C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Motor mount wraps touching headers and an interesting find

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2023, 09:35 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Default Motor mount wraps touching headers and an interesting find

I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this interference issue. While under the car today, I noticed the factory reflective heat wraps were in contact with the headers on the driver side. I’m curious to know what others have done to resolve this if you’ve had the same issue. It’s pretty dense, tightly packed stuff around the motor mounts, so I don’t think there’s much room for “tightening” the wraps. Also not a lot of room for hands.

And now for something that may be common knowledge for some or maybe it’s just coincidence. I happened to be looking at the right area at the right time and I noticed my oil pan has “ZTK” on the side of the mounting flange on the driver side. Granted, it is at the end of a series of numbers, but I wondered if this was ZR-1/ZR1 specific alphabet jargon. May just be coincidence.
Old 07-05-2023, 11:54 AM
A26B
Drifting

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

The alpha-numeric stampings are actually on the lower crankcase rail that the oil pan attaches to. That series of characters is the Mercury Marine SN. De-coded, provides the date the engine was assembled and its order in the number of engines assembled on that date.

Last edited by A26B; 07-05-2023 at 12:01 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by A26B:
95ZR1 (07-10-2023), Daniel_Mc (07-10-2023), HAWAIIZR-1 (07-10-2023)
Old 07-10-2023, 06:36 AM
HAWAIIZR-1
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this interference issue. While under the car today, I noticed the factory reflective heat wraps were in contact with the headers on the driver side. I’m curious to know what others have done to resolve this if you’ve had the same issue. It’s pretty dense, tightly packed stuff around the motor mounts, so I don’t think there’s much room for “tightening” the wraps. Also not a lot of room for hands.

And now for something that may be common knowledge for some or maybe it’s just coincidence. I happened to be looking at the right area at the right time and I noticed my oil pan has “ZTK” on the side of the mounting flange on the driver side. Granted, it is at the end of a series of numbers, but I wondered if this was ZR-1/ZR1 specific alphabet jargon. May just be coincidence.
Forgive me if my memory is off. When I rebuilt my motor in 2010, the insulation was coming unwrapped so I recovered them. One of them was cracked too so it needed replacement anyway. If I’m not mistaken you can remove the K support despite is seems like it holds up the motor it does not. You can lift your motor and remove the motor mount to inspect/replace if needed and do similar.

The following 4 users liked this post by HAWAIIZR-1:
'78CorvetteS.A. (07-16-2023), 95ZR1 (07-10-2023), coreseller (07-10-2023), Daniel_Mc (07-10-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 03:14 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by A26B
The alpha-numeric stampings are actually on the lower crankcase rail that the oil pan attaches to. That series of characters is the Mercury Marine SN. De-coded, provides the date the engine was assembled and its order in the number of engines assembled on that date.

Thank you for the information, Jerry! It’s always nice to learn a little more about these cars.

Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1
Forgive me if my memory is off. When I rebuilt my motor in 2010, the insulation was coming unwrapped so I recovered them. One of them was cracked too so it needed replacement anyway. If I’m not mistaken you can remove the K support despite is seems like it holds up the motor it does not. You can lift your motor and remove the motor mount to inspect/replace if needed and do similar.

Thanks for the information on this. As far as lifting the motor: I’ve wondered the best way to do this without damaging anything. I actually have LT5 specific engine lifting brackets.
Old 07-11-2023, 07:03 PM
HAWAIIZR-1
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
Thank you for the information, Jerry! It’s always nice to learn a little more about these cars.

Thanks for the information on this. As far as lifting the motor: I’ve wondered the best way to do this without damaging anything. I actually have LT5 specific engine lifting brackets.
I have a set of those GM brackets, but only used it for pulling the motor once and not even really needed. But for this, you're barely lifting the motor to get the mount out, but more of supporting it. You can do some searches for videos/posts of 91+with LT1/LT4/LT5 since early models have different style mount, a block of wood (piece of 2X6, etc) under the oil pan with a floor jack should be enough to take tension off the mount to remove the bolt and pull out assembly.

LT1 engine mounts - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

replacing motor mounts on lt1? - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Get notified of new replies

To Motor mount wraps touching headers and an interesting find

Quick Reply: Motor mount wraps touching headers and an interesting find