open those 3 bolts.. and try everything again.. It really sucks.

On those instruction that I got.. only think that worrys me a little.. Is talk about spring that I dont want to lose... Where there is a spring? On those solar.. what ever those two are called that you turn that sun does not shine to your eyes.. :D Is there a spring? and is it easy to get back?
Old 02-11-2003, 10:11 AM
Scoob
Team Owner

On those instruction that I got.. only think that worrys me a little.. Is talk about spring that I dont want to lose... Where there is a spring? On those solar.. what ever those two are called that you turn that sun does not shine to your eyes.. :D Is there a spring? and is it easy to get back?
Mylzi, yes, you encounter the spring when you remove the sun visors. Look at the picture for step 3 in the document. I circled where you'll find the spring. In the picture you see the silver retaining clip. Under that clip is the spring. It's not loaded with a lot of energy but still be very careful when removing the retaining clip that the spring doesn't spring out and hit you in the eye. I didn't have that problem but I wore safety glasses just in case.
Old 02-11-2003, 10:16 AM
Z Factor
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess that I'm lucky because I've had no problems what so ever. Reading Scoob's suggestion {very good and detailed) on how it should be done, I'm glad not to have problems. If it took me an hour to refit it properly, I'd rarely take it off.

For me, I follow the owners manual. Place the top properly, tighten the rear bolts first, then seat and tighten the front. Takes me all of 5-10 minutes with a perfect fit. Being on a flat even surface is a must, as has been mentioned already.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:15 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: It is difficult to but targa top back.. (W i l l)

Mylzi,

You need to adjust the front brackets on the targa top. The best way to do it is to loosen the torx bolts that hold the front brackets on. Keep them snug, though, so the mounting brackets will only move if you push on them. Then put the top on the car and put all the bolts in, starting with the back ones. This should align the front brackets with the holes. Now carefully take the top back off being careful not to disturb the front brackets, and then tighten the front mounting bracket torx screws back down. You cannot access those screws while the top is in place. I believe they take the same size torx bit as the holddown bolts (the wrench in your console).

Good luck,

He is right, I had the same problem with my 96 back in college...also, if your roof is squeking...that is the first place to look. I tightened those bolts and the noise stopped.

Will
'90 blk/blk
'90 red/red LPE 415
:thumbs:
Old 02-18-2003, 08:16 PM
Chief Muktar
Racer

Default Re: It is difficult to but targa top back.. (Z Factor)

For me, I follow the owners manual. Place the top properly, tighten the rear bolts first, then seat and tighten the front. Takes me all of 5-10 minutes with a perfect fit. Being on a flat even surface is a must, as has been mentioned already.
5-10 minutes? wow I usually only take a minute to secure mine, maybe 2 at the most, even with trying to find the bloody ratchet in all the junk I keep in the centre console :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To It is difficult to but targa top back..

Quick Reply: It is difficult to but targa top back..