C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

miss or secondaries opening?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 05:38 PM
NVNO1
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Default miss or secondaries opening?

I recently had all new injectors put in and a couple of vaccum leaks fixed under the plenum. Also did new plugs, all fluids and filters. The car now seems to have a miss in it when you roll into the throttle. Not sure if it is normal "secondaries opening" or if there is something more to it. It seems more noticable when it's cold. It only does it with full power on.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:39 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by NVNO1
I recently had all new injectors put in and a couple of vaccum leaks fixed under the plenum. Also did new plugs, all fluids and filters. The car now seems to have a miss in it when you roll into the throttle. Not sure if it is normal "secondaries opening" or if there is something more to it. It seems more noticable when it's cold. It only does it with full power on.
Add di-electric grease to the inside of the plug boots, fill them full.

See if that helps. Bet it will fix you right up.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:44 PM
Demps
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Good advice above.

Here's my QC--miss hot or cold?

Take car out and run it a gear high. Ease into throttle. Does it miss/buck? Does this isolate it? Early pubs put spark plug gap at 0.050. As these cars age they can't seem to handle it. I've found that later gap specs work better--0.035.

If it misses regardless (all the time), need to know more.
Ted
Old 03-06-2014, 11:57 AM
scottfab
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure sounds like an intake manifold leak. (at the gasket or MAP sensor hose)
Any codes being set?
You may want to attach a vacuum gauge to the intake and see what happens when you run the rpm up. Does it flutter around the miss?
Does it seem to die out if you do a quick WOT?
Old 03-10-2014, 05:46 PM
NVNO1
Pro

Originally Posted by z06scentair

Thanks for the tip. I haven't had a chance to drive it over the last week or so, but I'm planning on getting it soon and would like to get this issue fixed.

Not sure what the gap is on the plugs, however there are brand new plugs in the car.

Don't think it's a vaccum leak due to the fact I jast had all new injectors put in and the two that were an issue were fixed at that time although maybe something was overlooked?

I noticed the miss/hesitation does not happen on normal power. Also if you barely roll into with the car at on full power it does not happen. The throttle has to be 1/4 way down or more on full power then it misses/hesitates. I think it seems to be more noticeable when it's cold. I plan to get it out soon and get it nice hot to see if it does it at normal oprating temp.

Thanks for tips and I'll report back soon
Old 03-19-2014, 05:47 PM
NVNO1
Pro

Ok so I had a chance to take it out.
The car only misses/hesitates when it's cold and only when it's on full power.
Once everything is up to operating temp there is no miss at all anywhere in the rmp band on normal or full power.
So the miss/hesitation is only when it's cold on full power at about 2500 rpm only. Then when it's all warmed up there is no miss at all..
Old 03-19-2014, 09:21 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Once everything is up to operating temp there is no miss at all anywhere in the rmp band on normal or full power.
So the miss/hesitation is only when it's cold on full power at about 2500 rpm only. Then when it's all warmed up there is no miss at all..
Did you install some di-electric grease into the plug boots? Sounds like that may be the culprit.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:57 PM
scottfab
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what spark plugs are you running. a spark plug with too cold of a temperature range could cause the symptoms you are having.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:46 PM
NVNO1
Pro

Originally Posted by z06scentair

Gave that a try and wham, fixed!! When I pulled the boots off they were all completely dry. I added the die-electric grease to all the boots and poped them back on the plugs and no more miss. Thanks for the tip!! No more miss=no more frustration

Last edited by NVNO1; 03-23-2014 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Wrong word
Old 03-24-2014, 06:37 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Gave that a try and wham, fixed!! When I pulled the boots off they were all completely dry. I added the die-electric grease to all the boots and poped them back on the plugs and no more miss. Thanks for the tip!! No more miss=no more frustration
Glad your back to normal!

Get notified of new replies

To miss or secondaries opening?

Quick Reply: miss or secondaries opening?