C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

91 issue update and a new one

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 08:48 PM
YorkL8apex
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 91 issue update and a new one

I've had a few issues with the old girl lately here is an update on things you guys have helped me with:

- coolant smell - replaced upper reservoir cap, problem solved whew!

- Slight oil leak when it sits a while, was using 5w30 for winter and upped to 10w30 Mobil 1, also ordered but yet to install oil pan gasket and pickup seal from Jerry's Gaskets, also have not let the car sit, no leak but will still change gaskets and seal when I can down to Shrek's house/garage

- Water temp spike when AC on, secondary fan not coming on, will check relay and fuseable link but for now running without AC and temps are fine

NEW ISSUE: This one started while running the Devils Triangle in TN and pushing the car pretty hard in second gear accelerating and decelerating. Picked up a sound that sounds like a valve train rattle/octane pinging. It went away once I lightened up on the motor but is appearing more and more under less stressful situations.

I'm running 94 octane and have even dumped some octane boost in to be sure the octane is up there. I did wind up with a tank of 92 while in Bowling Green, the car has a SGC tune/chip in it.

Just wondering if this a common issue and looking for suggestions on how to diagnose?

Last edited by YorkL8apex; 05-16-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Hmm may be an injector issue. Orginal injectors?
Old 05-16-2010, 09:36 PM
YorkL8apex
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

No upgraded to the FIC injectors last year, no performance issues just this noise that sounds like the pinging that was common in the 70's when unleaded was first introduced. Sound is at low rpm's after getting things wound up adn back down.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:01 AM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cam chain tensioner maybe. Ever have any chain rattle on cold startups?
Old 05-17-2010, 08:29 AM
ZRWHAT
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like it might possibly be an exhaust leak in the early stages, header/exhaust manifold leak, check the torque on the flanges and work your way down and back, something of this nature will sound like a ticking/rattling noise and be mostly audible while accelerating.

Good luck
Old 05-17-2010, 08:38 AM
YorkL8apex
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

THANKS again guys!!!!

Luckily no chain rattle on startup but the exhaust leak sounds promising and easy to do when we dive into the oil pan. I'll report back the results!!!

Get notified of new replies

To 91 issue update and a new one

Quick Reply: 91 issue update and a new one