C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

How do you eliminate the air injection system on the stock headers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 10:24 PM
blownrunner
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How do you eliminate the air injection system on the stock headers?

The right hand side cylinders on my ZR-1 were all running rich. I replaced the O2 sensors, checked out the ECM, sealed up the exhaust joints, still ran rich. Figured an air leak telling the ECM that it is running lean.

I removed the check valves on the right side headers, they seemed to work fine, but they had the black soot inside the air injector hose, so I suspected they were leaking air and effecting the air/fuel ratio. In short, I put some gasket maker stuff inside the air tube hose to seal up the header. Took the fuse out of the blower fan and removed the connector on the injector valve for good measure. Took it for a drive and the exhaust sounded different so I think I found my problem! It's nice to have a properly running car again (so I think).

Anyhow, now for the question: Is there a cap that can be installed on the air injector tubes on the headers in place of the check valves? I want to get rid of the whole air injection system and still use the stock headers and avoid having to weld them. Any suggestions?
Old 06-16-2014, 04:50 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

I don't believe that should be an issue. The male thread on the AIR is I'm quite sure 1/2 NPT 14 TPI but I would need to check for sure. I've never attempted this but I'd think doable. I can maybe check late tonight, I'm leaving for appointments NOW!

Here's a link to some stainless caps for NPT and I would think you could do these at any local hydraulic shop. Look at the 1/2 NPT

http://www.hydraulicsdirect.com/SS_5...m?1=1&CartID=0

I believe on 1/2 NPT there's 7/16" of thread and the AIR nipples measure that +/-. My screw pitch gage is not here so I can't confirm for you. I've got some 3/4 pipe fittings but that's certainly to large.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 06-16-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:40 PM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

I used brass plumbing-type caps, oh, abt 17-18 years ago or so--no issues, ever since!
Old 06-18-2014, 07:39 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by blownrunner
Brass plumbing? That should be something I could get from Lowes or the Ho Depot. I am thinking about removing one and taking it to a hose fabrication shop here in Tampa, maybe they can help.
You can of course buy 1/2 NPT caps at any local hardware, plumbing shop or whatever and I posted the link "assuming" you wanted something "pretty". I guess maybe I was mistaken. There should be no reason to fabricate a thing. I suggested a hydraulic shop for a cap.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:34 PM
blownrunner
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That worked like like a charm. I go four brass caps from Lowes. Thanks!

Last edited by blownrunner; 10-28-2014 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:14 PM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by blownrunner
That worked like like a charm. I go four brass caps from Lowes. Thanks!

Ya know, was looking at the removed parts, I am not surprised about the air leaks, there are little sections of rubber hose and clamps everywhere, many are plastic. I looked at a few c4's, non-ZR-1's, sooty exhaust seems common.

Get notified of new replies

To How do you eliminate the air injection system on the stock headers?

Quick Reply: How do you eliminate the air injection system on the stock headers?