C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Considering a 91 ZR-1

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2022, 06:59 AM
Idahorocks
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Considering a 91 ZR-1

There is a '91 ZR-1 for sale in the Dallas Ft. Worth area that I am considering. It has been on the market since mid-summer and it appears to be priced below market value. It looks to be a good example for the price with the only downside being the aftermarket radio, but that is only the purist in me thinking. Is anyone here familiar with this particular Corvette or have any ZR-1 LT-5 specific suggestions for me to inspect if I go look at it? Does this car give anyone pause? I just parted ways with my first C4 ('95 base w/ 170k miles) so I'm familiar with general issues with C4's. It seems like a good deal that has been on the market for several months is a red flag. But I was also impressed enough with my high miles C4 base that I want to see what kind of smiles I get with the top of the line. Thanks!

https://www.nescotx.com/inventory/ch...model=corvette
Old 11-12-2022, 08:59 AM
coreseller
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 85 Posts

I just read your thread in the C4 section, very impressive how you brought that example back. Having recently gone through a C4 ZR1 purchase, I'd suggest enlisting the help from a fellow forum member in the area to lay eyes on it before making the trip, in my case I got lucky and had a member step up and help out.

Not positive but I believe swapping out the head unit isn't the easy task it can be on most cars, I'm sure others smarter than me will chime in. Service history and a clean carfax are big plusses, along with new fuel injectors, coils, plugs and wires, check for windshield delamination also,

Great resource: http://www.zr1.net/forum/
Old 11-12-2022, 10:01 AM
Idahorocks
Intermediate

Thanks for the advice coreseller. Though my username implies I'm in Idaho (grew up there and I'm a geologist) I'm actually only 30 minutes from the dealer. Planning on going there today to give it a look. There are some general ZR-1 inspection suggestions that I've found on the forum that will help giving me a checklist of things to look for. General function of all the components, inspect fluids, look for leaks, gauges read normal, no odd sounds or smells, smooth shifts, power switch key functions. If these are good there may still be hidden problems that only a deeper dive that a PPI will solve, so I may opt for one if the first pass inspection looks good.
Old 11-12-2022, 10:19 AM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

For starters - You'll want to know if the injectors were ever replaced. Any codes?- AC, infl res, etc. Do a search on here and the zr1.net forum.
That price to me seems just a little high for that mileage.
Old 11-12-2022, 02:15 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,143 Likes on 846 Posts

Hey Idaho,

PM me with your cell and we can talk. I have a 91 ZR1 with a few mods and live in Southlake so I might be able to answer a few questions. Also, if you want and inspection I have "the" guy in Hurst to take a look if you go that route.
Old 11-12-2022, 03:04 PM
Idahorocks
Intermediate

Hi Bill, thanks for the offer but I'm going to pass on this ZR1. I looked at it but wasn't that impressed. It's a 10 footer for paint but up close it appears the clear coat is crazing. The windshield is cloudy around the edges, probably the delamination I've read about. Tires are date coded 2016. Some of the weatherstripping is dry rotted. Might have sat in the elements for a while. Opened the door and the interior is clean and in great shape. I sat in the car and turn the key to on. Steering wheel is solid with no play and the multifunction switch is crisp. Headlights worked well. The power windows and seats worked, aftermarket stereo sounded fine. Put it in neutral, applied the parking brake and started it up. Started quickly but heard a little chatter from the top end of the motor for about 10 seconds before quieting down. Seemed to idle fine. Insturment cluster seemed to function normally and the LCD was good. Clutch felt a bit spongey before I tried shifting through the gears. It didn't feel like it wanted to go into reverse easily. I turned the power switch key but nothing happened, the indicator light light didn't turn on. Not sure if I was doing it right but my assumption is it wasn't working. Released the parking brake but it was stuck in the engaged position. It seemed to me that there was more work needed on this ZR1 than I was willing to accept for the price point so I didn't bother to test drive it. This felt more like a $15k car instead of $24.
Old 11-12-2022, 03:13 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Idahorocks
Hi Bill, thanks for the offer but I'm going to pass on this ZR1.
Roger that. Have you looked at the ZR1NetRegistry.com?

Lots of knowledgeable guys and squared away cars there.
Old 11-12-2022, 04:15 PM
Topduarte
Safety Car

Received 835 Likes on 548 Posts

Was this the black on black with 72k miles listed for $22,995?
Old 11-12-2022, 05:06 PM
Idahorocks
Intermediate

Yes, that's the one.
Old 11-12-2022, 05:41 PM
Topduarte
Safety Car

Received 835 Likes on 548 Posts

I was wondering why it was listed for months at $23995 and they just dropped it this past week to $22,995.

After your inspection, it is probably worth $18k max imo.
Old 11-12-2022, 05:51 PM
JCSZ51
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

The price is high for the miles but being at a dealer makes sense. There is black 92 with 100k for $15,000 on marketplace now.
Old 11-13-2022, 08:48 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Just about all the issues u listed are fairly common and could be addressed at the right price.
Old 11-13-2022, 01:00 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Sounds like you made the right choice walking on it at that price. If you do your own work, it absorbs a lot of the cost of ownership. This is not the car for someone who needs a shop for any issue or issues that occur. The power key not working may mean a previous owner had someone like Marc Haibeck set the full power mode as always on. So no matter which way you twist the power key, it will always be on.
Old 11-13-2022, 01:36 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

"Released the parking brake but it was stuck in the engaged position."
When you say you released the brake, did you pull it up all the way, push in the button, then let it down? The brake won't disengage if the handle is just returned to the floor position.
Old 11-13-2022, 02:56 PM
Idahorocks
Intermediate

I hadn't considered the power switch being modified, or any other custom tunes or modifications. My default was a module wasn't working or that there is something more to engaging full power mode beyond simply turning the key when the engine is running. As for the parking brake I attempted to disengage by pushing the button while the handle was in the up position but no success. I had a similar issue with my '95 but it went away with a little WD40 while working the mechanism.

To be fair, I don't think this is a bad ZR-1 and I keep debating making what I feel is a reasonable offer to absorb the risk of unknown unknowns. Probably the biggest of which was the brief rattling from the engine on startup and spongy clutch. Just don't know if that is normal or concerning given the age and miles. And many of the other issues may be simple fixes, as others have pointed out. Simple fixes is actually what I'm looking for and gives me excuses for escaping to the garage. Just trying to avoid imminent major mechanical problems. The dealer has had this listed for a good while and may be prepared to accept a fair offer.
Old 11-13-2022, 04:40 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Idahorocks
Probably the biggest of which was the brief rattling from the engine on startup and spongy clutch. Just don't know if that is normal or concerning given the age and miles.
Idaho, You have every reason to be cautious but know that a LT5 engine is a different beast. It will sound different, run different and need a different mind set. The dual over head cam, designed by Lotus, was serious cutting edge technology 30 years ago. The engine itself is damn near bullet proof and 70k on the engine is just teenager years.

You noises on start up can be everything from cam getting oil for the first time after not running for a while to the Dual Mass Flywheel being its normal noisy self until the engine idle smooths out. Spongy clutch can happen from non use and just needs to be pumped up. All normal but a bit disconcerting to one not familiar with the LT5.

Have you ever driven a ZR1? Once one drive these cars, all the crazy makes sense and you will want one.
The following 4 users liked this post by billschroeder5842:
1993C4LT1 (11-13-2022), Idahorocks (11-13-2022), the_seeker11 (11-14-2022), VikingTrad3r (11-14-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Considering a 91 ZR-1

Quick Reply: Considering a 91 ZR-1