C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

415" ZR-1 W/ NOS vs 396 LT4 W/ NOS

Old 08-25-2002, 02:32 PM
LIMEY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 415" ZR-1 W/ NOS vs 396 LT4 W/ NOS

Took the ZR-1 out Saturday night for some fun and games.
Had the Hoosiers - skinnies on, race gas in the tank & both NOS bottles filled. I was ready.

Went on over to the local hangout here in Tamp, there was a lot of cars out last night, the weather had been great all day, so the crowd is usually good.

There were a whole bunch of F-Bodies out, all parked together, I guess they had some kid of meet in town, either that or they just decide to hook up.

There was this one LT4 Firebird, he had a 396 motor, with Drag radials, & what he said was a 200 shot of NOS, the word was, "Kurt"' He has a LOT of NOS o that car, but no-one knew for sure, he said 200 & I took him for his word (I'm too bloody believable)

He asked if I wanted to race, I said sure, but he only would go from a roll, that's fine I said, I have the Hoosiers on & you have the drag radials on, I’m always willing to entertain offers.

I told him I would leave just on motor & if I needed to, would use the NOS, he looked at me funny & said, USE IT!

Huh, yeah, we'll see. We leave the "Spot" & drive to the gas station, I bolt in my roof panel & drop of the wife, and she ended up riding with someone else.

By now, there are well over 100 cars waiting to see this run, the whole gas station forecourt filled up, I went over to the guy & said, you ready, yep!

By now the adrenalin is flowing well, the hands are getting sweaty & my mouth was dry as a bone, (Am I the only one that gets like this?)
We took a slow cruise over to the site we were going to race, a bunch of cars went ahead of us to make sure it was clear & the rest hung back incase the cops wanted to catch us, it would have been hard for them to see who was racing due to all the cars behind us.

We had prearranged that I would let him hit it first & then go, it was from a 2nd gear roll, 40 + MPH. I was at 4000 RPM, he purges his NOS, then nails it, I take of after him, he gets my by a car immediately, I thought, screw this, I’m going use the NOS.

I hit the NOS & the race was on, I pulled up with him by the end of 3rd gear, shifted into 4th & started to pull him, by the end of 4th, I was a car length ahead of him, shifted into 5th pulled no more, the clutch was slipping but I was able to hold him off.

I let off it deep in 5th, First time I ever raced and had to use 5th gear I may add, that was one hell of a race, without the NOS, I would have lost.

After I let off in 5th, the Firebird did too, as he did, his car went "Bang", smoke came out the rear & he just coasted to a stop, I pulled over to see what was wrong, he thinks his Opt spark went south, it would crank but not fire. So not only did he loose, but he also broke too, that really must have pissed him off.

He was well impressed with the ZR-1, he said that was the first time he had lost a race, in a long time, Before we did race, the guys were telling me that night he raced a new 2002 GSXR1000 from a roll, he was dead even with the bike up to around 160, then he pulled the bike after that.

I'm pleased the ZR-1 took out another "Top Dog", what with the Supra a couple weeks back & the LT4 Firebird this weekend; the ZR-1 is starting to get a rep.

Julio tells me "Stop giving them the lead", you know, I think he's right. From now on, we leave together, there's too much at stake, the general consensus is that the guy had a "bit" more than a 20 shot, but that's hard to say, he said he had a 200 shot before the race & after too, so what you going to do?

Tis a beautiful day in the Chevy camp :-)

Kurt.

Old 08-25-2002, 02:43 PM
RatRacer
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Re: 415" ZR-1 W/ NOS vs 396 LT4 W/ NOS (LIMEY)

Oh yeah, spreading the ZR-1 legend one kill at a time! :cheers:
Old 08-25-2002, 02:48 PM
4cefed
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Too cool Kurt. How big of a shot are you running?
Old 08-25-2002, 02:52 PM
ledfoot
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 415" ZR-1 W/ NOS vs 396 LT4 W/ NOS (RatRacer)

Great Story-

What kind of power do you think the Lt4 was putting down with the juice??

You've got one hell of a machine. Makes the forum very proud :D

David In Indy :seeya
----------------
2000 NBM M6-Coupe
All Options minus F45
Euros/Lloyd Mats/Chrome Shifter/Ripper/Halltech tric/T-bypass/Taylor
Wires/TTS Headers/High Flow Cats/X-pipe/Indy Corsas/Baers/Z06
Calipers/Russell ss brake lines/Hawk Pads/Lowered/Yokohama Avs Sports/Porsche DOT4 Hi-Performance Brake fluid/Redline oils/Zaino/Engine Dress by Auto Buffs and Design Specialties

[Modified by ledfoot, 12:53 PM 8/25/2002]
Old 08-25-2002, 03:28 PM
LIMEY
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 415" ZR-1 W/ NOS vs 396 LT4 W/ NOS (ledfoot)

currently, I have a 150 HP shot.

The LT4 owner said he was making 700 FtLbs & 700HP on the spray. With a "200 shot" i can well believe it.

Kurt.
Old 08-25-2002, 03:31 PM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Boy oh boy Kurt, I need to drive over to Tampa & hang out w/ you on a sat. night--you find ALL the action!!! :cool:
Now, what's this business w/ the clutch slipping??? Aren't you running a Centerforce? Granted, you're probably close to 700 RWHP, but the clutch should hold for that...
Old 08-25-2002, 06:27 PM
xsmph
Burning Brakes

you go BLOODY DAADY!!!..
I can tell you from experience that for that LT-4 to hang like that is a 300 shot of spray..
soon the Trailer queens are going to start coming out after you :lol:
Old 08-25-2002, 06:47 PM
JT ZR-Won
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: 415" ZR-1 W/ NOS vs 396 LT4 W/ NOS (xsmph)

Awesome story Kurt. You'll have to fill me in on the local cruising spot :yesnod:

Jay
Old 08-26-2002, 12:35 AM
BERTZR1
Racer

Nice kill Kurt,and how's your kneck. :chevy :cool: :cheers:
Old 08-26-2002, 09:37 AM
secondchance
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Re: 415" ZR-1 W/ NOS vs 396 LT4 W/ NOS (BERTZR1)

Tallyhooo, Limey. Wish I was there! :D :seeya
Old 08-26-2002, 08:44 PM
xsmph
Burning Brakes

Hey, you are famous. I just got off the phone with my buddy.. (fastest impala SS in the country 10.19 at 136 mph). He just got an e-mail from one of his Tampa buddies and called me inmedatly.
His friend told him there is this Wicked fast firerbird built by More performance that has not lost a rece yet. He has been the top dog for two months , never been to the track , he is only top end, he tops out at 187. My friend’s friend witnessed the race against the bike, he said the firerbird is insane!
Now he syas there is a new guy in town related to Osten Powers (that’s you and your English accent Kurt), you are also know as 007 by some..LOL
That showed up in a 415 Zr-1. He witnessed the race from his Tahoe, and I think couple of the Tuner’s that work on the firebird were with him, they also work on this guys impala SS..
Anyway he said the firebird lost, and he could not believe it. Apparently you caught a REAL BIG FISH!!!
I got the phone call immediately, to see If I knew the car.. since I’m into Zr-1’s… I confirmed…
THERE IS A NEW SHERIFF IN TOWN!!!
You go boy!!!
:D

word is the guy is spraying a LOT :eek: .. but not enough for the LT-5?
I hear he has been very busy over at http://www.zr1.net :D
Old 08-26-2002, 08:55 PM
RatRacer
Safety Car

Yee Haw! That's too cool 007. :cool:
Old 08-26-2002, 09:30 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Hey Limey (007) - do you prefer you nitrous shaken or stirred?

:cool: :cheers: :cool:
Old 08-26-2002, 10:07 PM
4cefed
Melting Slicks

The new boy in town! Sounds like that clutch needs some immediate attention. Man, I would have loved to have been there. Great race Kurt.
Old 08-26-2002, 11:34 PM
LIMEY
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 415" ZR-1 W/ NOS vs 396 LT4 W/ NOS (4cefed)

I'm pleased to announce my new name change, I shall no longer be called "Limey", 007 will suffice :-) Brilliant EH!!!!!!!!!!!

Gotta love this country.

Ok,

I'm going to fill you guys in on the Clutch issue, I know you may not believe me here, but here goes.

I have in my car, the bone stock Dual mass flywheel - stock Disk - stock Pressure plate, it weighs around 60 lbs & is the exact same way that the car left BG. I have been ok using the car on motor thru gears 1-4, if I power shift into 4th, it will slip.
When using the NOS, if I power shift from 1st - 2nd, it slips immediately, however, if I let off the throttle & shift, it's OK, but once I shift into 5th gear, regardless of how, it no longer pulls. I have reached the limit.

About 3 weeks ago, I call Bill Kirchoefer, I tell him, Bill; I need that "Special" clutch setup you have. He laughs & pretty much says, I'm not surprised.

Wednesday, I receive my new clutch setup, you guys have probably no idea of what this setup is like, but here are a few details.

Flywheel weighs 7 lbs, twin disks & pressure plate, NASCAR style, with a PUSH style thrust bearing, no longer a pull. The whole setup weighs less than 17 lbs that includes flywheel - disks pressure plate & TO bearing, I am shedding 40+ lbs of rotating mass.

Rated at 650 ft lbs TQ. Which I think will be sufficient :-)

On Wednesday, the car goes to the dyno shop; I am tuning the car with my new exhaust & headers, but not with the clutch setup.

Then on Friday, I take it back with no other mods done other than installing the clutch setup, this will once and for all put an end to the gains or losses made by installing the single mass flywheels.

Btw, this flywheel bears no resemblance to a Fidanza flywheel whatsoever, Bill made 4 setups, one in his car, one for me, one I believe was to a guy overseas, & the other, well, if you're quick, you can buy it, he has it at his shop sitting on the shelf.

When I receive it, should be Wednesday, I will take pictures & post them to the forum, I think you guys will be drooling :-)

The races I have had to date all went well, but, every time I have raced, there was a problem with the clutch, I don’t like making excuses and such, but these are just the facts.

With the new clutch setup, the car will run from roll, considerably quicker, Bill & I are thinking that from my current stock dual mass flywheel & disk setup to his, will see a minimum of 20 RWHP gain, until I go to the dyno though, this is all speculation.

Not only will the car rev quicker & be more responsive, it should accelerat quicker, plus, I am shedding 40+ lbs of weight, in any book, thats a bonus.

Old 08-27-2002, 01:04 AM
4cefed
Melting Slicks

Whats the damage $ for the new flywheel?
Old 08-27-2002, 07:57 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Default Re: 415" ZR-1 W/ NOS vs 396 LT4 W/ NOS (4cefed)

Kurt (Danger) White. ooohhhh behave!!! YEA BABY, who's ur daddy!!!

Kurt, keep us posted on the clutch setup, sounds pretty cool, the dual disk sometimes put additional load on the syncs but this sounds light enough that it should work great.

that beast of yours is running top notch and I bet a 200 squirt is just the ticket.

interested in going port injection??? bill K was working on a really cool manifold a while back that should work great on a 415. yours is too nice to change but I would sure be interested to see what this new manifold with a port injection setup would do.

can you say 900 HP!!! man, what a ride, as will smith said "I gotsta git me wun of deez!!!!"

keep the rpms and the shiney side up and watch out for the man.

I don't want to have to bail you out of the greystone motel mate.

good stories, keep em coming. :cool: :eek:

Get notified of new replies

To 415" ZR-1 W/ NOS vs 396 LT4 W/ NOS

Old 08-27-2002, 12:02 PM
RatRacer
Safety Car

Default Re: 415" ZR-1 W/ NOS vs 396 LT4 W/ NOS (Rkreigh)

Even at a 150 shot Kurt is playing with fire. I've seen the 415 pistons and the have very shallow ring lands due to the stroker crank. In fact, the oil control ring is lower than the top of the wrist pin. 100% race gas and a 150 shot limit on the juice is as much fire as I would be comfortable with. Just my $.02.
Old 08-27-2002, 03:29 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,860 Likes on 1,078 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Oh yeah, spreading the ZR-1 legend one kill at a time! :cheers:
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 08-28-2002, 09:02 AM
Hammer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Re: 415" ZR-1 W/ NOS vs 396 LT4 W/ NOS (USAZR1)

Nice race...

I have the video of the firebird beating the bike. I'm goning to try and post it...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 415" ZR-1 W/ NOS vs 396 LT4 W/ NOS