C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Easy way to remove gas

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 10:24 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 342 Likes on 213 Posts

Default Easy way to remove gas

I haven't started my 91 for two years. Is there an easy way to remove the old gas from the tank.

I'd really like to install an aircraft quick drain.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:11 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by ztheusa
I haven't started my 91 for two years. Is there an easy way to remove the old gas from the tank.

I'd really like to install an aircraft quick drain.
You could use the 12V onboard fuel system if you removed the fuel line at the fuel filter, if your fuel wasn't as old as you mention you could consider using the valve at the fuel rail and a long line. Removing the tank unit and an initial "syphon" operation I'd think the likely best start and the lines used as maybe the "final flush" with "fresh fuel".

Removal of the tank unit is easily accomplished "standing flat-footed" on the ground and provides easy access to the tank interior.

The aircraft quick drain I'd think is NOT an option. There hasn't been bottom drains in tanks since the mid - late 50's on most domestic passenger cars.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-22-2014 at 05:14 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:20 AM
A26B
Drifting

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

If the tank wasn't full of fuel , it's common for the fuel sender to rust. I had a 93 with 168 miles that had sat for long periods like that. I had to siphon the rust from the bottom of the tank. I used clear poly hose with a 2ft piece of 1/2 copper tube on the end to "vacuum" the bottom of the tank while siphoning. Using a good, explosion-proof flashlight to see the bottom while "siphoning" was essential.

I have seen pictures of much worse than this one.

I also recommend replacing the plastic hose clamps with ss worm clamps. Turn the screws where it won't interfere with the reinstallation of the sender.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:14 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

The fuel tanks since 1976 have bladders in them, for safety and incidentally prevents the tank from rotting out.. A drain would ruin that, and cause emission failures (if that is a concern). I've used a syphon, and then rags to remove the rest and to clean the tank, after removing the fuel pump assembly.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:39 AM
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by zr1fred
The fuel tanks since 1976 have bladders in them, for safety and incidentally prevents the tank from rotting out.. A drain would ruin that, and cause emission failures (if that is a concern). I've used a syphon, and then rags to remove the rest and to clean the tank, after removing the fuel pump assembly.
Good advice. I've become an expert at siphoning fuel fuel from the toys, but I need to add that if you suspect that the fuel is old (smell it) do not turn the key on.

10% ethanol will develop a nasty turpentine like smell. You don't want to run that through the pumps and injectors.

Also, after you siphon the tank and add fresh fuel, run a can of Berrymans B-12 Chemtool as per instructions.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:17 AM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Well, I took the easy way out.

I reinstalled the battery, which had been on a BatteryMinder, started it up and drove to eastern Washingtom. 200 miles.

It drove just fine, as the Pacific NW must be ideal for gas storage.....plus it had STA-BIL in it.

I stopped in Cle Elum and put 15 gallons of 92 in. I sure like driving that Corvette ZR1. It now has 15,555 miles, pulling into Desert Aire.

Took a snooze at the top of the Vantage hill.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:25 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I drain tanks on 3 Corvettes on a regular basis.

I use one of these kerosene manual pumps which is about $5 :

I took off the orange hose on this manual pump and fit it onto the output and the input sections of the kerosene pump and use black electrical tape to secure it and make sure there are no leaks. I then use 3 or 4 red gas tanks to transfer the gas. You pump the bulb a few times and it creates a siphon as long as the red fuel tank is on the ground.

Then on the transfer of the gas to the new vette, I use a transmission funnel that looks like this:

It stands up perfect in the tank and goes quickly. You can put some towels around the funnel as well in case you accidentally splash some gas.

This system works perfectly for me.

If holding the tanks causes a problem for you. You can always put the tank on a ladder and create an automatic siphon by pumping the bulb a few times and allowing the gas to automatically flow. You turn the **** on the top to stop the automatic flow.

I hope this helps you out. This solution is about $20 all in. There may be better ways but this way is foolproof and works for me on all 3 Vettes. I thought the mityvak orange pump would work good on its own but it leaks like alot of other solutions.

I keep all my cars full of gas when storing them and use Ethanol Free 93 octane. It's important to keep them full or you can get water and rust etc.

Good luck.

Last edited by xlr8nflorida; 04-06-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:58 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

xlr8nflorida, Thanks

That system looks great. I need to put the parts together. Yesterday I washed and waxed the car, filled it with premium and a can of STA-BIL and tucked it away in my hangar. It might be another two years before it starts again.

Best.......

Get notified of new replies

To Easy way to remove gas

Quick Reply: Easy way to remove gas