C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Steering Rack - Lonestar Caliper Co.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 10:12 PM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Default Steering Rack - Lonestar Caliper Co.

So a year ago as part of an engine swap on my 180k mike 90’ ZR-1 (I swapped in a 35k mile 91’ LT5 engine) I installed a rebuilt steering rack I purchased from Ecklers. It had been on sale for a great price but with a large core charge that Ecklers was slow to return, but that’s another story. Last week I started my car and was greeting with a nasty noise from the power steering pump. It was empty and the new steering rack had blown an end seal resulting in power steering oil all over my garage floor. I checked my paperwork and found that the rack had a 5 year warranty. So immediately called Ecklers customer service. The young lady I spoke to checked and told me to send the unit directly to the rebuilder Lonestar Caliper Co. in TX. Expecting the runaround I found Lonestar on the Internet and sent them an email to confirm that this was indeed the process. To my relief I received an immediate reply and although surprised I was contacting them directly, they ask that I send the unit in to the attention of a manager (owner?) there and that he would attend to the matter personally. I sent the unit in on Tuesday via Priority Mail (not wanting to my car down long). I was emailed back when it arrived on Thursday. This morning I was advised that the unit was being rebuilt today and would be shipped back today. This afternoon I got an email saying it had been shipped and (get this) with an apology for the inconvenience the defective unit had caused! Now that’s something you don’t see everyday anymore! While I would have preferred that the unit not go bad in the first place, I fully understand that **** happens. It’s that much more gratifying when a company and its people actually stand behind their product. While I continue to be less than a fan of Ecklers I will have no hesitation buying products from Lonestar Caliper Co and their other distributors in the future. I’ve seen their stuff on EBay as well. Cudos to Lonestar Caliper Co.

H

Old 07-19-2019, 11:23 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I was expecting a complaint from the title of this post. Good to know that somebody cares (and can rebuild those things).

I just went through an adventure converting two 90's Fords to Saginaw power steering pumps and it is really difficult to buy a quiet one...even the new ones are a crap shoot.

Last edited by mike100; 07-19-2019 at 11:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Steering Rack - Lonestar Caliper Co.