C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Long Stored ZR-1 No Start, Fuel issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 07:51 PM
128racecar
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Long Stored ZR-1 No Start, Fuel issue

I am in the middle of waking up my late father's 1990 ZR-1 after 5 years of dry inside storage. Overall looks to be in great shape with only 9000 miles. Fresh battery and gas. Cranks readily and great oil pressure, but does not fire. Will fire for a couple of seconds if I give it a shot of starting fluid, then dies, so appears to be fuel delivery. I hear a ticking from the back of the car, which I assume is the fuel pump. Recs on what to look at next? I am mechanically capable, as I have a 1957 Fuelie I have had for 30 years, and also vintage race a 1st Gen Honda Civic. I have a shop manual ordered, but am interested who encountered what in a similar long storage situation. The car is located 400 miles from me, and I make the trip back to see my mom about once a month, so it helps to have a heads up on what tools, test equipment, and parts I need to take with me on these 1-2 day visits.

Thanks,
Marc in Indy
1957 Corvette with original 245 HP dual quad engine with in-period installed FI
Old 06-29-2014, 08:40 PM
jay1055
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Default No start

Originally Posted by 128racecar
I am in the middle of waking up my late father's 1990 ZR-1 after 5 years of dry inside storage. Overall looks to be in great shape with only 9000 miles. Fresh battery and gas. Cranks readily and great oil pressure, but does not fire. Will fire for a couple of seconds if I give it a shot of starting fluid, then dies, so appears to be fuel delivery. I hear a ticking from the back of the car, which I assume is the fuel pump. Recs on what to look at next? I am mechanically capable, as I have a 1957 Fuelie I have had for 30 years, and also vintage race a 1st Gen Honda Civic. I have a shop manual ordered, but am interested who encountered what in a similar long storage situation. The car is located 400 miles from me, and I make the trip back to see my mom about once a month, so it helps to have a heads up on what tools, test equipment, and parts I need to take with me on these 1-2 day visits.

Thanks,
Marc in Indy
Hi Marc last week the plastic clamp on my fuel pump hose broke so my pump was running but no fuel to the engine Jay
Old 06-29-2014, 09:07 PM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 128racecar

Thanks,
Marc in Indy
Hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail connector
Old 06-29-2014, 09:52 PM
Redline7g
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If original injectors guaranteed they are shot.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:12 PM
zr-1 guy
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

injectors are shot, pumps probably need replaced, and tank neck need cleaned. none of that is hard to do
Old 06-29-2014, 11:21 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Fuel pumps should get you going. (available at your local Autozone) May have rust issues too. F***king ethanol. You may need injectors too.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:50 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

As noted Id go ahead and replace the fuel injectors,based on your experience its a piece of cake.Everything needed is easy to find.Jerrys gaskets has the gaskets-O rings and the fuel injectors are the same as an L-98 just need 16 instead of 8 and on some of the injectors there is a minor modification that needs to be done to the housing due to the fact that the 2 plugs,one primary injector and secondary injector have different plugs.

Get notified of new replies

To Long Stored ZR-1 No Start, Fuel issue

Quick Reply: Long Stored ZR-1 No Start, Fuel issue