C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

1993 ZR-1 HP & Torque

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 05:35 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by dtana
Because no high performance car is designed with even the remotest thought that someone is going to be "cruising" at 25mph in top overdrive gear. I'm guessing that 25mph is so much slower than the minimum recommended speed for your car in that gear, that it's not even funny. I understand that you're saying that the car can do this.............but I'm surprised that you actually & voluntarily subject your car to this sort of experience. You have now set a new standard for the commonly (& admittedly misunderstood) expression.........lugging the engine.............regardless of whether you're actually lugging it or not.
Let me take a moment and destroy your opinion with facts. The LT5 was designed as a dual mode engine with the throttle valves in the secondary runners. The primary lobe on the intake cam has 20° less duration than the secondary lobe and when you're cruising along you have one small intake valve, one small runner, one small fuel injector, and a ''dime'' size throttle plate in the throttle body feeding one big cylinder...as Tom has pointed out, the LT5 achieves very fine control down to a very low RPM. The idle RPM of the engine is 500 RPM so the RPM itself isn't a problem. Now consider this ''high performance'' car was designed by the GM engineers (who are much smarter than any of us here) to go into 4th gear at 12 MPH while accelerating at a light-moderate rate...run the numbers and you'll see this puts the engine at about 542 RPM. If you run the numbers for 25 MPH in 6th, you get about 564 RPM...so tell me again how I'm lugging the engine when I'm above what the engineers designed the engine for (in spite of your ill-informed opinion).

I don't care what you guys run your engine at and didn't intend to start a war over something so silly, my only intention was to show how much low RPM torque the LT5 has. My engine doesn't complain a bit but I'm at sea level in Florida (well not any more, I'm in Spain for 3 years as of last week) and the roads are very flat. Yes, it does accelerate slowly from there and I slowly roll into the throttle to keep up with traffic...if I have trouble keeping up, I just downshift to 4th. I've driven it this way for almost 22 years and have had no problems with the engine. BTW, I do autocross it where I beat the crap out of it and am not afraid to bounce it off the rev limiter once or twice...I have many trophies over the years and am competitive with C6Zs, I don't beat them all but I do beat most of them.

I'm not afraid to exploit all of the excellent design elements of the LT5...if you're afraid, just say you're afraid.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:51 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by z06scentair
If my LT5 is in 6th gear at 25 MPH, it would be bucking HARD. This type of bucking will result in pre-mature failure of driveline mechanical component's.

And I guarantee nothing is mechanically wrong with the car!
As noted in my post above, the RPM at 25 MPH in 6th is higher than 12 MPH in 4th which the engine IS designed to do. If your engine ''bucks HARD'', you most certainly have a problem. Personally, I couldn't care less if you fix it or how you run your car but it is most certainly a fact that your engine has a problem. What I do care about is you stating something as ''fact'' about all LT5s based on your broken LT5...these engines were designed to be a tractor engine at low RPM for fuel economy.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:58 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
For the sake of accuracy, According to GM docs, the LT1 makes more TQ @1000 RPM (and anything below~2500) than the "Tork monster" L98....though the LT1 will NOT make 300 lbs @1k, like the LT5 will....At 1k, LT1 is "only" doing about 290 lbs.
Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of that! I was only thinking about the intake runners and neglected what I always say about torque being primarily a function of displacement and compression ratio...the LT1 has higher compression than the L98.

Also, thanks for the help/info on the low RPM capabilities of the LT5.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:02 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by glass slipper
As noted in my post above, the RPM at 25 MPH in 6th is higher than 12 MPH in 4th which the engine IS designed to do. If your engine ''bucks HARD'', you most certainly have a problem. Personally, I couldn't care less if you fix it or how you run your car but it is most certainly a fact that your engine has a problem. What I do care about is you stating something as ''fact'' about all LT5s based on your broken LT5...these engines were designed to be a tractor engine at low RPM for fuel economy.
Well I appreciate your could'nt care less attitude.....

As far as my LT5 being broke.....seems to run fine for me.

Would love to see pictures of this tractor engine corvette your referring too.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:07 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by USAZR1
I agree with Brad and dtana. I would never abuse my ZR-1 that way,either. Just because you can do something,doesn't mean you should.
So you're saying GM engineers designed the 1st-4th skip shift for the expressed purpose of ''abusing'' the engine. Congratulations, you are the first Corvette Forum member who is smarter than a GM engineer....
Old 06-23-2014, 06:11 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

So you're saying GM engineers designed the 1st-4th skip shift for the expressed purpose of ''abusing'' the engine. Congratulations, you are the first Corvette Forum member who is smarter than a GM engineer....
No we just cruise around in 6th at 25mph to appease the zoo animals.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:13 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Well I appreciate your could'nt care less attitude.....

As far as my LT5 being broke.....seems to run fine for me.

Would love to see pictures of this tractor engine corvette your referring too.
Buy and read the book ''The Heart of the Beast''. There are none so blind as those who refuse to see...I'm not going to waste my time if you don't have an open mind.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:20 PM
dtana
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the official "expressed purpose "is that the 1 to 4 skip was designed to save gas when you're not demanding much of the engine. I don't think anyone is saying what you've said above.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:21 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

No we just cruise around in 6th at 25mph to appease the zoo animals.
Just to be clear, I'm the one driving in 6th at 25 MPH. That would make you one of the zoo animals...I'm guessing an ostrich.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:21 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Buy and read the book ''The Heart of the Beast''. There are none so blind as those who refuse to see...I'm not going to waste my time if you don't have an open mind.
You got it Sport!
Old 06-23-2014, 06:25 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Just to be clear, I'm the one driving in 6th at 25 MPH. That would make you one of the zoo animals...I'm guessing an ostrich.
Ok Sport! Have a nice day!
Old 06-23-2014, 06:30 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Well the official "expressed purpose "is that the 1 to 4 skip was designed to save gas when you're not demanding much of the engine. I don't think anyone is saying what you've said above.
I didn't say it, I quoted this guy:

I agree with Brad and dtana. I would never abuse my ZR-1 that way,either. Just because you can do something,doesn't mean you should.
Just to be clear, a 25 MPH cruise requires less than 5 HP...what is your definition of ''not demanding much of the engine''?

For people who don't care what I do with my car, you guys are sure wrapped around the axle on this.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:37 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I just got back from Salt Lake. B/c of this thread, I decided to take the 'Vette and make a vid.

Here is a very boring video of me driving through my neighborhood at 25-32 mph. I climb a steep hill at the beginning in 4th, 5th, then shift into 6th at ~ 0:23. Down shift to 5th at 0:52, back up to 6th at ~1:00 to the end of the vid.

Now you'll watch and say, "I don't see anything noteworthy." That is exactly right. My engine isn't bucking, lurching, vibrating, rattling...nothing...just rolling along w/no complaints. You don't have to, but...It can do it.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:39 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,864 Likes on 1,081 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I don't care what you guys run your engine at and didn't intend to start a war over something so silly,
If you don't care,why don't you shut up and just let it go? You were doing ok there for awhile but continuing this stupid argument just makes you look foolish.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:41 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

you guys are sure wrapped around the axle on this.
You must have intended to say "half shaft" correct Sport?
Old 06-23-2014, 06:43 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

I just got back from Salt Lake. B/c of this thread, I decided to take the 'Vette and make a vid.

Here is a very boring video of me driving through my neighborhood at 25-32 mph. I climb a steep hill at the beginning in 4th, 5th, then shift into 6th at ~ 0:23. Down shift to 5th at 0:52, back up to 6th at ~1:00 to the end of the vid.

Now you'll watch and say, "I don't see anything noteworthy." That is exactly right. My engine isn't bucking, lurching, vibrating, rattling...nothing...just rolling along w/no complaints. You don't have to, but...It can do it.
Tom,I never said your car or glass slipper's car would not do what you say it will. I only said I saw no need to try it with my car. Is there a problem with that,guys?
Old 06-23-2014, 06:51 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

If you don't care,why don't you shut up and just let it go? You were doing ok there for awhile but continuing this stupid argument just makes you look foolish.
B/c you (those who believe in "lugging") are spreading misinformation! Lore! It's not true.

Who looks foolish? The person speaking fact or the person who passes off his psychology as "fact", then gets pissed at the presentation of fact? Yikes.

Get notified of new replies

To 1993 ZR-1 HP & Torque

Old 06-23-2014, 06:57 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Tom,I never said your car or glass slipper's car would not do what you say it will. I only said I saw no need to try it with my car. Is there a problem with that,guys?
Absolutely not. In fact, if you look back to post #34, you'll see where I said;
I'm not trying to convince anyone that they should drive their car a certain way. Absolutely not.
I believe GS said about the same thing.

My problem is when people blurt out things like;
I would never abuse my ZR-1 that way,either.
And...

Because no high performance car is designed with even the remotest thought that someone is going to be "cruising" at 25mph in top overdrive gear.
...when those statement just ain't true! Drive your car how you want to! But don't mislead others by making false claims, based on your "feelings" and state them as fact.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:57 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

I give up,Tom. Have a nice day.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:03 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

LOL Give up. I wonder if you even read what I wrote. Or watched the vid? Did it look like the car was being abused?? You have a nice day too, bud.

Quick Reply: 1993 ZR-1 HP & Torque