C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Rebuilt Bilstein's

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 02:50 PM
GLmajer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 118 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Rebuilt Bilstein's

I just installed my rebuilt Bilstein's on my '94 ZR-1. What a difference it has made in the handling of the car. It took longer than they originally quoted to return the shocks. Instead of 4-6 weeks it took 3 months. Well worth the wait time though. They had to get new rods from Bilstein in Germany before the rebuild. Good thing I had another Vette to drive. I was going through withdrawls of not driving the ZR-1! Tough to look at it for 3 months on blocks! All in all, saved a bunch of money over buying new shocks.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:38 PM
91vettezr1
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by GLmajer
I just installed my rebuilt Bilstein's on my '94 ZR-1. What a difference it has made in the handling of the car. It took longer than they originally quoted to return the shocks. Instead of 4-6 weeks it took 3 months. Well worth the wait time though. They had to get new rods from Bilstein in Germany before the rebuild. Good thing I had another Vette to drive. I was going through withdrawls of not driving the ZR-1! Tough to look at it for 3 months on blocks! All in all, saved a bunch of money over buying new shocks.
i looked into getting some shocks rebuilt, but for $187 you can buy brand new.also i don't think bilstein paints the rebuilt shocks. i remember the fee to rebuild is around $120 each.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:29 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 480 Likes on 388 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

I've been thinking about having mine rebuilt, but I've heard different stories about the warranty of rebuilt shocks ... what's the real story?
Old 02-04-2013, 06:40 AM
Fully Vetted
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I'd like more info on this as well. I only have 32k miles but they are still 19 years old.

What's the cost comparison of rebuilt vs. new purchase?

Doesn't Bilstein put in the special valving when rebuilt? Do you get that valving on the new ones?

I'd like to get it done before driving to BG in May.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:30 AM
LancePearson
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"....Doesn't Bilstein put in the special valving when rebuilt? Do you get that valving on the new ones?"

I believe the Maraca valve is a choice. It starts its variableness not at zero degrees up to 180 on turning the rod and exposing more or less of the damping valve in the process but at something like 82 degrees so rotates faster between 82 and 180 degrees versus 0-180 degrees for change when set. I think it also removes the lowest, softest setting speed step in the speed related changes that control the actual rotating in any of the three settings so you go from 18 to 15 but most who've done it like it a lot from what I read.

You'd normally have them either put that in or stock when you returned yours and made the order I would think. I read on the other forum I think that the warranty on new shocks is far longer than rebuild but if you want the relatively stiffer Maraca valved then you have them rebuild it. I'm not sure I'd be all that concerned with warranty issues on something as well done as Billstein shocks and when mine go I plan to do the rebuild with the Maraca valve. I'd think your shocks would last into the 75-100,000 miles range unless the car is raced on road races very hard, very long or there is some visual sign of failure.

Here is a link to a Hib Halverson article on it. http://corvetteactioncenter.com/tech...src_page3.html

I suppose actuators could fail or the SRC black box controller for the system. The article shows it in the floor well behind the driver next to the abs controller under the doored rear deck but I haven't looked yet. Don't know if when revalving you also change some chip in the SRC (selective ride control) box as well. Would ask since it's a Billstein system done in conjunction with Corvette. A separate post somewhere talks about the revalving but this is a good article on the basic system which isn't so basic at all.

Lance Pearson

Last edited by LancePearson; 02-04-2013 at 09:16 AM. Reason: added
Old 02-04-2013, 08:11 PM
GLmajer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I did the rebuild to save money. I priced new shocks at $230 ea. and did rebuild at $100 ea. But needed new rods so it was an extra $45 per shock. Still saved money and still have the original shocks.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:24 AM
Fully Vetted
Racer

Originally Posted by GLmajer
I did the rebuild to save money. I priced new shocks at $230 ea. and did rebuild at $100 ea. But needed new rods so it was an extra $45 per shock. Still saved money and still have the original shocks.
Three questions:

1. Did you have them do the Maraca valve and if so what do you think?

2. Where did you send them?

3. How long did it take them?

4. Did they really not repaint them?

Ok...4 questions.

By the way...loved the write up in Vette mag. You've got a couple of beautiful cars. I'm half jealous!
Old 02-05-2013, 01:06 AM
Coupe89
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by Fully Vetted
Three questions:

Ok...4 questions.

By the way...loved the write up in Vette mag. You've got a couple of beautiful cars. I'm half jealous!
I did the Moraca valving back in August. It moves everything up one. You losses touring specs. I leave it on Touring - Which is Sport. I didn't know my shock were that shot. Now my car is very stiff. Sometimes too stiff. Might need to look for softer coil over-springs. One bad think about re-valving is the 90 day warranty.
If you buy a new set they will have a lifetime warranty.

I sent the shocks to Bilstein in South California. Used this form http://www.bilsteinus.com/downloads/...rder-form.html

Mine took 2.5 months to get back to me. They were having trouble getting rods for Germany.

They did not paint them. But they cleaned them up. And put on a new sticker.

Last edited by Coupe89; 02-05-2013 at 01:13 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:04 AM
Fully Vetted
Racer

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:21 AM
Moonlk
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got mine back from Bilstien as well. Took two months. Same story-back ordered shafts. I decided to do factory valving as I was reading here how some thought the stiffer valving was too stiff. I sandblasted and painted and redecaled them last weekend and plan to reinstall next weekend. I won't be able to try them out for a while as we have about two feet of snow here.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:07 PM
GLmajer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Fully Vetted
Three questions:

Ok...4 questions.

1. Did stock valving as I talked to one guy before hand and said Maraca valving was really stiff.
2. www.bilsteinus.com . Sent to Thyssenkrupp Bilstein of American in Southern Calif. (800)537-1085
3. Took 3 months on waiting for rods from Germany. Would have been much less time if the rods were ok.
4. No repaint but they did clean up really nice.

Thanks for your comment on my beautiful cars in Vette Magazine.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:50 PM
SnAkeDr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the 89-91 FX3 interchangeable with 92-95 FX3 if you change the gears?

I want to send my originals out to be rebuilt. Has anyone sent shocks out for rebuild lately? I wonder what the current turn around time is.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:47 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by SnAkeDr
Are the 89-91 FX3 interchangeable with 92-95 FX3 if you change the gears?

I want to send my originals out to be rebuilt. Has anyone sent shocks out for rebuild lately? I wonder what the current turn around time is.
Yes I beleive only difference are the top gears which have different stop points. The mounting points and the internal valving are the same however as far as i know. I state this as the 3 selections dont change and are acheived the same way. Only time the valving is changed is when you choose a setting like the moroca valve option.

Last edited by Goldcylon; 10-07-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:42 PM
SnAkeDr
Racer

I ended up sending my original shocks to Delta Vee. It was cheaper and faster turnaround. Bilstein was quoting turnaround times of up to 3 months. Not mention the rear rods are discontinued. Front rods are pending being discontinued also for 1992-1995 FX3 shock.

http://deltavee.net/

Last edited by SnAkeDr; 10-08-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:09 AM
combatdoc
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What was the cost for rebuild through Delta Vee?????
Old 10-10-2013, 09:30 AM
SnAkeDr
Racer

$99 for the service. If the shock is leaking from the rod guide (where chrome rod enters the shock body) that part is $25. They also address the seal leaking at the gear. I believe Bistein addresses it by replacing the rod, which is being phased out.

My shocks will arrive at Delta Vee today. I will let you know how I made out.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:16 PM
SnAkeDr
Racer

Originally Posted by combatdoc
What was the cost for rebuild through Delta Vee?????
$396.00. Faster turnaround than Bilstein. DeltaVee repairs the rods themselves by replacing the seals near the gear I believe. If rod is leaking at the gear Bilstein will replace the rod as a unit. Rob at Delta Vee did the job in a couple of days.

Painting the shocks now. Will have them mounted tomorrow.

Get notified of new replies

To Rebuilt Bilstein's

Old 10-19-2013, 09:27 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by SnAkeDr
$396.00. Faster turnaround than Bilstein. DeltaVee repairs the rods themselves by replacing the seals near the gear I believe. If rod is leaking at the gear Bilstein will replace the rod as a unit. Rob at Delta Vee did the job in a couple of days.

Painting the shocks now. Will have them mounted tomorrow.
That's an impressive "turn around" - real impressive! Your satisfaction will be the telling tale though. I'd like to think it will be a pleasant experience.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:39 PM
SnAkeDr
Racer

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
That's an impressive "turn around" - real impressive! Your satisfaction will be the telling tale though. I'd like to think it will be a pleasant experience.
It should be a pleasant experience. Its good to know there's alternative because Biltstein has stopped manufacturing the rods. I will definitely have follow up posts. I don't post and POOF!
Old 10-20-2013, 11:50 PM
SnAkeDr
Racer

Installed shocks today. So far so good. Went for a spin today. Drove nice.

Quick Reply: Rebuilt Bilstein's