C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

ZR-1 Brake Upgrades/Improvements

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 09:49 PM
TCurtner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZR-1 Brake Upgrades/Improvements

How do I improve my brakes on my 91 ZR-1? Looking at all options including aftermarket offerings. Go Deeper!
Old 11-08-2011, 11:38 PM
zr-1 guy
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

c5 set up is probably the cheapest upgrade
Old 11-09-2011, 02:06 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

What kind of racing do you do?
Old 11-09-2011, 08:11 AM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

And what is your brake setup currently?
Old 11-09-2011, 09:58 AM
TCurtner
Instructor

Default More Details

Type Racing: At present HPDEs. Will hopefully go to time trial then get regional comp license at some point next year. Willing to start with C5 changeover, but don't know details eg. unsprung weight factor (increases?), where to get parts, etc. etc. I had an 87 with C5 in fronts and (i believe) stock calipers in back. Not bad, but need secure, reliable, serious brakes - no fade from say max of 165mph down to 40mph every 1.5 minute...current setup stock brakes - definitely going to stainless lines and system purge immediately.

Last edited by TCurtner; 11-09-2011 at 09:58 AM. Reason: m
Old 11-09-2011, 06:33 PM
MRDZR1
Racer

Originally Posted by TCurtner
Type Racing: At present HPDEs. Will hopefully go to time trial then get regional comp license at some point next year. Willing to start with C5 changeover, but don't know details eg. unsprung weight factor (increases?), where to get parts, etc. etc. I had an 87 with C5 in fronts and (i believe) stock calipers in back. Not bad, but need secure, reliable, serious brakes - no fade from say max of 165mph down to 40mph every 1.5 minute...current setup stock brakes - definitely going to stainless lines and system purge immediately.
Well, the C5 calipers will require different wheels then the saw blades type to clear the calipers. A mold are fine with the C5 calipers. For sure this is the cheapest option and I'm sure that if you switch brake pads for the track days (Hawks DTC70 up front and 60 rear) you'll have good and constant performances. Make sure to have SS lines!

Or, Wilwood have an interesting 6 piston set up!

I use the stock set-up with Ford "blue" brake fluid, SS lines, DRM bias spring and DTC pads and it work fine on small tracks but on the high speed (125mph+) tracks, it is not to my standards on hard braking situations. I think the C5 would give me a good enough improvement for the money.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

How do I improve my brakes on my 91 ZR-1? Looking at all options including aftermarket offerings. Go Deeper!

When you want the control and modulation to take your track-bred car deep into the turns, you need unsurpassed Carbotech brake technology. Going deep before you brake allows you to stay on the accelerator longer going into the corner and even faster coming out.

If you're a professional racer, or if you're taking your street car to the track for club events, Carbotech has the best braking solution. That's why we are becoming the #1 manufacturer of performance brake pads around the world with professional and club racers--everyone who demands the best. At Carbotech, we've been heavily involved in club and professional racing for more than 17 years. We know what you need to win.

Please take a moment and read about these 2 compounds, I would suggest using XP10 front and XP8 rear.

When Carbotech unleashed the XP10™ to the general public, and it was an instant success, gathering multiple regional, divisional, and national championships. The XP10™ is a very high initial bite friction material, with a coefficient of friction and rotor friendliness unmatched in the industry. Fade resistance is in excess of 1650°F. Due to the high level of friction and bite, this material is recommended for cars weighing around 2,000lbs or more, not including formula cars and cars with brake bias bars weighing less than 2,000lbs. This is the preferred compound for the front of Spec Miata racers, SSC,SSB, T3, SRF, ITS, ITE, H1,H2, H3, H4, 944 Cup, ST, GS, Factory Five Cobra’s and many more Grand-Am/ALMS/SCCA/NASA classes. XP10™ is also ideal for advanced/instructor level HPDE drivers. XP10™ still maintains the highly praised release and excellent modulation, rotor friendliness, and 100% non-corrosive dust that have made all Carbotech compounds so successful. XP10™ is not recommended as a daily-driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.

A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range (200°F-1350°F+). Carbotech XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Outstanding initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance, very rotor friendly with 100% non-corrosive dust. Excellent as a front brake pad for lighter ITA, ITB, ITC, SRF, H4, H5, and other cars that weigh less than 2,400lbs. Perfect for novice, intermediate and advanced track day (HPDE) use with any tire, and can still be driven safely to and from the track. There are several vehicles that use XP8™ on the street, autocross, and at track day (HPDE) events. Carbotech does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. XP8™ is also a great rear brake pad for almost any race car (Spec Miata-T1/T2/CMC). XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 11-10-2011, 12:06 PM
TCurtner
Instructor

Originally Posted by MRDZR1
Well, the C5 calipers will require different wheels then the saw blades type to clear the calipers. A mold are fine with the C5 calipers. For sure this is the cheapest option and I'm sure that if you switch brake pads for the track days (Hawks DTC70 up front and 60 rear) you'll have good and constant performances. Make sure to have SS lines!

Or, Wilwood have an interesting 6 piston set up!

I use the stock set-up with Ford "blue" brake fluid, SS lines, DRM bias spring and DTC pads and it work fine on small tracks but on the high speed (125mph+) tracks, it is not to my standards on hard braking situations. I think the C5 would give me a good enough improvement for the money.

How do I fit the C5 calipers to my front knuckle/parts? Adapter? other/mods? ALso, what about back calipers? Are there 18" wheels where I could size-up to utilize max size discs? (maybe this is another thread?).
Old 11-10-2011, 12:08 PM
TCurtner
Instructor

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
When you want the control and modulation to take your track-bred car deep into the turns, you need unsurpassed Carbotech brake technology. Going deep before you brake allows you to stay on the accelerator longer going into the corner and even faster coming out.

If you're a professional racer, or if you're taking your street car to the track for club events, Carbotech has the best braking solution. That's why we are becoming the #1 manufacturer of performance brake pads around the world with professional and club racers--everyone who demands the best. At Carbotech, we've been heavily involved in club and professional racing for more than 17 years. We know what you need to win.

Please take a moment and read about these 2 compounds, I would suggest using XP10 front and XP8 rear.

When Carbotech unleashed the XP10™ to the general public, and it was an instant success, gathering multiple regional, divisional, and national championships. The XP10™ is a very high initial bite friction material, with a coefficient of friction and rotor friendliness unmatched in the industry. Fade resistance is in excess of 1650°F. Due to the high level of friction and bite, this material is recommended for cars weighing around 2,000lbs or more, not including formula cars and cars with brake bias bars weighing less than 2,000lbs. This is the preferred compound for the front of Spec Miata racers, SSC,SSB, T3, SRF, ITS, ITE, H1,H2, H3, H4, 944 Cup, ST, GS, Factory Five Cobra’s and many more Grand-Am/ALMS/SCCA/NASA classes. XP10™ is also ideal for advanced/instructor level HPDE drivers. XP10™ still maintains the highly praised release and excellent modulation, rotor friendliness, and 100% non-corrosive dust that have made all Carbotech compounds so successful. XP10™ is not recommended as a daily-driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.

A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range (200°F-1350°F+). Carbotech XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Outstanding initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance, very rotor friendly with 100% non-corrosive dust. Excellent as a front brake pad for lighter ITA, ITB, ITC, SRF, H4, H5, and other cars that weigh less than 2,400lbs. Perfect for novice, intermediate and advanced track day (HPDE) use with any tire, and can still be driven safely to and from the track. There are several vehicles that use XP8™ on the street, autocross, and at track day (HPDE) events. Carbotech does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. XP8™ is also a great rear brake pad for almost any race car (Spec Miata-T1/T2/CMC). XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.
I used carbotechs on my 87 - awesome braking - could go past last cone at RoadAtlanta before 10A. They are superb. Once I get the calipers/wheels worked out, will know what part nos to order....
Old 11-10-2011, 07:14 PM
MRDZR1
Racer

How do I fit the C5 calipers to my front knuckle/parts? Adapter? other/mods? ALso, what about back calipers? Are there 18" wheels where I could size-up to utilize max size discs? (maybe this is another thread?).
Et voilà! You'll see the 2 brakets in the kit.
http://www.vbandp.com/C4-Corvettes/C...r-1988-96.html

Old 11-10-2011, 08:01 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

^^^ VB&P had a bad lot of caliper brackets come out of their shop- I would avoid them. I had a bunk set that came in a box when i bought my current car...just one more thing I couldn't use and had to hunt down.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:22 PM
ScottC95ZR1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here are a couple more links to source the parts you'll need:

http://www.flynbye.com/catalog/c8_p1.html
https://www.superchevyperformance.co...les.asp?ID=124
Old 11-10-2011, 10:26 PM
FastMatt2
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have C6 Zo6 Front brakes on my ZR1 and they are bad ***.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:00 AM
rickyrj1
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FastMatt2
Old 11-11-2011, 08:16 AM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What's your budget?

There are a ton of options, from cheap effective C5 calipers and rotors up to probably having Movit make you some custom carbon ceramic brakes. Wheel choice will limit your selection in addition to budget.

Baer makes a 6-piston caliper that bolts right up and uses the stock rotor, fits under A-molds. Wilwood makes a 6-piston direct bolt-on that uses a Wilwood rotor that is very similar to stock size. It fits under A-molds with a bit more clearance, but I don't know if it'll clear sawblades.

If you go 18" wheels, there are more options from Z06 brakes to Baer and Wilwood 13-14" rotors and large calipers. DRM has some 13x1.375" Wilwood brakes that would let you run 17's if the wheel had spoke clearance. I think they use the GN III caliper.

Movit makes all kinds of sizes of brake kits. Used, there are older Brembo 4-piston and some Alcon brake kits that were made to fit C4's.

Expect rear brakes to either be pricey, or to sacrifice the parking brake.

Replacement part prices and selection will vary based on what you choose. Expect tons of pad selection and rotor brands for a C5 setup (brakes were used from 1997 through 2012 and beyond). Less with some of the specialty stuff, I know some of the Wilwood calipers only have Wilwood pads available. Stuff like the GN III caliper has pads from more manufacturers available because it's a pretty common caliper.

Have you tracked the ZR-1 on the stock setup?
Old 11-11-2011, 09:19 AM
TCurtner
Instructor

Originally Posted by FastMatt2
Allrighty, this is enticing (having had two C6 Z06s!) - please explain how to accomplish this feat. Any links? Part Nos? etc.?
Old 11-11-2011, 09:22 AM
TCurtner
Instructor

Haven't tracked this car, yet. But since I taxed my 08 Viper brakes and my 87vette /C5 conversion brakes, I am somewhat confident that I will fry the stock setup.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:58 PM
mgg
Instructor

Default brakes

One important issue to consider is the replacement parts. Rotors , pads etc. Stop tech brakes are great but extremely expensive when it comes time to repace things. I have raced my for ten years with the wilwood gn 6 piston setup. I have the wilwood 6 piston superlights on my ZR-1 street car. There is NO comparison . The wilwood GN are true race setup calipers with huge thick rotors. They are not fancy but were design to stop 3400lb race cars. the replacement parts are very inexpensive compared to almost all competitors. You can buy rotors and pads from the ROUNDY ROUND race shops wich sell high volume and do not stick it to you because you are driving a corvette. The pads are HUGE . I am using PFC 01 compound and they do a great job. Now the ZR-1 is a VERY heavy car so you will experience wear depend on your skill level. I couldn't be happier than my experience with the Wilwood GN for racing . The super lites are godd for a street caliper and look nice but the GN is the real deal. You also have the benefit of the install process increases your front track dimensions. AThey will fit under 17 A molds but not saw blades. Just my two cents.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:50 AM
TCurtner
Instructor

Originally Posted by mgg
One important issue to consider is the replacement parts. Rotors , pads etc. Stop tech brakes are great but extremely expensive when it comes time to repace things. I have raced my for ten years with the wilwood gn 6 piston setup. I have the wilwood 6 piston superlights on my ZR-1 street car. There is NO comparison . The wilwood GN are true race setup calipers with huge thick rotors. They are not fancy but were design to stop 3400lb race cars. the replacement parts are very inexpensive compared to almost all competitors. You can buy rotors and pads from the ROUNDY ROUND race shops wich sell high volume and do not stick it to you because you are driving a corvette. The pads are HUGE . I am using PFC 01 compound and they do a great job. Now the ZR-1 is a VERY heavy car so you will experience wear depend on your skill level. I couldn't be happier than my experience with the Wilwood GN for racing . The super lites are godd for a street caliper and look nice but the GN is the real deal. You also have the benefit of the install process increases your front track dimensions. AThey will fit under 17 A molds but not saw blades. Just my two cents.
Could you post or PM me some sources and part nos? Any other details - it sounds like you know what I need!

Get notified of new replies

To ZR-1 Brake Upgrades/Improvements

Quick Reply: ZR-1 Brake Upgrades/Improvements