C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Removal clutch interlock switch on 90 ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 06:55 PM
Don in VT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removal clutch interlock switch on 90 ZR1

Hi,

I just need to confirm a couple of things on the clutch interlock switch that is on the clutch pedal of a 1990 ZR1 with the ZF 6 speed.

My FSM shows that the 2 wires that go to the interlock switch are purple and yellow/black. Is this correct ? There is a wire maze under the dash and I was wondering if I could get at the 2 wires lower on the wiring harness. I want to eliminate the switch before it fails on some dark rainy night while we are on a road trip.

From what my FSM shows that switch can be taken out with no problem what so ever. Im I correct here ? I there any downside ?

Yes I am aware that the car can be started in gear but after 26 Vettes and none of them had the interlock it will be no problem.

I would like to hear from someone that has done this before as they are the experts.

Cheers,

Don in VT
Old 07-16-2011, 07:11 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Alot of discussion on the ZR1.NET site on this.You have a P.M.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:13 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Yes Don, my '91 FSM shows the same diagram and it is common to wire over and bypass the clutch switch. And some folks also bypass the start delay switch. I'll be starting my modification this weekend. I'm just looking into using a fuse.
Here's link to a bypass example

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-z...hopefully.html

Diagram
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...dification.jpg
Old 07-17-2011, 09:05 AM
Don in VT
Instructor

Default Starter interlock at clutch pedal switch

Hi again,

Well, I just came out from my daily under the dash trip and guess what I found ? The interlock switch has a 6" long two lead pigtail with a male connector.

The male connector has only the two black 6" leads that goes directly to the switch on the clutch arm. The companion female connector has the purple and yellow w/ black stripe leads coming from the wiring harness.

Two things come to mind here, one the size of all the wiring to that switch is very large ( at least 10) now I can see why the folks are putting a relay in the circuit. That is a goofy design. One of my first projects will be to install the relay when I get back from vacation.

My question is this, Is the switch bypass as simple as jumping the purple and yellow w/black stripe wires at the female connector, my guess it is ?

If any of this makes sense to anyone please get back to me.

Regards,

Don

Ps: The airbag yellow lead is easily identified as it does not have a black stripe and I believe it is a shielded type of lead and feels vastly different from the large yellow w/ black stripe lead that goes to the female connector.

D

Old 07-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Don in VT
Instructor

Default Interlock bypass

Hi all,

Thanks everyone for the help. I found the answer in the many links and posts.

This issue is solved and all is well.

Have a nice summer.

Save the wave

Cheers,

Don and Cherry

Get notified of new replies

To Removal clutch interlock switch on 90 ZR1

Quick Reply: Removal clutch interlock switch on 90 ZR1