C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Valentine Owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 06:35 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Valentine Owners

So I have had my valentine 1 since like 2000. It's been upgraded once back in maybe 2002. Has anybody done this upgrade and is it worth it?

UPGRADE PROPOSAL FOR YOUR

Serial Number 10159XXXXX
Our upgrade to V1.85 w/ESP, Improved Euro Mode plus Traffic Monitor Filter and Junk-K Fighter will produce the following benefits:

Traffic Monitor Filter, created to eliminate false alarms caused by SpeedInfo, a traffic-flow monitoring system that sends frequent K-band radar bursts into the traffic stream.

Junk-K Fighter blocks false alarms caused by K-band lane-change warning systems in some newer cars.

Improved Euro Mode, now with K-band coverage expanded to include the lower frequency photo radar devices in use in other countries. (V1 is already optimized for North American radar as it comes from the factory; Euro Mode is not for driving here). For specific frequency details, click here. This upgrade will install the Euro Mode but you must activate it. To activate, see http://www.valentine1.com/Lab/techreport3.asp

Crystal-controlled Frequency Tuning to permanently safeguard coverage at radar-band edges.

Extended Serial Protocol (ESP) enables two-way communication with SAVVY and V1connection.

* One-year limited warranty, same as new units, starting at upgrade date.

*--Instant Upgrade to V1.85 w/ESP, Improved Euro Mode, Traffic Monitor Filter activated and Junk-K Fighter activated: As soon as we receive your old unit (in operable condition with no tampering of the serial number) we'll exchange it for a brand-new, current-production V1. This is our way of assuring you'll be without V1 protection for the shortest time.

PRICE: $289 plus shipping

Here's How to Order
Old 07-29-2015, 06:53 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I got a brand new one in '11 and it is 100% WORTHLESS. All it does is false. Falsey, false, falser. In falses constantly. Even in the middle of F'ing nowhere...route 80, Wyoming. Nebraska. Iowa. There is nothing out there! Farms! And what does it do? It falses, almost constantly. I can put it on Advanced Logic mode and all it does is false.

It is totally worthless b/c anywhere you are, it is going off, so what does that mean? Nothing. I shut it off and throw it back in the center console. Thing is useless. If there is an upgrade that helps, I'm all
Old 07-29-2015, 06:59 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI

I got a brand new one in '11 and it is 100% WORTHLESS. All it does is false. Falsey, false, falser. In falses constantly. Even in the middle of F'ing nowhere...route 80, Wyoming. Nebraska. Iowa. There is nothing out there! Farms! And what does it do? It falses, almost constantly. I can put it on Advanced Logic mode and all it does is false.

It is totally worthless b/c anywhere you are, it is going off, so what does that mean? Nothing. I shut it off and throw it back in the center console. Thing is useless. If there is an upgrade that helps, I'm all
Thanks, that kind of goes along with what I have been hearing. Disappointing for $200 and I don't really need it to connect to my android phone.

I just wonder if its outdated after 15 years

Still seems to work good.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:13 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by xlr8nflorida

Still seems to work good.
If it works good for you, unless someone comes on here and sings massive praises for a particular upgrade....I'd keep it as-is.

I had an older Valentine (from the '90's) that was stolen a long time ago...but it worked GREAT, back then. So I know they can work well...my newish one doesn't.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:22 PM
91vettezr1
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
If it works good for you, unless someone comes on here and sings massive praises for a particular upgrade....I'd keep it as-is.

I had an older Valentine (from the '90's) that was stolen a long time ago...but it worked GREAT, back then. So I know they can work well...my newish one doesn't.
I had it done a few years ago but I have to agree about false alerts. I took it from NJ to NC on I-95 all I got was false alarms the entire trip.I ended up turning it off.I get false alarms all the time on the way to work from taking rt 80 from exit 12-exit 68.It seems to have gotten worse over the years
Old 07-30-2015, 01:45 PM
Z06pete
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup me too..... Had mine upgraded and all I get is false warnings especially from the newer cars with blind spot monitoring and backup radar. What a waste.

Pete
Old 07-31-2015, 01:27 AM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Mine has never been upgraded since I bought it in 2003. It has saved me countless times even though it does give off false messages at times.

It seems to me the airwaves have much more clutter from all manner of sources so the environment has changed in ways that make screening out

false signals harder that it use to be. Keep in mind that situational awareness plays a big part in how you access the threats out there.

Socal is easy... mostly KA band and the CHP drive around with it on all the time. Sometimes they use laser... not often though.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:44 AM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I hear the Passport Max or Redline is where it's at now. The V1 had its day but time has moved one.

Last edited by SurfnSun; 07-31-2015 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:40 AM
grandspt
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 191 Posts

Default Valentine Owners

I still have my V1 actually I have two (one is very old and was never upgraded). They both work well for me and have saved me some money!
But they do give false alerts, automatic door openers at malls, banks, etc. and now a lot of new luxury vehicles have blind spot avoidance features and radar based cruise control which set off the V1. You have to leave the volume low and try and weed out the false alerts.
A lot of clutter in the air and on the streets.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:09 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Im a V1 user and it works great. All radar detectors give false alerts as stated correctly above for the above reasons. The upgrade looks pretty pricey however.

I also use the hidden display and the unit has two volume mode and you can mute out the flase alerts very easily.

However if your getting flase alerts all the time something is wrong with the unit. I drive 70 miles daliy on the freeway and in around the down town area all the time. It only false alarms in one area. every day same area. I just ignore it.

Last edited by Goldcylon; 08-05-2015 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:11 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
Im a V1 user and it works great. All radar detectors give false alerts as stated correctly above for the above reason. The upgrade looks pretty pricey however.

I also use the hidden display and the unit has two vaulme mode and you can mute out the flase alerts very easily.

However if your getting flase alerts all the time something is wrong with the unit. I drive 70 miles daliy on the freeway and in the down town area all the time. It one false alarms in one area. every day same area. I just ignore it.
What Goldcylon said. I have owned a Valentine 1 since I got my first ZR-1 in 1994. Best one out there in my opinion. I have had it upgraded at least two times, maybe three--I can't remember. There are lots more false alarms now with adaptive cruise control on many cars that use radar or lasers to determine spacing. I talked with Cincinnati Microwave about these false alarms and they said they can't do anything about them as they are actual laser (or radar) signals. I still am very happy with mine. Wired with the power wire coming up through the center grate near the cutout and powered in the console. I just swap it out when I switch cars. Of course my real weapon against tickets (none since 1978) is cruise control. But the V1 does help from time to time.--Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Valentine Owners

Quick Reply: Valentine Owners