C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

ZR-1 V's Supra - Rematch with the big boys this time

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 04:51 PM
LIMEY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ZR-1 V's Supra - Rematch with the big boys this time

By now you guys are probably getting tired of hearing my stories of encounters and what not, but if you're not, read on.

The supra boys pulled out the big dogs last night, & I mean THE BIG DOGS. Single Turbos, with cams & all the goodies to boot.

The results speak for themselves, & let me tell you, the ZR-1 had it's hands full.

I was asked not to mention any names or the actual car i raced for legal reasons, as well as competition reasons.

I can say this, It was red, based here in Florida, had a HUGE turbo & was a Stage 3, that I do know.

The guy calls me last night & wants to know if I am going out later, I had just got in from the drag strip, but said I would & I arranged to meet them later that night, he told me to make sure the bottle was pressured & ready.

I knew this was going to be a race, but I was very concerned about the amount of NOS i had left in the bottle, I had used it on one full pass at BMP yesterday, as well as a dyno run @ SGC last Saturday, there was if luck, 3 god passes left.

As I left the house, i turned the heater on & drove over to the meeting spot, by the time i arrived, the bottle pressure was at about 950 - 1000 PSI, which was fine.

As i pulled into the car park, there were 4 Supras waiting, I knew all the guys except one, I asked who I was racing & what car, they pointed to the Red model, and said that one. I walked over to the car and noted the rear license plate, I had heard about this car, and knew then, myself and the car were in for a fight of our life.

I tried to get some info out of the owner, but he was pretty tight lipped about it, I said I would like to race hi him on motor only at first & he said don't,.......race on NOS.

We pulled out of the car park & headed to the track, lining up next to each other, I was in 3rd gear, @ 4000 RPM's, we left on 3.

I pulled him good the first time. I initially thought, hmmmmmmmmmm that was easy, but in all fairness, I did jump him, so really wasn't too surprised.

We lined up again, leaving on 3. This time, it was a whole different ball game, the guy was in his power band, I punched it on the bottle immediately, the instant full power of a V8 on the bottle was impressive, I jumped out by maybe a cheeseburger, but then he gained on me, this time he was right on my door, I power shifted into 4th @ hung on for all we had, it was neck and neck, I could the see his hood right by my front door, (i'm going to look under the car this week to see if i dented the floor pan under the accelerator pedal, I am sure i pushed on it a bit too much)

That race was a draw.

3rd race, exactly the same, left on 3, punched it with the NOS on, it's pretty wild hearing his boost climbing like it did, his car was making some serious power,I was just waiting for him to come round me, but it never happened.
We ran neck and neck again, shutting down at the top of 4th gear for me.

The last race, we ran from 3rd again, I took it all the way to the top of 4th, went to shift into 5th & noticed an obstacle up ahead, so had to slow down, but it appeared we were ready to keep on going :-)

That was it, afterwards, we pulled over and chatted for about an hour or so, it was great, we were both on a high, we raced, it was a very close race, nobody broke, we each arrived to our end destination safe and sound, and it was a rush!

They did tell me what the car had done to it, it was dynoed at a little over 720 RWHP, but let me tell you, it was quiet, completely stealth.

Of all the races I have had over the past 5-6 years, that was without doubt the most exhilarating.

My hats off to the Supra guys, and to the ZR-1, you done me proud:-)

Old 12-01-2002, 05:02 PM
LT5
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: ZR-1 V's Supra - Rematch with the big boys this time (LIMEY)

:cool:
Old 12-01-2002, 05:18 PM
4cefed
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I getting tired of hearing about this crap..........................NOT!
I wonder who they will send next?
Who was ahead. You said neck and neck but in one race his hood was at your door. In my book thats a win for the 415.
Anyhow, it sounds like a real close race against what in my opinion is one of the most formidable high speed opponent around today. Those Supra's can be made really fast on the highway and should never be taken lightly.
Old 12-01-2002, 05:22 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

:cool: :cool: :cheers:
Old 12-01-2002, 05:27 PM
fort94z
Racer

Default Re: ZR-1 V's Supra - Rematch with the big boys this time (4cefed)

:cool: :cheers:
Old 12-01-2002, 05:38 PM
90 Corvette ZR-1
Le Mans Master

Kurt, I will never get sick of hearing about your races. Sounds like you guys had some great runs. I wish I could see some vids or actually be there. Keep that ZR-1 flame burning bright.
Old 12-01-2002, 05:39 PM
A26B
Drifting

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

By now you guys are probably getting tired of hearing my stories of encounters and what not, but if you're not, read on.
Kurt, all you gotta do is look at the number of hits on your threads and you will know we are all interested! :smash: :smash:

Keep the updates coming. No one else even comes close to doing as much to keep the ZR-1 on top as you do. Kind of scary to think even a Super Supra can run with you. What's a guy gonna have to do next week? Just has to be some way to stuff a turbo in there :thumbs:
Old 12-01-2002, 06:02 PM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

YYYYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!
Giving away abt 40 RWHP+ in like weight cars and still coming out on top.... ATTA boy Kurt!!!

I LOVE these stories Kurt--I live vicariously through them :crazy:

I can't wait til Julio gets his car back from SGC and starts spraying his dual stage!!!

I see a stroker in my future... :thumbs:
Old 12-01-2002, 06:08 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

:cool:
Old 12-01-2002, 06:28 PM
BiZ
Le Mans Master

Default Re: ZR-1 V's Supra - Rematch with the big boys this time (IMXCITD)

After getting the pleasure of riding in Limey's car at SGC all I can say is that must have been one seriously fast Supra.

:cheers:

Love the stories Kurt. Keep defending the King. Makes me glad I have a Red ZR-1 in the general area. :lol: :lol: Maybe they will be scared of my stocker :D :eek: :jester
Old 12-01-2002, 08:07 PM
Aaron71771
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I love these stories.

Everyone knows how fast the modded supras are and the stories of the modded ZR-1's still kicking some butt (or holding their own) are very good reading.

The ZR-1 generates so much love for the breed. It's such a great car to own.
Old 12-01-2002, 08:59 PM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Default Re: ZR-1 V's Supra - Rematch with the big boys this time

Would NEVER get tired of these story's !!
Way to go Kurt.
Those Supra's are super quick ride's.
Old 12-01-2002, 09:37 PM
xsmph
Burning Brakes

Way to go 007!!!...
I took a ride with Kurt on his Zr-1 this past weekend at BMP.. that thing is Fast!!!.. just on motor.. he run consistent 10.9's at 132 in the heat all motor...

Now Kurt a couple of Tips on racing Supras... or any fast top end car like that in which a race is seted up in advance and the opponent is ready 100% for you...

1- ALWAYS show up with a FULL Bottle!
2- One race, and if the guy is nice enough maybe a second Chance.. That's IT!!

I'm sure by the end you had little Nitrous and low pressure comapred to running full bottle and 1000 psi...

I think you told me you have 2 five pound bottles....

Anyways, it looks like you came on top in my book, although it was a very worthy opponent.. No EXcuses!.. you done good.. just be as ready as the competition next time!...

P.S.. Maybe it is time for a 2nd stage... BTW did the tag read "1000 hp" on the Supra?
Old 12-01-2002, 09:41 PM
DonsZO6
Instructor

Default Re: ZR-1 V's Supra - Rematch with the big boys this time (xsmph)

Must be an amazing feeling knowing that you are a marked man to these supra's. Keep up the good work. You make all of us vettes proud to know that those ricers have their work cut out for them if they want to take you down :cheers: I never see any stories like this on the supra forums, just the ones when they win.
Old 12-01-2002, 10:30 PM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Well Limey...
I must say you are a good sport... and... I am sure you have a few of those Supra owners shaking their heads about the capability and durability of a 415 motor... BTW... I wonder how many times those Supra guys can take the high pressure in their small displacement motors?
I guess it comes pretty close in the real world horsepower vs acceleration department... his dyno 720 hp to your 630 or so plus the juice... what do those Supras weigh?
All I can say is good kill... long live your "King of the Hill" !!!
Don't ever hesitate to post a kill... we love it!!!
Ted
90 ZR-1
Sun City, CA
Old 12-02-2002, 07:29 AM
xsmph
Burning Brakes

Default Re: ZR-1 V's Supra - Rematch with the big boys this time (Bigvmaxx)

Ted, the Supra said he dynoed at 720 RWHP.. Kurt's ZR-1 is around 660 RWHP... but the Zr-1 got Longer Legs! :eek:
Old 12-02-2002, 09:10 AM
4cefed
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Notice on the Supra forum every time this has come up (last two times) they lock the thread immediately. I like it here on this forum where locked threads are a rarity. Look at thier kill section, about 30% of the threads are locked.
Anyway, Kurt it's going to be this way until someone beats you and I guess then the Supra forum moderators will let that thread live.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR-1 V's Supra - Rematch with the big boys this time

Old 12-02-2002, 02:04 PM
Jimbo93
Drifting

Wow, these stories just take my breath away. Keep them coming!! :chevy :cheers:
Old 12-02-2002, 02:22 PM
xsmph
Burning Brakes

you know what to do next time they call you... ;)
Old 12-02-2002, 05:36 PM
Shriker
Pro

I thought Kurt's car dynoed near 570 rwhp all motor ? How big is his shot? I thought it was a 150 giving him near 700 rwhp.....just curious.

AWESOME story as usual. I really hope to have a 415 ZR-1 some day......wow......... :seeya

Quick Reply: ZR-1 V's Supra - Rematch with the big boys this time