C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

ZR1 VS Z31

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 05:41 PM
Dramier
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZR1 VS Z31

I'm posting here because I'm guessing one of you might have it. I'm looking for a link to the magazine article done by Road & Track, I think it was R&T anyway.. that compared the ZR1 with the Z31... If anybody knows where I could find it, I'd appreciate it alot. Thanks.

Dramier
Old 08-01-2002, 05:57 PM
BiZ
Le Mans Master

Default Re: ZR1 VS Z31 (Dramier)

What is a Z31?
Old 08-01-2002, 06:01 PM
Dramier
Intermediate

Default Re: ZR1 VS Z31 (BiZ)

84-89 Nissan 300ZX. Commonly called Z31's. 90-96 300ZX's are Z32's.

Dramier
Old 08-01-2002, 06:10 PM
BiZ
Le Mans Master

So I take it that the test was a comparison of a T 300 ZX and a ZR1?

[Modified by BiZ, 5:14 PM 8/1/2002]
Old 08-01-2002, 06:40 PM
90 Corvette ZR-1
Le Mans Master

Outcome ZR-1 wins. any questions?
Old 08-01-2002, 08:20 PM
91mongoose
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw that article, but it compares a Z32 to a '90 Z51 L98. The L98 edged it as I recall. You might look on corvettearchive.com
Old 08-02-2002, 04:49 AM
Dramier
Intermediate

Default Re: ZR1 VS Z31 (91mongoose)

I finally found it. I was looking for an older article. It was Road & Track January 1984, comparing the Corvette to the Nissan 300ZX Turbo. I just had thought some of you guys might have remembered it and knew a link to it.

Oh, by the way, 90 Corvette ZR1, since you mentioned it, the corvette lost. I wasn't trying to start any smack, just trying to find an article that I thought maybe corvette owners might remember. If you care to see it, you can find it here:
http://z31.com/articles/6/

I have nothing but respect for the American icon, known as the Corvette. I do not compare Z's to Corvette's, as I consider them two seperate class of cars. I was just looking for an old article on the Nissan and happened to remember it was reviewed against a Corvette. My interest is purely in information on the Z31, and not how it stacked up against a Vette. Thanks for the help. :cheers:
Old 08-02-2002, 10:52 AM
VetBoyZR1
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm confused. This article is about a prototype 1983 Corvette compared to a Nissan 300ZX. That Corvette was not even an L98, let alone an LT5. The Corvette edges out the 300Z in all the data, but the writers chose the 300Z the winner because they called the vette a "boy racer". What has that got to do with a ZR-1? I have an article from 1989 comparing a ZR-1 to a Ferrari Testarossa and a Porche 911, and the ZR-1 won. Now I should think the 300Z was a better car? I doubt it. :rolleyes:
Old 08-02-2002, 11:23 AM
ZROne
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: ZR1 VS Z31 (VetBoyZR1)

Because it's the only magazine test where the porky slow first gen 300ZX edged out anything besides a 280ZX. There is also a magazine test where the Corvette loses to a 1986 1/2 Supra Turbo. While these were nice cars back then they were cruisers - not sports cars. At least use the 300ZXTT / Supra TT for comparison (and they have magazine articles showing how much faster the Supra TT was than a ZR1 - must be why so many try to keep up <heh>).

sirhC
Old 08-02-2002, 01:53 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Re: ZR1 VS Z31 (ZROne)

Anybody take a look at this article? Comparing throttle body injected vette to arguably the ugliest car ever to come out of Japan.

It may be possible for me to care less about this Japanese piece of s*** but I'm just not sure how. The second generation twin turbo - now there's a nice car - slow, but a smooth looking ride. The first generation 300 ZX is something we hate to scratch the crusher with, but of course all trash must be disposed of properly!!!

:jester
Old 08-02-2002, 04:13 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Default Re: ZR1 VS Z31 (DDSLT5)

The first generation 300 ZX is something we hate to scratch the crusher with, but of course all trash must be disposed of properly!!! :jester
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 08-03-2002, 02:08 AM
Dramier
Intermediate

Default Re: ZR1 VS Z31 (TA)

Wow.. you guys need to learn to relax.. I never challenged your car, nor flamed it, nor said a bad thing at all.. and yet all I see is flames on me. That's a pretty poor way to react. What's with all the flames?

Kinda proving the stereotype about Vette owners to be true.. and that makes me :U

I apologize for coming here seeking information, as I obviously came to the wrong place. I have thought about one day buying the American icon, but I'm not sure I want to be associated with this kind of behavior.

Dramier
Old 08-03-2002, 03:38 AM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Wow.. you guys need to learn to relax.. I never challenged your car, nor flamed it, nor said a bad thing at all.. and yet all I see is flames on me. That's a pretty poor way to react. What's with all the flames?

Kinda proving the stereotype about Vette owners to be true.. and that makes me :U

I apologize for coming here seeking information, as I obviously came to the wrong place. I have thought about one day buying the American icon, but I'm not sure I want to be associated with this kind of behavior.

Dramier
Have we offended your sensitive little feelings? Are we to pack our bags and go on a guilt trip?

:cry :cry :cry

ZR-1 owners tell it like it is. The first gen 300ZX was never compared to a ZR-1 because it is not even close to being in the same league - this is a fact. This is not a put down of your car or a personal attack on you - its a fact.

The only stereotype i know about vette owners is that everybody else knows that vette owners have the finest sports cars on the block, and they're jealous of em, thus making up "stereotypes" about vette owners.

We love our cars, and we know only a chosen few will have the ***** to step up and buy a man's car, like the vette. (No offense to all women who drive vettes, they command even more respect in my opinion). That's why we wave to each other on the road.

I don't believe anybody intentionally meant to "flame" you - it just seems a little odd that the article mentioned was from the early to mid eighties, when the ZR-1 was barely in the planning stages.

Hopefully a few comments on a forum page won't actually influence your decision to purchase any car in the future - if it really did influence you, then maybe american iron isn't for you!!

Read a few of the other threads - you'll see that everyone is quite helpful and insightful - and don't let a few funny responses get under your skin - we likes to joke!!

:jester
Old 08-03-2002, 03:46 AM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Oh, by the way, 90 Corvette ZR1, since you mentioned it, the corvette lost.
Still confused here - lost what? Did you read this article? You must realize that when you say that the ZR-1 lost (something) to a 300ZX, that you are basically walking into our house and looking to start a fight - this may explain why you felt like you were getting flamed.

:flag
Old 08-03-2002, 09:49 AM
Mr Y Car
Instructor

Dramier, the article you reference was a 300ZX vs an early 84 prototype. Where is the article that references the 300ZX vs a ZR-1?

The LT5 engine is quite a bit different then the engine in the 1984 Corvette. In fact the only thing that it shares in common with the 1984's engine is the bore dimensions, all other parts are different. A 1984 Vette is pushrod, and 2 valves per cyllinder, the lt5 is overhead cammed and 4 valves per cylinder.

An 84 vette is no way a comparision to a ZR-1.

If there was a comparison of a 1990 ZR-1, wouldn't it be against the Z32 version of the 300ZX?

Please reference the article where the 300ZX beats the ZR-1.

BTW, I have raced a 1996 stillen modified 300ZX with my Dad's bone stock (127k miles on the odometer) ZR-1. The ZR-1 won, with about 1 car length. Have to admit though the 300ZX offered a challenge when we were in third gear.

We are not flaming you, we want proof.
Old 08-03-2002, 04:52 PM
ghostkilla
Intermediate

Default Re: ZR1 VS Z31

how about we just screw the article and do a live test? lets say, one of your guys's 600hp (hahahaha) vette against one of our Z Buddies 280zxT???

really, a car is a car, power is power, suspension is suspension, a car is a car. yall act like imports are from a different planet. keep in mind all cars are made from the same resources on the planet earth. your cars are not better than ours at all. as a matter of fact, i can pick up a 1983 280zxT (single turbo) for about 2k, spend 1-2k on the engine, 2k on suspension, and 1k on exterior looks, and have a car that cost me about 6k that will run a vette all day.

Take it from a guy who has seen what a vette and camaro are all about. 2 Vettes and 1 Iroc-z in my family. We spent more on fixing those L98 powered cars than i did buying my entire car and modding it up.

Now, what can you flame here? I know Dramier from a z site. All he was asking for was where he can find the road and track. Of course yall jump on the stereotypical bandwagon and flame him. Dont you guys know we (Vettes and Z's) all own superior sports cars here? we are not ricers, and we dont act like them, and we expect you to treat us with the same respect we have for you and more respect than your arch enemies who drive honduhs.

thank you very much and i think we all need a beer now. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :seeya

[Modified by ghostkilla, 8:53 PM 8/3/2002]
Old 08-03-2002, 05:00 PM
PylonBoy
Instructor

Default Re: ZR1 VS Z31 (ghostkilla)

Because the Corvette is the Bestest sports car ever and the Z has outsold the the corvette all time. That's why. Of course this makes no sence, but neither does the flaming.

Do you have Pepsi instead?

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 VS Z31

Old 08-03-2002, 05:03 PM
ghostkilla
Intermediate

Default Re: ZR1 VS Z31 (PylonBoy)

probably outsold the vette cuz of the pricey price tag on the vette.

yes i do have pepsi.

BTW is that you auto-x'ing the minivan :D

[Modified by ghostkilla, 9:06 PM 8/3/2002]
Old 08-03-2002, 05:05 PM
PylonBoy
Instructor

yeah, that was the annual ice race 2 years ago. It was extremely funny, but I will never do that again! I'm thinking about the vette, but that could be even more futile.
Old 08-03-2002, 05:13 PM
ghostkilla
Intermediate

Please read the last few sentences. The z seems to outrun the vette in performance. LOL.

Ummmmmm, no wonder why the vette had so much trouble. Isnt that Cross Fire Injection? Pretty poopiety technology there. TPI was a HUGE advancement in fuel delivery.

Now cant we all get along, ive stated facts w/proof on top of it. Why dont we all get along and go smoke some rice? :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :smash:

[Modified by ghostkilla, 9:20 PM 8/3/2002]

Quick Reply: ZR1 VS Z31