C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Car Shows/Competitions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 03:00 PM
NVMYRC51
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Car Shows/Competitions?

I am planning on doing some Car Shows. What advice/info can Car Show guys give me? What criteria will the judges be looking for? Thanks.

Craig,
Old 03-26-2014, 03:38 PM
Graybeard ZR1
Racer

Originally Posted by NVMYRC51
I am planning on doing some Car Shows. What advice/info can Car Show guys give me? What criteria will the judges be looking for? Thanks. Craig,
Go over to the ZR-1 Registry site and look under NCRS for ZR-1's section in the forums. That will give you some info. But, if you are just doing local show and shine type gatherings, just clean her up, take her out, and be prepared for the...."I never seen a small block Chevy like that" response.

Hey, let us know where you decide to show it. If it's up in Lauderdale, or palm beach county maybe I'll stop by.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:04 PM
NVMYRC51
Racer

Hey Graybeard thanks. I did a small local show last weekend and the judge told me I should NCRS my car for sure. I will look into it.

Craig,
Old 03-26-2014, 04:32 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Hey Graybeard thanks. I did a small local show last weekend and the judge told me I should NCRS my car for sure. I will look into it.

Craig,
If thinking about NCRS, start as follows:
1 Join NCRS
2 Order the judging process publication
3 Order the specific judging manual for your year
4 Read all of the above
5 If you still are interested at that point, find a local chapter of the NCRS.
6 join the local chapter.
7 STUDY ALL AND ASK QUESTIONS
8 Begin preparing your car
9 Go for flight judging
10 HAVE FUN!!!

Or
Simply sign up for the next flight judging at your local chapter,have it judged, take the sheets and correct any and all noted deficiencies, then attend the next event, and have it judged again.

Just know what you are getting into, and know and understand how it may change the way you currently use the car.

Good luck and have FUN

Marty
NCRSZR1
95PACER
Old 03-26-2014, 04:52 PM
91vettezr1
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I am planning on doing some Car Shows. What advice/info can Car Show guys give me? What criteria will the judges be looking for? Thanks.

Craig,
I have found most shows are a CLEANLINESS show. This is of course comparing cars that are similar in condition.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:31 AM
95ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 91vettezr1
I have found most shows are a CLEANLINESS show. This is of course comparing cars that are similar in condition.
This is absolutely correct. In my experience, even though I thought my ZR-1 is COOL
(as did most people who saw the car and asked a lot of questions) it was
the SPOTLESS cars that won trophies.

Last edited by 95ZR1; 03-27-2014 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Wanted 2
Old 03-27-2014, 10:48 AM
NVMYRC51
Racer

Yea after looking into the NCRS, it will not be my cup of tea. Nothing wrong with it but as someone already mentioned for me to be serious about it, it would alter how I use/drive my car. I also noticed the cleanliness issue which is to be expected. My question now though is how much does engine dressing really count? My engine bay is really clean but to date I have not "dressed" it with any shine products. I actually felt silly the first time I vaccuumed it and used the air gun but the results were great but again I didn't saturate the area with what looks like baby oil or tire shine stuff. Now keep in mind I am whining just to be whining probably out of boredom. I love my Z and I love DRIVING my Z so a moderate amount of clean and prep I will do but I will never forego the enjoyment of driving just to be able to win or even place at a show. It is a car afterall and where else can you drive art? Oh and lastly does my B&B exhaust lose me points? How about period correct aftermarket reproduction chrome rims? I have the stockers as well but the pic shows what I am talking about.
Attached Images  

Last edited by NVMYRC51; 03-27-2014 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-28-2014, 12:00 AM
edram454
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Hello Craig. I saw your car and spoke to you for a while at the Grand Prize show last weekend. Your car is very nice and clean too. The only things you could do is nik pik it to death as far as the small details. Your engine is very clean and as you told me has the original finish which is amazing since those finishes were so lousy and cheap. Dont put any dressing on your engine at all. Anything but mild soap and water might stain the cheap powder coating our cars have. Mine has some stains on it since one of the two previous owners tried to clean it. You can spend time around the wheel wells and the frame rails etc.. to get every little rock and dust out of there.

Any nicks in your interior should also be addressed. Any paint chips or marks etc.. can be corrected too. Your car will show well and hoping somebody appreciates the c4 model and the zr1 in particular your car will score well. The guys that win the most are the ones that spend forever on detailing the car and drive it home and store it for the next show. It is very hard to drive and show a car at local shows and expect to always win. I believe we had the only two lt5 zr1's at the show.

When we had the judges meeting I was told just to look for cleanliness and obvious misalignments and dirt etc... on paint, body panels, interior panels, carpet etc.. These shows can be fun if one has the right attitude. It's nice if you win and it's ok if you dont.

I will try to make the first saturday of the month sir pizza show but I just received my HID fog lights and also had a VSS failure with my speedometer. I have been lucky and have obtained two NOS VSS sensors for the 1990 Corvette. These have been obsolete since 2003 so I was extremely lucky. I would like to have these two things done before I take her out again. Good luck with your beautiful ride and maybe I will also see you at the friday night drags at Homestead speedway.

ed ramos #3028
Old 03-28-2014, 11:54 AM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Yea after looking into the NCRS, it will not be my cup of tea. Nothing wrong with it but as someone already mentioned for me to be serious about it, it would alter how I use/drive my car. I also noticed the cleanliness issue which is to be expected. My question now though is how much does engine dressing really count? My engine bay is really clean but to date I have not "dressed" it with any shine products. I actually felt silly the first time I vaccuumed it and used the air gun but the results were great but again I didn't saturate the area with what looks like baby oil or tire shine stuff. Now keep in mind I am whining just to be whining probably out of boredom. I love my Z and I love DRIVING my Z so a moderate amount of clean and prep I will do but I will never forego the enjoyment of driving just to be able to win or even place at a show. It is a car afterall and where else can you drive art? Oh and lastly does my B&B exhaust lose me points? How about period correct aftermarket reproduction chrome rims? I have the stockers as well but the pic shows what I am talking about.
The NCRS encourages people to drive their cars. They don't give awards to the cleanest car - that's not how it works. When they judge cars - it is to a standard. The scoring is how close the car being presented comes to that standard. All cars at a show or none of them could win the top award. The standard is how close the car being presented appears to factory produced and dealer prepped.

So yes, you will get dinged for chrome A-molds on a 90. Guess what - 90s didn't come with chrome A-molds. Same with the exhaust. But those items likely wouldn't prevent you from achieving a top flight award. As for dirt, NCRS judging is not obsessive about dirt - example - they give distance points for how far you drive the car to the event! The scoring is focused on originality first, then condition. There are general cleanliness points, but they are small and again are focused on how clean the dealer was likely to clean your car prior to deliver.

I have two Corvette - both have been top flighted - and I drive both. A 1967 435HP Coupe and a 1995 ZR-1.

Get notified of new replies

To Car Shows/Competitions?

Quick Reply: Car Shows/Competitions?