C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

ZR1 CA. Smog

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 02:18 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by sal826
Jeff,

The other day my 91 Z failed the NOX (650), so now I'm pretty much screwed and cant get the Tags. I just don't get it. The car is like new w/37k miles. Never abused or modified, but yet now I can't drive it. I'm not sure what to do now.
Mine passed smog in April. I looked at the test results to see the NOX measured but there is no measurement. The test printout says something about a visual/functional test is used to assist in identifying oxides of nitrogen, crankcase and cold start emissions which are not measured in the idle test.
Maybe Santa Cruz is not as strict on some measurements.
Wonder if you can get a test done in a different county than yours?
Old 07-03-2014, 10:53 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by ZR-71
Mine passed smog in April. I looked at the test results to see the NOX measured but there is no measurement. The test printout says something about a visual/functional test is used to assist in identifying oxides of nitrogen, crankcase and cold start emissions which are not measured in the idle test.
My car failed twice in the past,the Nox is what kills everybody.I went from 700 down to 303,the State max on Nox is 502,down from 702 a few years ago.I honestly dont know how the State can legally keep lowering the smog levels.Dave,we need to get together one of these days.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:58 AM
95ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Jeff,

The other day my 91 Z failed the NOX (650), so now I'm pretty much screwed and cant get the Tags. I just don't get it. The car is like new w/37k miles. Never abused or modified, but yet now I can't drive it. I'm not sure what to do now.
Very annoying, isn't it? And the CA smog website says they NEVER reduce the smog requirements.
Are you getting the "STAR" requirement? Harder to pay someone under the table,
but we wouldn't do that anyway, right?

From what I know, HC's go up if combustion (& exhaust) aren't hot enough which is what we are usually chasing.
High NOX is possibly from running TOO HOT. Assuming everything is working as it should,
this temperature balance is important.

You have a bunch of options. First, read the paperwork. They say take it to a mechanic/shop and see if something
needs to be fixed. They are older cars now and things deteriorate. I'm just leery that someone not trained or familiar
with the LT5 will mess things up. It could be something like the charcoal canister or spent cats, or you need maintenance
like new plugs, change your oil, etc. There are additives like "Pass Smog" you can try. You can enlist the help of a tuner
(Like Marc Haibeck) to deal with the specific area where you need the help.

Ultimately, you can go to a State Smog Referee and show them everything is as it should be. I've never had to go
this far.

Ask me how I know. It's an every 2 year PITA we have to deal with. For my car I have my "system" I do every 2 years
to pass legitimately. Good Luck!

Last edited by 95ZR1; 07-04-2014 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Wanted 2
Old 07-04-2014, 12:02 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Jeff,

My NOx was running high and it went down by almost half by changing out the O2 sensors. The formation of oxides of nitrogen is very sensitive to fuel mixture and if the O2 sensor is old and contaminated, even a 5% shift in accuracy will lead to a big change in NOx. They sensors are about $44 each at autozone for made in USA Bosch replacements (the oem German ones aren't made anymore- but no need, the ones you can buy now are good).
Old 07-07-2014, 07:14 PM
sal826
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR-71
Well I tried smogging it again today - apparently the Gods liked me because I now PASSED!!. According to the report, my NOx score is now 391 and 364...
Old 07-08-2014, 12:14 AM
95ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Well I tried smogging it again today - apparently the Gods liked me because I now PASSED!!. According to the report, my NOx score is now 391 and 364...
Congrats! Great feeling, huh?
Now go burn some rubber!

Last edited by 95ZR1; 07-08-2014 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Wanted 2
Old 07-08-2014, 12:36 AM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Congrats

Quick Reply: ZR1 CA. Smog