C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Runs like Crap after washing

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:47 PM
FastMatt2
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Runs like Crap after washing

My 94 ZR1 runs like crap after I wash it, and I mean it seems like its running on 4 cil for a wile. And I dont mean washing under the hood, I mean simply washing the outside of the car. It gets no CEL's from it it just bogs down and will barely accelerate at all. Any ideas what could be getting wet that could cause that?
Old 04-05-2012, 02:14 AM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Water's gotta be getting onto the engine somehow. Only thing I can think of is to look really close all over the engine for any signs of moisture. Check the firewall area and the hood seals over the wheel wells.
Strange
Old 04-05-2012, 07:10 AM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Do you have a cut open air filter lid or what kind of intake are you running? My guess is water is running thru the crack between the hood and bumper and somehow soaking your filter element.

The only real exposure areas would be the headlights and hood/bumper transition right?

Last edited by SurfnSun; 04-05-2012 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Misspelled word
Old 04-05-2012, 10:11 AM
FastMatt2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SurfnSun
Do you have a cut open air filter lid or what mind of intake are you running? My guess is water is running thru the crack between the hood and bumper and somehow soaking your filter element.

The only real exposure areas would be the headlights and hood/bumper transition right?
Yes I'm running a K&N with a cut away lid. I was thinking the same thing, next time I was the car I'm going to check if the filter gets wet. May be time to install that A/E forced air kit, It's just hard for me to bring my self to cut the hole for the ducting.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:08 AM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 213 Posts

K&N is great if you need more air. But, there are no ways around physics on this planet. More air=more dirt..................and water.

My personal opinion K&N=junk. If you need more air, remiove the air filter.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:44 AM
A1990
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ztheusa
K&N is great if you need more air. But, there are no ways around physics on this planet. More air=more dirt..................and water.

My personal opinion K&N=junk. If you need more air, remiove the air filter.
It wouldn't be the K&N, it would be the open lid.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:59 AM
A26B
Drifting

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ztheusa
........My personal opinion K&N=junk.
My opinion exactly. K&N air filters have never shown to be worth anything definitive over a good quality, paper element. Dyno numbers don't support it. Given that fact, K&N is not worth the hassle of cleaning & oiling.

+1 on the open lid
Old 04-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Polo-1
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Matt...... Just call or email...

Pull the passenger side O2 wire on the header. Spray it out with brake clean and get it dry. The same thing happened to me when I washed ( really good) after the long drive up here.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:54 AM
rhipsher
Pro

Thats very strange indeed. I have the forced air system and when I go to the car wash and spray high pressure rinse I hit the forced air inlet at a 45 degree angle. Not directly up inside it of course and I'm sure that some water gets on the K&N filter in mist form. There are also small holes drilled in the bottom of where the filter sits so any water quickly drains out. Who ever installed it before me was using their head.

Get notified of new replies

To Runs like Crap after washing

Quick Reply: Runs like Crap after washing