C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Get this!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 11:48 AM
combatdoc
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Get this!!!!!!

Ok all on thursday I was driving home from the VA in the Z and at 5 the traffic begins to back up, so when the two lane opened to three I jumped in the left lane and got passed the semi's and bunched up traffic. I was driving at around 80 at the most just for a few seconds then maintained my normal speed, I look in my rear view mirror and here comes this cop car with his lights on and he is flying so I move out of the left lane because he looks like he is in a hurry. Next thing I know this guy swerves over and almost takes out the back of my car so at this point I'm like WTF!!! I pull over and he pull's over he waives me out of the car so I'm thinking because of traffic its so we dont get ran over, I get out and he put his hand onj his gun and starts screaming at me to turn around and put my hands behind my back, oh man, I have no Idea what is going on kinda started freaking out alittle. so I ask him what is going on and he says," You and that black corvette where racing and I saw you, I watched you take off and pull away from that black vette and you guys where hauling*SS". SO I am completely in shock at this point I did not see a black vette nor was I racing, I told him that I did was pull into the left lane and pass the slow traffic that was bunched up, no dice he called me a liar and called a wrecker and took me to jail and impounded my car. I am still very upset about this as I went to jail and sat with people that broke the law and all I did was pass some traffic, So I lawyered up and I'll let him handle it. You know the funny thing is I never did see a black corvette, so I dont know what to think, all I know is I dont really even want to drive the Z anymore I am so upset and hurt that this happened to me I may not drive that car again, I feel like he was just out to get someone and a corvette is a great place to start!!!!!
Old 12-01-2012, 04:42 PM
JThomas
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

What were you arrested for, what charge? Never mind, it really doesn't matter. If you were arrested, it's best you have an attorney and settle all of your matters in the court system. It's unfortunate, but in court, both sides will have to testify to what occurred that day and a judge or jury will make the determination. Don't let one interaction keep you from enjoying your car. Good luck with the case.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:50 PM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

The burden of proof that a race was occuring is on the LEO. I wonder if he had a dash cam on? Hang in there and good luck with the trumped up case against you.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:55 PM
lgaff
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Winner -- Modified
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Winner

I would take this down, could be used against you if its inconsistent with any version you have or may have to give.....good luck with case
Old 12-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Need4Speed90
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck with the case..theres tons of videos online and a bunch of people getting arrested for stupid reasons..if the cop had a dash cam that would be a good resource to back up your story..alot of people use GoPros and cameras mounted to a windsheild to catch frauds and unfortunate situations such as this...they also make a camera with a built in G-meter so that if your car was hit, it would turn on and record the after..i believe some have GPS and speed readings too..good luck tho
Old 12-01-2012, 06:39 PM
rickyrj1
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JThomas
What were you arrested for, what charge? Never mind, it really doesn't matter. If you were arrested, it's best you have an attorney and settle all of your matters in the court system. It's unfortunate, but in court, both sides will have to testify to what occurred that day and a judge or jury will make the determination. Don't let one interaction keep you from enjoying your car. Good luck with the case.
I agree, just handle your business and don't let 1 negative experience ruin your joy with your car. Good luck
Old 12-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

QUESTION

Did he pull over the black Vette as well? How can he prove it even extisted? It may not be on the dash cam at all.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:53 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

If they use the dash cam as evidence. You have the right to see this footage. If he accused you of "racing" they have to prove it. At most all I see they might get you for is speeding. Unless the limit is higher than it is here. Speeding does not mean jail time or impounding the car. If the case gets dismissed I would counter-sue for damages to reputation,etc...

No offense to our LEO folks but a lot of them seem to have a power trip going. Police your own if your in LE.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:00 PM
combatdoc
Pro

he officer told me that he had video, but he wouldnt show me, he said he was on an over pass and saw me driving and a black vette behind me and I was pulling away from him, then he said because I was in the lead that thats why he came after me, so no black corvette, I never saw a vette at all when I was driving. This whole deal really has me speechless, I dont understand how this guy ever thought I was racing! One cop at the jail said to me," when people go out to pass on multi lane roads people follow them, I do it". That makes sense but I never did see this DAM* black corvette!!! I almost feel set up! I really dont think I need to own a car that puts me in jail just for driving it, cause thats what it is. MAN I AM SO PI**ED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by combatdoc; 12-01-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:33 PM
zr-1 guy
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

**** my civic can put me in jail...you were speeding in va and doing 80+ and got nailed...they don't screw around there. things happen, fight it and park the car for a while if you need to. you'll get over this sooner or later
Old 12-01-2012, 10:27 PM
wildanblue
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I lawyered up and I'll let him handle it

good plan.....If the lawyer is competent.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:54 PM
Fully Vetted
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy crap, dude. Hate to hear of all this. Just hang in there and let the attorney fight it out for you. That's what they are paid to do.

Keep us posted...
Old 12-01-2012, 11:19 PM
Kris_K
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE=93Rubie;1582463600]If they use the dash cam as evidence. You have the right to see this footage. If he accused you of "racing" they have to prove it. At most all I see they might get you for is speeding. Unless the limit is higher than it is here. Speeding does not mean jail time or impounding the car. If the case gets dismissed I would counter-sue for damages to reputation,etc...

Good luck with that!
Old 12-01-2012, 11:50 PM
combatdoc
Pro

no, not in va, I was coming home from the VA (vetrans hospital) it was in texas, speed limit on the road is 70mph
Old 12-02-2012, 12:36 AM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by combatdoc
he officer told me that he had video, but he wouldnt show me, he said he was on an over pass and saw me driving and a black vette behind me and I was pulling away from him, then he said because I was in the lead that thats why he came after me, so no black corvette, I never saw a vette at all when I was driving. This whole deal really has me speechless, I dont understand how this guy ever thought I was racing! One cop at the jail said to me," when people go out to pass on multi lane roads people follow them, I do it". That makes sense but I never did see this DAM* black corvette!!! I almost feel set up! I really dont think I need to own a car that puts me in jail just for driving it, cause thats what it is. MAN I AM SO PI**ED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's very good news for you if there's video. Your lawyer will get it and will use it to show what really happened.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:38 AM
Fully Vetted
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no, not in va, I was coming home from the VA (vetrans hospital) it was in texas, speed limit on the road is 70mph
Hey, Dan. What road were you on?
Old 12-02-2012, 06:46 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

OK.
Come on now.
Which one of you black Texas Vette owners was chasing down combatdoc unbeknownst to him?
Speak up.
We know you are out there somewhere.
Likely not a ZR-1 though, which would explain not seeing him as he would have been dropping back.
On another note.
Racing always involves a minimum of two cars, usually in proximity to each other.
Only one, you, got stopped?
Odd.
HMMM..............
Mr. Officer could have some splainin to do.
Have your attorney seek a reduction of the original charge to a guilty plea for 10 mph over.
Should make all happy.
Good luck!
And where's Mr Black Vette?
Come on now speak up!
And yes, same exact thing could have happened in a Hybrid.
You and the Vette will be fine in a day or two.

Marty
1FUNZR1

Get notified of new replies

To Get this!!!!!!

Old 12-02-2012, 10:19 AM
zr-1 guy
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

misunderstood, sorry
Old 12-02-2012, 12:18 PM
combatdoc
Pro

you know what guys your right, all will be fine, here's the thing: I just retired from the ARMY due to injuries I recieved in IRAQ, I have been proud that I am a good/ honest person to my soldiers, to my brothers, to the community, and most important to the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, and my family, and I was arrested and sent to jail like a criminal, I feel very disrespected and hurt. Oh also I was on hwy 190 between Killeen and Copperas Cove to answer that question. Thanks guys for all the support.

Oh and if I dont see this through that DPS officer will just keep doing this to who ever he wants! FAIR is FAIR!

Last edited by combatdoc; 12-02-2012 at 12:22 PM. Reason: adding statement
Old 12-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Welp....That right there, IS A COP for you.
he says," You and that black corvette where racing....
...I feel like he was just out to get someone and a corvette is a great place to start!!!!!
I had nearly this exact thing happen to me once. In my TA, cruising home from school, buddy in his Camaro doing the same with me. We're gong ~74 in a 65 (and getting passed by a minivan at the time), and we both get pulled over...for "racing".

Sure thing...buddy.

Cops, suck. That is the sad truth and the origin of your grief here. Sorry for your issue, and I truly wish you the best in fighting this. If he can't produce the vid with the black 'Vette in court, go for legal costs too.

Quick Reply: Get this!!!!!!