C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

New ZR-1 owner, but not new to CF

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 04:09 PM
ram_g
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Default New ZR-1 owner, but not new to CF

Hello all!

A week and a half ago I bought this car online and had it trucked down from Michigan to Texas:
https://nostalgicmotoringltd.com/veh...rolet-corvette

I also joined and posted a bit of a lengthy introduction on ZR1.net:
https://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31897

While I'm new to C4 ZR-1 ownership, I'm not new to Corvetteforum - I've had a C7 as my daily driver for almost 3 years now. Here's a pic of both of them in the garage - I need to get some better beauty shots of the two and maybe do something about the poster behind the Z, lol...

The following 2 users liked this post by ram_g:
prez1967 (06-30-2020), Subfixer (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 06:36 PM
Aaron71771
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks really sharp, how does it drive?
Old 06-30-2020, 08:23 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Grats and welcome to ZR-1 ownership.
The following users liked this post:
ram_g (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 09:09 PM
ram_g
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron71771
Looks really sharp, how does it drive?
Around the block at low speed - great, lol. Haven't really exercised the car because the tires are original and while they hold air, they do have many cracks. I have an appointment for new tires tomorrow morning, and will hopefully have a spirited drive back home.

At the moment the main issue I am watching is a slight weeping of coolant from the plenum gasket on the driver side. There was a plenum bolt flat out missing from this area so I put one on and torqued the others to spec (some were loose). The coolant seep seems to be slowed but is still there. Will watch to see if it remains slight and then maybe trigger a plenum pull and elimination of TB coolant which should solve the problem once and for all (with an internal plug of the IH / plenum coolant passage). But I will probably wait to gain more experience with the car to assess what else I should do, if anything, when the plenum is off. (Or if I can simply kick the plenum pull down the road some.)
Old 07-01-2020, 10:05 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by ram_g
Around the block at low speed - great, lol. Haven't really exercised the car because the tires are original and while they hold air, they do have many cracks. I have an appointment for new tires tomorrow morning, and will hopefully have a spirited drive back home.

At the moment the main issue I am watching is a slight weeping of coolant from the plenum gasket on the driver side. There was a plenum bolt flat out missing from this area so I put one on and torqued the others to spec (some were loose). The coolant seep seems to be slowed but is still there. Will watch to see if it remains slight and then maybe trigger a plenum pull and elimination of TB coolant which should solve the problem once and for all (with an internal plug of the IH / plenum coolant passage). But I will probably wait to gain more experience with the car to assess what else I should do, if anything, when the plenum is off. (Or if I can simply kick the plenum pull down the road some.)
Congratulations. Looks like a nice car, although you may have a plenum gasket leak. Not too big a deal. What tires are you planning to put on? Many of us installed Michelin Pilot Sports that are made in the proper 17" size for the front and a slightly wider than stock 335 section rears. I found that Costco will do these tires at a very reasonable price. Nittos are also quite popular. Also while you are an experienced CF member, I suggest (if you have not already) joining the ZR-1 Net Registry and getting on their forums to access their great camaraderie and huge knowledge base on these cars. Depending where you are located I would also suggest sending the car to Marc Haibeck in the Chicago area or one of the several knowledgeable experts in different parts of the country for a thorough going over. When I bought my '93 and '95s that was the first thing I did. Marc found things I didn't even know existed and corrected them, so I had a completely serviced and perfectly running ZR-1 immediately. There is a well vetted (no pun intended) list of ZR-1 shops with considerable ZR-1 experience around the country on the forum.--Bob

Last edited by ZR1Bob; 07-01-2020 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:22 PM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Congrats!
Old 07-01-2020, 07:15 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,143 Likes on 846 Posts

Congrats! Where in Texas are you located? There re plenty around the state who are happy to lend a hand.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:04 AM
cjbanks007
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Well Done, I just picked mine up a few weeks ago #285 1992 ZR1 42K miles, black interior, was outside of Houston, after a stop in Austin and Plano I drove it back to Colorado!

Get notified of new replies

To New ZR-1 owner, but not new to CF

Quick Reply: New ZR-1 owner, but not new to CF