C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Mud flapes?/Power plates

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 07:34 PM
ABBEZR1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mud flapes?/Power plates

I bought my z about 3 years ago and it had mud flaps front and back. I never thought too much about them until I was looking at some pics and not too many people have them. What's your opinion? I'm thinking about taking them off?

I also have a question about so called power plates or plenum spacers. I never noticed but my plenum gaskets look huge compared to anything I've seen pictured. What are they? Is there a benefit? Should I take these off also?

Thanks for any input or suggestions.

Steve

Last edited by ABBEZR1; 04-08-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:51 PM
ZR1North
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ABBEZR1
I bought my z about 3 years ago and it had mud flapes front and back. I never thought too much about them until I was looking at some pics and not too many people have them. What's your opinion? I'm thinking about taking them off?

I also have a question about so called power plates or plenum spacers. I never noticed but my plenum gaskets look huge compared to anythingIi've seen pictured. What are they? Is there a benefit? Should I take these off also?

Steve
Took them of off mine as well. Mine only has 22,000 mi and driven very carefully, but it still had some road rash on the bottom portion of the rockers, so I don't think the flaps added a lot of value. They also marked the fenders a little as well. Not a big fan of flaps I guess.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:07 PM
JimZRyd
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I have them on mine. They are really not that noticeable. They are black and fold backwards towards the rear about halfway down the flap. Think I got them from Ecklers. I don't have any road rash on my rockers, and don't want any!

Jim
Old 04-09-2014, 04:54 PM
secondchance
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ABBEZR1
I also have a question about so called power plates or plenum spacers. I never noticed but my plenum gaskets look huge compared to anything I've seen pictured. What are they? Is there a benefit? Should I take these off also?

Steve
Power plates are phenolic spacers sold during the 90s. Claim was that by separating the plenum from the injector housing w/ phenolic plate, heat transfer would be interupted to the plenum keeping the intake air cooler. What the actual intake air temp drop would be, I do not know.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:37 PM
ABBEZR1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by secondchance
Power plates are phenolic spacers sold during the 90s. Claim was that by separating the plenum from the injector housing w/ phenolic plate, heat transfer would be interupted to the plenum keeping the intake air cooler. What the actual intake air temp drop would be, I do not know.
Thanks, I've never seen the spacer in any lt5 photos. My car does have the opened up license plate snorkle thing or air induction. Some previous owner must of did this in the 90's like you said. I will have to check with Jerry's or Marc to see if any benefit. If not when I do my first plenum pull I will remove he spacer.

Thanks, Steve
Old 04-10-2014, 04:53 PM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Any one that want's to sell the molded mud flaps PM me with a price.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:54 AM
Graybeard ZR1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those mud flaps are protecting the paint on your rocker panels. I personally can't stand mud flaps on anything but a truck, and don't have any on my car. Therefore, the paint on my rockers has suffered.

I've had the phenolic plenum spacers on my LT5 for many years. The only down side to them is that they decrease plenum clearance with the hood.
On my car, the quarter inch plenum spacer lifted the plenum enough that the throttle bracket caused a scrape on the black underhood paint. This doesn't happen on all ZR-1's. So, if you don't have that problem, you're o.k.
The theory of the spacers is to interrupt the heat sink that goes to the plenum from the heads, keeping it cooler. Cooler intake, more oxygen, more performance. The theory sounds good, but there has never been any real testing that showed any performance gain.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:06 PM
ABBEZR1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Graybeard ZR1
Those mud flaps are protecting the paint on your rocker panels. I personally can't stand mud flaps on anything but a truck, and don't have any on my car. Therefore, the paint on my rockers has suffered.

I've had the phenolic plenum spacers on my LT5 for many years. The only down side to them is that they decrease plenum clearance with the hood.
On my car, the quarter inch plenum spacer lifted the plenum enough that the throttle bracket caused a scrape on the black underhood paint. This doesn't happen on all ZR-1's. So, if you don't have that problem, you're o.k.
The theory of the spacers is to interrupt the heat sink that goes to the plenum from the heads, keeping it cooler. Cooler intake, more oxygen, more performance. The theory sounds good, but there has never been any real testing that showed any performance gain.
Thanks for letting me know more info on the spacers. I wish there was more info if they really helped performance. I still can't decide on the flaps,I took one of the rear ones off just to look at the difference and from 20 feet away you can't tell they are on. From right next to the car I think they look better off and it really makes the rear tires even wider with them off.

Thanks Steve
Old 04-11-2014, 08:42 PM
zrracer
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 137 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

had mime on when the car went to LPE.Grahm left them on so I am thnking they at least R not hurting anything. The idea sounds good. cooler air is better.
If u sell them I would not give em away.
Robin
Old 04-14-2014, 06:26 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

at WOT the air is traveling pretty fast and I wonder how much time there is for heat transfer. getting colder air into the engine for sure makes power. I dynoed the LSV on a cool 50 deg day (dry) and it pulled 530 at the tires uncorrected.

there isn't a correction factor on the street, and 20 hp is noticeable

as for the molded flaps, I have them and like them.

I had to fix one over the weekend. the plastic got hard and brittle from the engine heat and a couple chunks cracked where the bolts hold the flap. a little creative hot glue and fiberglass got it fixed up and looking ok. the only damage is inside the fender well which gets a bit dirty anyway

like the look and especially like the dirt being kept off the rear quarters and burning rubber as well which is a pain to clean off

the turbo buick always had a thick coat of rubber nodules on the inside of the fender and once they harden they are tough to remove
Old 04-14-2014, 09:41 AM
Graybeard ZR1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
getting colder air into the engine for sure makes power. I dynoed the LSV on a cool 50 deg day (dry) and it pulled 530 at the tires uncorrected.
So true, especially on the LT5. Here in Florida there is a noticeable, seat of the pants, difference on hot and cool days.
This is one of the factors that makes those Chicago boys LT5's so strong.
That's why I have tried to keep that intake air as cool as possible. Relocating the IAT, (intake air sensor), from the engine to behind the front bumper helps too.
Keeping the sensor from retarding ignition timing helps develop more power. Every lil' bit helps.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:23 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 490 Likes on 391 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Does anyone have pics of flaps on their Z? I assume these are different than for a regular C4

Originally Posted by Graybeard ZR1
I've always felt the same, but if these can help protect the paint, I'm willing to keep an open mind

Get notified of new replies

To Mud flapes?/Power plates

Quick Reply: Mud flapes?/Power plates