C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

To buy a ZR1......or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 12:37 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 644 Likes on 421 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Dynomite
I think he is talking Oil Pressure Regulating Valve (OPRV) Cover (two 8mm bolts)
Here,if these pictures dont scare you off then nothing will.This is for replacing the fuel injectors.Did the job in my garage a few years ago.[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-28-2013, 01:19 AM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
Here,if these pictures dont scare you off then nothing will.This is for replacing the fuel injectors.Did the job in my garage a few years ago.
That is a great photo....I think I copied that some time ago....a very clean photo of what you see excluding the Plenum

Last edited by Dynomite; 02-28-2013 at 01:22 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:45 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dynomite
That is a great photo....I think I copied that some time ago....a very clean photo of what you see excluding the Plenum
Hey Dynomite,in this picture can you tell if my car has the defective butterfly diaphragms?
Old 02-28-2013, 02:51 PM
WydGlydJim
Team Owner

Received 296 Likes on 141 Posts

Hey Dynomite,in this picture can you tell if my car has the defective butterfly diaphragms?

I can't tell in that pic, but I can tell in the first pic, that the diaphragm pods were installed backwards. What you are looking for is angle that the rod comes out of the diaphragm pod.......if the assembler would have had any mechanical ability at all, they would have known that the rod should be in line, and come out straight from the pod, instead of at an angle. If they work, I would not change them, because the diaphragms have been run in, or used to this force applied, and turning them around would surely cause them to leak/break. Mine were on wrong when I took the plenum off of the '90, and it has over 70k on the clock now with them that way. I did check the operation, and it works fine, just not optimum in that configuration.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by WydGlydJim
Better jump on that quasar blue '91 before I do! More car for the money can't be had........and QB is absolutely the best color!
THAT CAR JUST SOLD FOR $16,400. Helluva buy!!

Last edited by Vette Daddy; 03-01-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:01 PM
cvette98pacecar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if I would buy a ZR-1. ROFLAO.

I bought three in the last two years and already know where the fourth one is. Where do you live? I am sure we can get you a drive in a ZR-1.
Oh yeah what color do you want?
We will even find you the car that you want to buy.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:10 PM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

I do not see them butterfly diaphragms
I do not have butterfly diaphragms sans secondaries
You do have the defective installation vacuum cannisters as WydGlydJim noticed

Originally Posted by WydGlydJim
I can tell in the first pic, that the diaphragm pods were installed backwards. What you are looking for is angle that the rod comes out of the diaphragm pod.......if the assembler would have had any mechanical ability at all, they would have known that the rod should be in line, and come out straight from the pod, instead of at an angle.
I think you will be surprised to know that they were installed that way at the factory (at least that is what I have heard and what I have experienced myself). I guess when you say assembler.....you mean assembly line...so you know already and this little note is meaningless

Vacuum Cannister showing "L" connection.......Vacuum Cannister installed "correctly"

Last edited by Dynomite; 02-28-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:53 PM
tjvette90
Instructor

Originally Posted by cvette98pacecar
I don't know if I would buy a ZR-1. ROFLAO.

I bought three in the last two years and already know where the fourth one is. Where do you live? I am sure we can get you a drive in a ZR-1.
Oh yeah what color do you want?
We will even find you the car that you want to buy.
1. I live in central New Jersey. Love to drive a ZR-1, never have before. Not even sure I'll fit, as I'm a big guy (6'4", 270). I fit just fine in my 90 vert automatic; a 90 ZR-1 is out as I DON'T fit in the sport seats (would have to find alternative seats for a 90).
2. Color? Not too picky. Black Rose first choice, but 92 might not fit in budget. Don't want to hurt any feelings here, but not keen on red interior and red over red is OUT (sorry!). Also like yellow
3. Certainly will be looking for help and advice when time to pull the trigger!
Old 02-28-2013, 10:03 PM
cvette98pacecar
Racer

Originally Posted by tjvette90
1. I live in central New Jersey. Love to drive a ZR-1, never have before. Not even sure I'll fit, as I'm a big guy (6'4", 270). I fit just fine in my 90 vert automatic; a 90 ZR-1 is out as I DON'T fit in the sport seats (would have to find alternative seats for a 90).
2. Color? Not too picky. Black Rose first choice, but 92 might not fit in budget. Don't want to hurt any feelings here, but not keen on red interior and red over red is OUT (sorry!). Also like yellow
I know where a 70K mile 92 Black Rose with gray interior is right now, you could probably get in the car for 17K that leaves you 3k to get big boy seats. Just so you know there are many stock LT5 out there that have hit the 200K mile mark with no or little wear to the bottom end of the engine.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:22 PM
tjvette90
Instructor

Originally Posted by cvette98pacecar
I know where a 70K mile 92 Black Rose with gray interior is right now, you could probably get in the car for 17K that leaves you 3k to get big boy seats. Just so you know there are many stock LT5 out there that have hit the 200K mile mark with no or little wear to the bottom end of the engine.
There was one in Morton, IL but I don't see it listed anymore. Is that the one you were thinking of?
Old 03-01-2013, 06:28 AM
rickyrj1
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in central Jersey if you wanna check one out for a drive.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:44 AM
tjvette90
Instructor

Originally Posted by rickyrj1
I'm in central Jersey if you wanna check one out for a drive.
Sent you a PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:53 AM
rickyrj1
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Sent you a PM.
Replied, talk to ya soon
Old 03-03-2013, 12:23 PM
combatdoc
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I can say this, my Z has 62,500 now and I drive it, alot, cause I can't get enough of that motor, my buddies have ls vettes c5/c6's and they have more issues than I do, and I run right with them, even torcher some of em, hehe. The problems with ZR-1's are the c4 problems not the powertrain. In the 90's my dad knew there was something special about these cars, and I continue the family trend, and it's a pleasure.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:49 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hear, Hear!

Originally Posted by combatdoc
I can say this, my Z has 62,500 now and I drive it, alot, cause I can't get enough of that motor, my buddies have ls vettes c5/c6's and they have more issues than I do, and I run right with them, even torcher some of em, hehe. The problems with ZR-1's are the c4 problems not the powertrain. In the 90's my dad knew there was something special about these cars, and I continue the family trend, and it's a pleasure.
Well said, Doc. True on all accounts. It annoys some of the C5 and C6 guys that ours are so good especially the tuned lt5's. Yesterday at the gas station I was there with my TBSS with a 2008 ls2 in it and its 4:10 rear end and a guy with a 2000 c5 pulled up and started talking to me about how wonderful his Vette was and what a collectors item it would be..he bought it new. I asked him what his engine was and he said 350 hp. I asked him his top speed and he said 175 mph though he has never had it above 120 mph. I asked him if he knew what a zr-1 was and he was clueless. My TBSS would have walked him to 150 mph and my ZR1 would have left his backside blocks back and he'd have never understood why. It was Milennium yellow and it was good looking but it didn't have what my 1991 Z has and is almost a second slower to 60 than mine is and would never pull like ours do. He was still proud of owning it but given the choice, his or mine? I'll take mine every single day.

Last edited by LancePearson; 03-03-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:50 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

you can get either a nice C5 Z06 or a nice early ZR-1 for 20k or less

I have both and will give you some of my perspective

the Z06 is "tighter" stiffer, and better handling car. the LS6 is a great engine, and the C5 rides better overall than the C4 (especially with coil overs)

the ZR-1 has the LT5 which is a super durable engine and with a fantastic top end. the power band on the ZR-1 is just incredible as is the sound the LT5 makes.

both my cars are pretty highly modified. even though my TT Z06 is faster, I prefer the ZR-1.

for sure get the later 95 seats, they are comfortable for long drives and way better than the C5 seats which I really don't care fort

I also really prefer the look of the ZR-1, it has class lines and is much better looking.

my option, buy the ZR-1. it's not called the "legend" for nothing. it's a hand built, super tight, close tolerance engine that is very unique.

pop the hood and you'll really see the difference, the LT5 is a stuner, the LS6, well, not so much
Old 03-07-2013, 08:37 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Ron,

This describes almost exactly what I did when I was looking for a "successor" to my 84 Xfire. I admired the Z06 and the motor. But it felt flimsy in comparison to the ZR-1. I had the opportunity to drive both back to back. And the seating /interior I much preferred w the C4. And the motor is glorious. I ran a c5z at the track one day. Ran him down after the 1/8th. 2 lengths ahead of me, then 2 lengths behind by the end. An OHV motor just "noses over" hen compared to OHC.

Get notified of new replies

To To buy a ZR1......or not?

Old 03-08-2013, 11:57 AM
msmoore
Instructor

I think it's safe to say that you wont find many reasons NOT to buy a ZR1 from anyone here. I purchased my red 90 about a year ago, 20k miles/about $20k. I just turned 30K miles. I drive it whenever I get the chance. I am what would be considered an intermediate mechanic at best and with the help of this group and a DVD from Marc Haibeck, I was able to pull plenum and replace 16 fuel injects in a matter of a few hours. Owning and driving this car is a total blast! Permagrin indeed!!
Go for it and enjoy the (fast) ride!
Old 03-08-2013, 01:56 PM
1969Mike
Heel & Toe

Default 1990 zr-1

tjvette90

Any luck finding a car? New member here. I have a near showroom condition ZR-1 that I bought from the original owner last December. If you want to know why it's up for sale so soon, I'd be glad to let you know. It's red with saddle interior, 25 kmiles. Deviations from stock; high-rise hood (have stock in perfect condition), cat back exhaust (stock pipes will come with it), performance chip which bypasses the 1st to 4th shift. Nittos with about 500 miles. EXCELLENT car, just have to sell. I live in Kansas City.

Last edited by 1969Mike; 03-08-2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: added information
Old 03-08-2013, 02:38 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
Ron,

This describes almost exactly what I did when I was looking for a "successor" to my 84 Xfire. I admired the Z06 and the motor. But it felt flimsy in comparison to the ZR-1. I had the opportunity to drive both back to back. And the seating /interior I much preferred w the C4. And the motor is glorious. I ran a c5z at the track one day. Ran him down after the 1/8th. 2 lengths ahead of me, then 2 lengths behind by the end. An OHV motor just "noses over" hen compared to OHC.
Not to hijack the thread but Dom,check out my old 84.I thought that once I bought my Z Id get motivated and start work on the 84,it didnt happen.Sold the car but loved it and would buy another 84 in a heartbeat.[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply: To buy a ZR1......or not?