C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Check gauges light and oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 11:00 PM
blownrunner
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Check gauges light and oil pressure

I sometimes get the check gauges light to light/flicker when I am at idle and the engine is completely warmed up. I give the engine light accelerator pedal makes it go out. I replaced the the gauge sensor, but not the check gauges light switch, about a year ago. Currently, oil pressure gauge reads 1/2 up the scale, the engine has 10W-30, and the level is full.

What is the correct reading on the oil pressure gauge when hot and at idle? Mine reads 1/2 way between the '0' and high side of the gauge. I believe I don't have a problem, but the service manual is really no help.

Thanks everyone.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:06 AM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by blownrunner

What is the correct reading on the oil pressure gauge when hot and at idle? Mine reads 1/2 way between the '0' and high side of the gauge. I believe I don't have a problem, but the service manual is really no help.

Thanks everyone.
Oil pressure at idle sounds about right - no idea what's causing the flickering check gauges tho ...
Old 06-01-2014, 07:12 PM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by blownrunner
When I first got the car, the oil pressure gauge was all over the place. I was told to replace the oil pressure transmitter by the oil filter, which corrected it, and was also told it was a common problem.

I thought the oil pressure signal was sent through the CCM and if it was too low, the CCM would illuminate the 'check gauges' light, as the light can also be triggered for high coolant temp and high oil temp. I thought the CCM controlled all this.

Now I discovered there is an oil pressure switch also that sends input to the light.
See Engine Lubrication System Functional Discussion

Old 06-02-2014, 01:18 AM
95ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Start simple:
What is your idle RPM?
Maybe your idle is just too low
and the engine is stalling out.

Last edited by 95ZR1; 06-02-2014 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Wanted 2

Get notified of new replies

To Check gauges light and oil pressure