C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

TargaGlass Top installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 12:33 AM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 223 Posts

Default Targa Top installation

What is the "proper" procedure to fit a top to a C4? Set the back, loosen the front, tighten down, etc? Having a hard time with a used blue top. The front won't sit down properly.

Thanks,
D.

[Modified by ZR-1DUDE, 11:34 PM 1/24/2003]
Old 01-25-2003, 11:02 AM
Scoob
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Targa Top installation (ZR-1DUDE)

OK, here is a post I made in the summer on how to fit/align a C4 top. There are other short-cut methods but those always resulted in unsatisfactory fit imho. This way takes about an hour but it is well worth it. I did this on my '89 but the process would be the same for a ZR1.

Also, I noticed that the archived post doesn't have the pictures anymore. I'll search my PC for the original file I wrote up and see if I can get something posted here with the pictures.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=406769
Old 01-25-2003, 11:07 AM
Scoob
Team Owner

Default Re: Targa Top installation (Scoob)

OK, I found the Word document I originally wrote this up in. If anyone would like the file, complete with pictures, just drop me an email.

I'll also post it below if I can.
Old 01-25-2003, 11:14 AM
Scoob
Team Owner

How fun is trying to align a roof panel to properly fit a C4? Not much.

I bought a GM transparent top to compliment my factory solid black top. The first time I tried to install it I spent about 90 minutes trying to get the front brackets to line up right for a snug fit. I used the Sharpee marker pen method. First I loosened the front mounting brackets, installed the roof, marked the position with the pen, carefully removed the roof so as to not disturb the position of the bracket, tightened the bracket, re-installed the roof. It worked but somehow the top never fit exactly right. So I said to myself, “Self, there’s got to be a better way.” So I set out in search of it. And I’m pretty sure I found it. It’ll take you about an hour to do this but it is real easy. So easy I thought of it, that’s how easy.

Step 1: This is the front mounting bracket I’m talking about. There is one on each front corner of the roof. Go ahead and loosen the 2 bolts holding the brackets to the roof. Loosen them just enough so that the bracket can move around. You do not need to remove them. You can use your roof removal tool to loosen these bolts. Loosen both brackets.

Step 2: Outside the car. You need to remove the 2 small trim piece that runs along the top of the windshield by the sun visors. Driver side piece shown below. Each piece is held on by 2 screws. Remove the trim piece from each side.

Step 3: You now need to remove the sun visors. This is easily accomplished by using a regular screwdriver to pry up the fastener shown below. Do this carefully as there is a spring under there that you do not want to lose. There is not a lot of tension on the spring so you shouldn’t have to worry about it popping up and taking your eye out. But just in case maybe you should wear eye protection. Remove the fastener from each side. With the fastener removed the sun visor just pulls out from inside the car. If you have vanity mirrors on your visors be careful so that you don’t break the wires. Gently let the visors hang.

Step 4: Inside the car. Now you need to remove the trim piece that runs along the length of the top of the windshield. This is held on by 6 (if I remember correctly) small screws. Once you get all the screws out you can pull the piece down and out of your way.

Here is what it looks like with the trim piece out of the way.

Step 5: Now install your roof. With the roof installed and all the trim out of the way you will see that there are access holes for the roof mounting brackets now easily accessible to you. (Sorry the pics are blurry.)

Get the roof panel situated correctly so that the fit is good. Insert and slightly tighten the front roof mounting bolts. But do not tighten them all the way yet. This is how you get the front brackets aligned properly. Now, using your roof removal tool get up there and tighten the bracket bolts securely. After you tighten both roof brackets go ahead and finish installing the roof by securely tightening all 4 roof mounting bolts. You should now have a properly fitting and aligned roof panel.

Step 6: Re-install all of your trim pieces and your sun visors.

As I mentioned at the top I used this method to properly align a top I bought that was originally on a ’96 C4. I then used this procedure to align my factory top. I was pleasantly surprised to find that re-aligning the factory solid top actually reduced the amount of water that would leak in when it rained or when I washed it.
Old 01-25-2003, 02:35 PM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 223 Posts

Can't find your e-mail. Can you shoot me the doc?
ddivinia@yahoo.com

Thanks,
D.
Old 01-25-2003, 04:03 PM
Scoob
Team Owner

Default Re: Targa Top installation (ZR-1DUDE)

When you click on a person's screen name over there

<-------------

You get their profile and if they make their emails public that is where you will find it.

I sent it to you. Let me know if you don't get it as we're having server problems today.
Old 02-09-2003, 09:49 AM
Mylzi
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Scoop. Please send me document too.. :cheers:

Old 02-09-2003, 09:55 AM
Mylzi
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I did understand that correct.. You have to take all those parts of front brickets on windshield.. Course after that you can access to bolts that are on targatop thrue windshield brickets when top is on car.. Any move those parts on targa top to correct position when top is top of car. Or something like that.. :lol: :lol:

After moving those parts of front brickets .. you can see holes where you can see those bolts on targa top. :cool:

Old 02-10-2003, 08:58 AM
Scoob
Team Owner

Default Re: Targa Top installation (Mylzi)

Hi Scoop. Please send me document too.. :cheers:
I just sent you the file, Mylzi. If you have any questions feel free to ask me.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:47 AM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Excellent write-up Scoob - very clear and concise. Are you an LT5 registry member? That would be a great addition to the KOTH magazine!!!

Thanks for posting!

:seeya
Old 02-10-2003, 11:53 AM
Scoob
Team Owner

Default Re: Targa Top installation (DDSLT5)

Excellent write-up Scoob - very clear and concise. Are you an LT5 registry member? That would be a great addition to the KOTH magazine!!!

Thanks for posting!

:seeya
I'm not a member yet. But I will be. I do need to polish that document up a bit to include a couple more minor points but then we can discuss.

Get notified of new replies

To TargaGlass Top installation

Quick Reply: TargaGlass Top installation