C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Stainless steel air box

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 01:38 PM
LT5corsa
1994 Admiral Blue ZZZZZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 41 Posts
Northeast Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Stainless steel air box

This air box is very similar to "the marc Copland air box"

Marc gave permission to redo this box but he asked for it not to be named after him

Price is $500 and includes 2 screws

This will be limited to a maximum of 25 and we can deliver to marc haibecks (april 22)Or Bowling Green (may 16 thru 20)

List thus far:

1 left.

If you need it delivered to BG or Marc's need to RSVP ASAP n (space limited)

Anyone interested payment is going to George Braml and pm me for his info

Regards

David

Last edited by LT5corsa; 06-07-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:37 PM
FastMatt2
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What better about this box VS the stock? any power gain? will it with with the AE forced air lid?
Old 06-06-2012, 09:26 PM
LT5corsa
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FastMatt2
What better about this box VS the stock? any power gain? will it with with the AE forced air lid?
Power gain? Negative. More for aesthetics

I don't think it will work with the AE forced air but I will check

David
Old 06-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

The box would need modified to fit the Forced Air Induction setup.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:55 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Daddy
The box would need modified to fit the Forced Air Induction setup.
Concur it will not work the AO forced air setup as it relies on a closed lid setup with a tube connector on the bottom feed by an open front license plate diffuser.

However with the front plate diffuser only and this setup it will not hurt to feed air into this open top air system. I think it would only improve as the surface area of the entire filter is not compromised by the limits of the corogated hose and the coffee can size connector to the bottom of the air filter.

More airflow is better for cooling and performance always. An open top element and open license plate diffuser would seem to me to be the best of both worlds. Also this looks great

Last edited by Goldcylon; 06-07-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Graybeard ZR1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
Concur it will not work the AO forced air setup as it relies on a closed lid setup with a tube connector on the bottom feed by an open front license plate diffuser.

However with the front plate diffuser only and this setup it will not hurt to feed air into this open top air system. I think it would only improve as the surface area of the entire filter is not compromised by the limits of the corogated hose and the coffee can size connector to the bottom of the air filter.

More airflow is better for cooling and performance always. An open top element and open license plate diffuser would seem to me to be the best of both worlds. Also this looks great
I think the theory behind using a closed tube to feed the box, "Forced Air" style, is that when the car is at speed it creates a high pressure condition in the box. Of course leaving an open lid as you suggest would defeat that concept. That's why they called it "Forced Air".

Assuming the mount screw holes are in the same position, you could probably use the "Forced Air" lid on the Coplon style base. But then you would have a painted black lid instead of the stainless piece.

If you already had the "Forced Air" setup, you could replace the box with the Coplon style unit, and switch lids back and forth at the track to see which one worked best.

My 91', (with stock motor), trapped at 117 mph. with the "Forced Air" installed, so I don't think it was having any trouble breathing.

My car did not have a Coplon box, but I did use a Coplon stainless insert between the "Forced Air" box and the intake horn. This goes inside the stock plastic accordion connector, prevents collapse, and provides a smooth path for airflow.

BTW, that is one gorgeous air box

Last edited by Graybeard ZR1; 06-11-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:47 AM
FrankieD
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Can you make one for a base C4 model and not a ZR1. The snout to Throttle Body would be different size.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:35 AM
LT5corsa
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FrankieD
Can you make one for a base C4 model and not a ZR1. The snout to Throttle Body would be different size.
A ZR-1 owner who owns an L98 bought one and installed it...

He say's it fits like it should. I'll ask to make sure

David
Old 09-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

Default SS Air Box for LT5 and L98 are Identical

Originally Posted by LT5corsa
A ZR-1 owner who owns an L98 bought one and installed it...
He say's it fits like it should. I'll ask to make sure

David
David......You can mention Cliff (Dynomite) or Priss (Dynamite) at any time on this forum (Priss is my wife who drives the L98)

I just went out and checked as both original Air Boxes (91' ZR1 (LT5) and 90' Corvette (L98)) appear to be identical (Metal cover, filter, screws, and Air Box). I just removed accordian air from L98 and fit on my OEM LT5 Air Box and appears to fit perfectly.

George Braml (gbraml@hotmail.com) did a perfect fabrication job on the L98 SS Air Box as he did on the LT5 SS Air Box

The L98 and LT5 SS Air Box and Air Filters are Identical.

I did not Powder Coat or Paint the SS Air Box as it looks very very nice as a SS Machined look and the welding is absolutly perfect......so why cover up with Powder Coating or Paint

Cliff

Last edited by Dynomite; 09-14-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:06 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Thats SS or alum?

What gauge is that?
Reason Im asking want to make an airbox for a carbed vehicle. not so thick its tough to work with but thick enough it could be welded.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:36 AM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Correct Installation of the SS Air Box

Originally Posted by LT5corsa
This air box is very similar to "the marc Copland air box"

Regards
David
Just an installation tip....If you use that Orange FRAM Air Filter you will find it about 1/4 inch too high. The bottom end of the SS Air Box Square Filter Retainer lip will not engage the Built In (L) of the Air Box at the bottom end as shown in your photos (the Orange FRAM Air Filter has a gap at the bottom end). You will also notice the two Retaining screws for the Square SS Air Box Filter Retainer have tilted towards the engine indicating the top Square Retainer has moved upward out of the SS Air Box (L) at the bottom end.

If you look closely at the SS Air Box Square Filter Retainer you will see a cut out about 1/4 inch deep and the width of the Square Filter Retainer on the bottom end. The height of the Air Filter cannot be higher than that cut out (The Orange Fram Filter is about 1/4 inch higher than that cut out).

The Key is to get a thinner Air Filter that slides under the front opening in the small cross frame. My FRAM Air Filter installed L98 SS Air Box and FRAM Air Filter is identical to the one you show and also installed wrong on the L98.

I will get the correct K&N 33-2035 Air Filter today identical to the one I have installed in the LT5 and take some close up photos of the issue for you. I will also note exactly the Filter Number so you can also install your SS Air Box correctly. I will also provide a couple close up photos of the Incorrect Installation of the SS Air Box. I have K&N 33-2035 Air Filter on the way and will post to verify that is correct as that appears to be the Air Filter installed on my LT5 that fits perfectly.

The Detailed Technical Discussion is here Stainless Steel Air Box and Air Filter (L98 and LT5)

Last edited by Dynomite; 09-23-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:29 AM
FrankieD
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Where does the air filter draw the air from on this setup..is it cut open in front of the air filter cover or does it draw air from the underside of the rad shroud?
Old 09-16-2012, 07:59 AM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FrankieD
Where does the air filter draw the air from on this setup..is it cut open in front of the air filter cover or does it draw air from the underside of the rad shroud?
There is a top louvered metal cover and the Air comes from within the engine compartment and from outside through the front grille.

The Detailed Technical Discussion is here Stainless Steel Air Box and Air Filter (L98 and LT5)

Last edited by Dynomite; 09-16-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-02-2024, 10:08 PM
ZBrink
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I know this is a super old thread but is anyone still fabricating anything like this?

Get notified of new replies

To Stainless steel air box

Quick Reply: Stainless steel air box