C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

1991 ZR1 with 45k miles goes for $18500 at GAA auction

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 08:08 AM
slammin
Pro

Received 156 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by DKM-106
The car was originally listed on eBay for $27,500 or best offer ending without a bid1/4. It was relisted and sold 1/12 for $22,000. Another eBay dead beat bidder.

Last edited by slammin; 01-23-2023 at 08:10 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-23-2023, 08:30 AM
Drbobzr1
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

in my very humble experience, .... Bought quite a few C4: Zr1....There is Always a surprise of some kind, only natural in these cars, for example, gauge (volt gauge) that doesn't work, bladder that doesn't hold air, slow window, bad sport on the weather stripping...etc, etc..........I want to know all the other stuff....under plenum replacement items, miles, year, date code on the tires, been drag raced, leaks, lights work etc...etc....lets hear from the buyers that learned the hard way....There is a reason it went to an auction and sold Cheap, and then the buyer sold it on ebay for the cheap price and now its relisted........and to the guy that posted above me, maybe the "Dead beat" ebay bidder saw this car and said no way!!!!! What do you know about him/her or the car to make that judgement???..
Old 01-23-2023, 09:03 AM
slammin
Pro

Received 156 Likes on 122 Posts

Doc, Like you, I don't know the car, the buyer or the seller. What I do know, if you follow eBay and the sold vehicles, a large percentage of them don't close and are relisted. I'm no expert, but I've been buying and selling on the bay since 1998. Just my observations.
Old 01-23-2023, 01:05 PM
coreseller
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 85 Posts

Don't know the car, buyers or sellers either. What I DO know is that after figuring out what were fair prices and what to look for on C4 ZR1's, if one was put up for sale in good condition and well cared for at a reasonable asking price they did not last too long on the market.

Examples that languished on the market for many weeks / months did so for a reason.
Old 01-24-2023, 05:29 PM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by pappy.72
Yes, but what I don’t get it why it is cheaper than 80s and 90s IROC-Zs which is hilarious. Those things are huge turds.
I guess the market disagrees. I like them both.

The following 2 users liked this post by rudolph schenker:
70T/A400 (06-17-2023), Rogtht (03-30-2023)
Old 01-28-2023, 09:28 AM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,737 Likes on 876 Posts

Bigger money because so many had them in their youth. Not to many teenagers / 20 somethings, owed new ZR1's.
Old 03-27-2023, 11:32 AM
Rogtht
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1991 Corvette Zr-1 on Ebay

Hi Guy's,

So I'm the guy who purchased said Zr-1. I won the auction in Feb with a price of $21,150. I always wanted a ZR-1. I will answer all the questions about the car. This is my first Corvette and first ZR-1. It is not a NCRS show car for sure. It was repainted at some point. There are some paint blemishes that I will have addressed (crack in the paint on center of hood{probably left something on the plenum , rear bumper cover poorly repaired what looks like from bumping into something in reverse, scratch on lower part of drivers door and poorly repaired chips or scratches on rear drivers 1/4 panel), but it looks good from 10' like mentioned earlier. Underside has some scrapes and up front from curbs and speed bumps most likely. For the most part it is not modified, other than the chrome A-molds that I am not really a fan of so they will be changed. The radio is also not original but functions, has bluetooth which is nice because i rarely listen to the radio stations. Will eventually upgrade the speakers and head unit as well. ECM is remanufactured.

What needs attention so far... The power antenna is not working. The turn signal lever needs adjustment (left signal works but not the right signal). Driver seat bolsters do not operate (one hose fitting is busted on the junction block). Injectors need replacement I believe (long crank to start), maybe leaking down. Small oil leak from cam position sensor. Quite a few burnt out light bulbs (hood, spare tire, and information panel), will replace with LED. Tires need balancing (looks like some stick on weights fell or peeled off). Rear shade needs to be looked at (stuck in open position).

What has been done so far... Fluids changed (full synthetic). Air filter replaced (K&N) old one was filthy. New cam positioner o-ring and bolt sealed. Added fasteners to rear bumper cover that were missing (causing the bow or sag). New LED bulbs. Ordered the license plate bezels.

Looking to buy the injector kit from Jerry's, add the vert X brace, install the 1" lowering kit, cut and polish the paint clean the interior and start driving it to see what else pops up. I did take it for a quick ride to the gas station for some fresh gas and threw a can of Seafoam in. Runs well, slight hesitation but probably had old gas in it.

All in all I am happy with the car. I knew going into it that the car would need some attention. I am really excited to be a part of this family. I appreciate all the input you guy's add to this forum. I know I will not make everyone in here happy because I will not bring the car to showroom, show car potential. It is a driver for sure and that is what I look for. I will keep you all posted. Sorry for the long post, but I saw all the posts and replies about the car and felt the need to let you all know where the car went. I live in Ct and purchased it sight unseen, I know that is a huge risk but I have done it before. I will try to post some pics as well.

Last edited by Rogtht; 03-27-2023 at 12:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ghlkal (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 04:23 PM
VanSpeed
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

I to am a new ZR-1 owner, 2 weeks now, I posted in this section a little bit ago. I to have a few things to tinker with to address some issues. Enjoy, and look forward to seeing your updates.
Brian
Rogtht (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 10:55 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 504 Likes on 400 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Rogtht
All in all I am happy with the car.
Congratulations. None of those issues are a big deal, and it sounds like you have things under control.

Have you considered the vette2vette no-flex system instead of the X brace? (https://www.vette2vette.com/?q=produ...ner-bar-system )

There are plenty of show car quality Z's. I, like you, have a driver and enjoy it a lot.

The following 2 users liked this post by ghlkal:
Jodkdbaninne (03-28-2023), Rogtht (03-28-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 09:01 AM
Rogtht
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by ghlkal
Congratulations. None of those issues are a big deal, and it sounds like you have things under control.

Have you considered the vette2vette no-flex system instead of the X brace? (https://www.vette2vette.com/?q=produ...ner-bar-system )

There are plenty of show car quality Z's. I, like you, have a driver and enjoy it a lot.
Thanks Ghlkal. I already acquired an x brace from a convertible and have all the fasteners. Ordered the rivet nuts today so I should have it installed for the weekend. I did consider the V2V brace but I was able to get this one for $250. Thanks for the info!!
Old 03-29-2023, 08:46 PM
Rogtht
Heel & Toe

Default A couple pics of it home.

Hi Guy's,

So I'm the guy who purchased said Zr-1. I won the auction in Feb with a price of $21,150. I always wanted a ZR-1. I will answer all the questions about the car. This is my first Corvette and first ZR-1. It is not a NCRS show car for sure. It was repainted at some point. There are some paint blemishes that I will have addressed (crack in the paint on center of hood{probably left something on the plenum , rear bumper cover poorly repaired what looks like from bumping into something in reverse, scratch on lower part of drivers door and poorly repaired chips or scratches on rear drivers 1/4 panel), but it looks good from 10' like mentioned earlier. Underside has some scrapes and up front from curbs and speed bumps most likely. For the most part it is not modified, other than the chrome A-molds that I am not really a fan of so they will be changed. The radio is also not original but functions, has bluetooth which is nice because i rarely listen to the radio stations. Will eventually upgrade the speakers and head unit as well. ECM is remanufactured.

What needs attention so far... The power antenna is not working. The turn signal lever needs adjustment (left signal works but not the right signal). Driver seat bolsters do not operate (one hose fitting is busted on the junction block). Injectors need replacement I believe (long crank to start), maybe leaking down. Small oil leak from cam position sensor. Quite a few burnt out light bulbs (hood, spare tire, and information panel), will replace with LED. Tires need balancing (looks like some stick on weights fell or peeled off). Rear shade needs to be looked at (stuck in open position).

What has been done so far... Fluids changed (full synthetic). Air filter replaced (K&N) old one was filthy. New cam positioner o-ring and bolt sealed. Added fasteners to rear bumper cover that were missing (causing the bow or sag). New LED bulbs. Ordered the license plate bezels.

Looking to buy the injector kit from Jerry's, add the vert X brace, install the 1" lowering kit, cut and polish the paint clean the interior and start driving it to see what else pops up. I did take it for a quick ride to the gas station for some fresh gas and threw a can of Seafoam in. Runs well, slight hesitation but probably had old gas in it.

All in all I am happy with the car. I knew going into it that the car would need some attention. I am really excited to be a part of this family. I appreciate all the input you guy's add to this forum. I know I will not make everyone in here happy because I will not bring the car to showroom, show car potential. It is a driver for sure and that is what I look for. I will keep you all posted. Sorry for the long post, but I saw all the posts and replies about the car and felt the need to let you all know where the car went. I live in Ct and purchased it sight unseen, I know that is a huge risk but I have done it before. I will try to post some pics as well.
VanSpeed (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 09:22 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 504 Likes on 400 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Looks good

Getting the x-brace for $250 was a good deal and will work well to stiffen her up.
Rogtht (03-30-2023)
Old 03-30-2023, 02:48 PM
Rogtht
Heel & Toe

So I am looking at the VIN on the car and from what I see on this page is the last four numbers identify the production number. The last four on this car is 0062. If I understand this correctly, this car is #62 from 1991? Also is there a way to tell how many were produced in this color combination? White with grey interior. I am still amazed how much information is on this page and the levels of experience. I appreciate any and all input. Thanks!!!
Old 03-30-2023, 08:54 PM
VanSpeed
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

So I am looking at the VIN on the car and from what I see on this page is the last four numbers identify the production number. The last four on this car is 0062. If I understand this correctly, this car is #62 from 1991? Also is there a way to tell how many were produced in this color combination? White with grey interior. I am still amazed how much information is on this page and the levels of experience. I appreciate any and all input. Thanks!!!
I use this resource, which I found through the ZR-1 Net Registry site. Brian
https://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...n-numbers.html
Rogtht (03-30-2023)
Old 03-30-2023, 09:32 PM
Rogtht
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by VanSpeed
I use this resource, which I found through the ZR-1 Net Registry site. Brian
https://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...n-numbers.html
Thanks Brian!!
VanSpeed (03-30-2023)
Old 04-02-2023, 07:16 PM
Rogtht
Heel & Toe

Quick update on the ZR-1. Replaced the cheapo Dual radio with a Kenwood DMX4707S head unit with Apple CarPlay. That was fun…. Not The previous owner had the CDM still installed but used an adapter harness that plugged into the head unit plugs. They also ran new wires to the speakers and replaced the amplified ones from Bose. The power antenna wouldn’t work and the radio was acting funny so I wanted to replace it with something a little more modern. I picked up a harness adapter kit from Metra that plugs into the CDM plugs. That was fun getting out. Hahaha. I have everything connected and just waiting for a bracket kit to mount the new radio. The Dual one was just placed in the original location. Thankfully nothing was cut or hacked up. The power antenna works now and the sound is a lot better and the FM stations come in great now.

Also repaired the signal lever. Luckily the actuator plate just loosened up from the cam. Was able to reset and tighten it up. Just have to put the steering back wheel on. I had to order the tool for the lock plate. I guess I am not that strong as I used to be. I did the same job on my 91 RS without it.

Started replacing bulbs for the hood and interior.

Waiting on Amazon for the remaining bulbs, Royal Purple Synchromax for the transmission, tool for the lock ring, rear hatch shocks.

I’ll post some pics once everything is back together and all cleaned up. It’s starting to get nice out and I wanna start driving it!!
Old 04-03-2023, 07:29 AM
Dredgeguy
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 86 Posts

Make sure you join up at the ZR-1 Net Registry, it is only $35 for the year and you get to see and post photos on the forum and have access to member only sites and information. The shirt is worth the price of admission alone! Welcome, we have several members in CT and hope you will join us at Corvettes at Carlisle. We are also doing a Smokey Mountain run (#9) next month doing the Tail of the Dragon and others. Welcome aboard!
Rogtht (04-03-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To 1991 ZR1 with 45k miles goes for $18500 at GAA auction

Old 04-05-2023, 10:54 PM
hulksdaddy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quick update on the ZR-1. Replaced the cheapo Dual radio with a Kenwood DMX4707S head unit with Apple CarPlay. That was fun…. Not The previous owner had the CDM still installed but used an adapter harness that plugged into the head unit plugs. They also ran new wires to the speakers and replaced the amplified ones from Bose. The power antenna wouldn’t work and the radio was acting funny so I wanted to replace it with something a little more modern. I picked up a harness adapter kit from Metra that plugs into the CDM plugs. That was fun getting out. Hahaha. I have everything connected and just waiting for a bracket kit to mount the new radio. The Dual one was just placed in the original location. Thankfully nothing was cut or hacked up. The power antenna works now and the sound is a lot better and the FM stations come in great now.

Also repaired the signal lever. Luckily the actuator plate just loosened up from the cam. Was able to reset and tighten it up. Just have to put the steering back wheel on. I had to order the tool for the lock plate. I guess I am not that strong as I used to be. I did the same job on my 91 RS without it.

Started replacing bulbs for the hood and interior.

Waiting on Amazon for the remaining bulbs, Royal Purple Synchromax for the transmission, tool for the lock ring, rear hatch shocks.

I’ll post some pics once everything is back together and all cleaned up. It’s starting to get nice out and I wanna start driving it!!
Wherabouts in CT are you? I'm in Norwalk. Picked up a 90 Z last May.

Dave
Rogtht (04-09-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 08:04 AM
Rogtht
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by hulksdaddy
Wherabouts in CT are you? I'm in Norwalk. Picked up a 90 Z last May.

Dave
Hi Dave. I’m in Thomaston.
Old 04-09-2023, 08:13 AM
Rogtht
Heel & Toe

Hi Guy’s

Got the car all together and put over 100 miles on it Friday and Saturday. Runs well. I think the secondary injectors are working properly. Around 4,000 rpm you get a nice little boost in power with the key in full power mode. However when the engine is warm the next time you go to start it, it does take at least 5 sec or more to start. I had the tires balanced but still get a shake at 65 and up. Maybe separating belts?? Anyway here’s a few more pics. Radio install looks ok not perfect but I really do not want to cut or trim anything there. Also just fits under the lift!!! Happy Easter everyone!!!

Quick Reply: 1991 ZR1 with 45k miles goes for $18500 at GAA auction