C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Event: Thunder at Stillwater II

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 12:20 PM
A26B
Drifting

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Event: Thunder at Stillwater II

THUNDER AT STILLWATER II

Now until 01Sep09 Registration $50.00.
Register through the ZR1Net Registry Store. http://www.zr1netregistry.com/ZR1registrystore/
Registration will get you a few souvenirs, dash plaque, name card and lanyard, and in to all the events as a spectator, but the charge is essentially to help cover the expenses necessary to enable the VIP’s to attend.

Event Clothing: Purchase when registering for Thunder at Stillwater II

All hats & tee shirts will be pre-ordered through the registration process and provided to registrants when they “Sign-in” at Stillwater. Clothing orders made after 01Sep09 may not be available to registrants at “Sign-in.” and will incur additional costs for shipping.

Hats: $17.50. Pick up at Sign-in.
Black, embroidered in red, both front & back.

Tee shirts: $18.00. Pick up at Sign-in.
Black, screen printed in red, both front & back.
(S-2XL, add $3 for 3XL-6XL)

Fleece Long Sleeve Shirt: $49.95.
Black, embroidered in red & white, front only. Pull-over shirt w/collar & pockets .
(S-XL, add $4 for 2X-4X).

10Sep09 or 11Sep09 Lodging Check-in, Thursday:
http://www.stillwaterplaza.com/index.php A block of 40 rooms is reserved at the Stillwater Plaza Hotel. King & dbl queen rooms are available, Cost is $81.18/day with all fees included. Register early to insure you get a room. Seven rooms were already reserved, well before event registration was even officially opened. Make your own reservations by telling the desk attendant ZR-1 Corvette.

Thursday, 1500~1800, 10Sep09 Sign-in:
Stillwater Plaza Hotel lobby, 600 E McElroy Rd, Stillwater, OK

Friday, 0900~1700, 11Sep09 Hallett Road Course: $100.00
http://www.hallettracing.net/ Hallett, OK abt 35 miles from Stillwater. Bring your helmet! Track is all ours for the day.

Hallett has over 80 feet of elevation change and is considered technically difficult. It has wide, grassy run-off areas and zero concrete or Armco barriers.

If you have never driven your Corvette for it’s designed purpose, this is the perfect time. Glen Breitung, a fellow ZR-1 driver and former instructor has offered his expertise with ride-along instruction for anyone. We can group beginning road course drivers in the same sessions for laps at slower speeds. It is very safe, for the driver and the car, with absolutely no requirement to go any faster than you feel comfortable for yourself & the car.

Note: Your support is essential to insure that the track will be reserved. Track rental is $4,100.00 for the day. If you do the math, you can readily see that we need 41 registrants to break even on this event. That doesn’t mean that if we get 39, the event is cancelled, but the showing has to be strong. Our contingency plan is to open up the registration for Corvettes other than the ZR-1. If you have a buddy or know someone with a Corvette who would like to register for the event, point them in the right direction to sign up & pay.

Saturday, 1000~1700, 12Sep09 Tulsa Drag Racing:
http://www.tulsaracewaypark.com/ Located abt 80 miles from Stillwater. We will be merging in with a “Chevy Fest” event, so only Chevrolet cars will be there. The track is still working on planning as to whether Sat will be formal racing or more of a test & tune day. Either way, we can stage & run on our own or compete if desired. Great thing is.... no pre-registration, no minimum for track rental, just show up & pay at the track. Cost & rules will be forthcoming. Pit passes & bleacher passes are available at the gate for spectators.

Saturday, 1900~whenever, 12Sep09 VIP Assembly: (cost covered by your event registration)
Will be held at Mercury Marine plant in Stillwater. VIP contact & confirmation is in progress and will be published later. This will be in Mercury's auditorium. Objective is to hold a reunion, recognize & honor persons who played a role in the ZR-1 & LT5 development & accomplishments. Afterwards, it will be open question & answer with story telling for as long as they are willing. Bring your HOTB books!

VIP's will include the following, and others I have not yet contacted until Registry support was finalized. Now, I can contact others (4 more) and will post them soon.

Graham Behan
Gary Cline
Doug Rippie
Chris Allen

In addition to banners made for the event, special event VIP autographed LT5 pieces will be auctioned off at the assembly. Proceeds will go to offset costs of the event. Any excess event income will be used for future ZR1NetRegistry sponsored events.

Sunday, 0900~1200, 13Sep09 Autocross Solo: $25.00
Event will be SCCA sponsored and held at the Mercury Marine Plant in Stillwater. Standard, Solo rules apply.

MercCruiser was kind enough to allow us the use of their parking lot to set up the autocross course. Thunder II happens to fall on the same weekend as the SCCA autocross nationals, so the local SCCA chapter will be a little short on help. They will need our assistance to set the cones back up in the unlikely event anyone actually knocks one down.
Three runs minimum. Trophies awarded by SCCA

Photographs & Video:
Plans are to have a photographer at the various events to take pictures of the event and your cars on the track, pits or scenic background (like Mercury Marine) A Thunder at Stillwater II CD will be offered for purchase directly from the photographer after the event. In the works, is to have a quality video DVD of the VIP discussion made also, because there will no doubt be a lot of valuable knowledge shared. Cost & products will be forthcoming.

Banquets & Dinners:
The general impression I've gotten is that most folks think the cost is often too high & the quality & fare generally leaves something to be desired. As such, there won't be any offered as part of the event agenda. Stillwater has some great & famous eating places. Hideaway Pizza, Eskimo Joes, and many others. Good steaks, barbeque, mexican & plain old American fare available.

Airports:
It’s about the same distance to Stillwater from either Oklahoma City or Tulsa. Rental cars are available at both airports.

Commentary:
This will be a great homecoming event with performance driving events for everyone available. I've been thinking about a KOTH award on the order of a tri-fecta. Whoever posts the lowest total comprised from the lowest time in all 3 events wins! Only rule is....no changes to the car for events. Run drag slicks & skinnies, you gotta run them on the road course & auto cross too! You get the idea. What do you think about this? Fun?

Jerry
Old 06-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Demps
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Sounds like fun to me! Hope I can make it.
Ted
Old 06-26-2009, 03:39 AM
A26B
Drifting

Where is everyone coming from?
Old 06-30-2009, 01:26 PM
rhanselman
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by A26B
Where is everyone coming from?

Vegas Baby!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-30-2009, 05:04 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

folks, please sign up early for this one so we can gauge the turnout which will really help us with the planning

thanks Jerry for putting this together, reuniting the "founding fathers" of the ZR-1 back at the birthplace of the beast is fantastic

these folks know all the details, inside and out, of the LT5 project and it's fascinating to go back in time and learn more about what makes the LT5 and ZR-1 such a potent and special combination

the pride and committment that went into building the heart of the beast is unparalleled.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:33 PM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Sounds like an awesome experience.

I'm not going to the SCCA Nationals this year, as I'm getting married in Oct (finally!).

I'll be more than glad to help instruct @ the road course & auto-X if you guys fly me up there.

Seriously, I'm a cert. Porsche driving instructor & have a few National tour wins & defending SE regional champ in Street Mod w/ the SCCA. I just can't drive a cart

Think of it as an early wedding present
Old 07-01-2009, 01:40 AM
LT5 Doc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

George, congrats on the upcoming nuptials in October. How is the 421 coming at Aaron's? I am sure he will help you bring the pain. That cart problem last year at Aaron's in November was probably you purposely letting it stall so that you wouldn't make me or Dwight look bad on the carts.

Kurt
Old 07-01-2009, 05:19 PM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by LT5 Doc
George, congrats on the upcoming nuptials in October. How is the 421 coming at Aaron's? I am sure he will help you bring the pain. That cart problem last year at Aaron's in November was probably you purposely letting it stall so that you wouldn't make me or Dwight look bad on the carts.

Kurt
Yeah, that's it, Kurt... Consideration is my middle name

Thx for the wishes & the car is still up there

BTW, what are you doing on a computer--I thought you believed they were a fad?
Old 07-02-2009, 01:06 AM
LT5 Doc
Instructor

Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1
Yeah, that's it, Kurt... Consideration is my middle name

Thx for the wishes & the car is still up there

BTW, what are you doing on a computer--I thought you believed they were a fad?
I had to try out this new fangled gizmo for myself, but I still suspect it isn't here to stay (not very many people are using it, right?)

I am sure Aaron is performing surgery on your Z as we speak and it will be a real beast when he is done.

Do you plan on quoting Julio in your wedding vows?

Best wishes

Kurt
Old 07-14-2009, 01:04 AM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1
I'm getting married in Oct (finally!).
WTF?
Old 07-15-2009, 06:34 AM
vettn71
Pro

Jerry

I'd like to come, but can only make it Saturday - maybe part of Sunday. will there be a registration desk for sad-azz stragglers? I travel a lot in my job and have flights in to DFW on Friday before and out the Monday after. Mostly I'd like to meet some of the people on the forum.

Jim
Old 07-16-2009, 01:18 AM
A26B
Drifting

Jim,
Register normally on the ZR1NetRegistry website, at the store. I will be emailing all registrants with my cell phone number. When you arrive, give me a call & I'll get with you to give you your registration packet and any merchandise you have purchased.

Saturday will be a big day, drag racing, the VIP Assembly, & the *****'s Cup Final.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:48 AM
JThomas
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Registered last week and looking forward to the event. BTW, coming from the Great Lakes State of MICHIGAN
Old 07-28-2009, 11:21 AM
timbradley26
Instructor

jerry sure wish i could come it wiould be fun to meet everyone ,things just too tight this year . have a great time
Old 07-28-2009, 07:34 PM
vettn71
Pro

Jerry

I attempted to register, but I get an error message that IE is preventing "cross-scripting" and it kills the payment page. I'd ike to get a registration, one small and one large t-shirt. I can pay with PayPal if I could get to the page somehow.

Jim

Make that "cross-site scripting"
Old 07-29-2009, 01:01 PM
A26B
Drifting

Jim,
I forwarded you problems to the "powers in charge"
Old 07-29-2009, 02:31 PM
tuband
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In I Veteran

Originally Posted by vettn71
Jerry

I attempted to register, but I get an error message that IE is preventing "cross-scripting" and it kills the payment page. I'd ike to get a registration, one small and one large t-shirt. I can pay with PayPal if I could get to the page somehow.

Jim

Check your PM

George
Old 07-29-2009, 07:23 PM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Received 1,579 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by vettn71
Jerry

Jim

It appears to be something new with IE version 8.

How does Internet Explorer help protect me from cross-site scripting attacks?

Internet Explorer's Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) Filter can help prevent one website from adding script code to another website. XSS Filter watches how websites interact, and when it recognizes a potential attack, it will automatically block script code from running. When this happens, you will see a message in the Information bar letting you know that the webpage was modified to help protect your privacy and security.

I'm looking into it. For now if you use an older version of IE or a different browser like firefox it should work.

OR

The end user can also control the XSS Filter (which is ON by default in the Restricted, Internet, and Trusted Zones) using the Internet Control Panel. In other words turn it off.

Thanks,
Mom
Old 07-31-2009, 01:44 PM
dbriana
Burning Brakes

Just registered, will be coming from NW Louisiana, anyone caravaning from the DFW area Thursday?

Get notified of new replies

To Event: Thunder at Stillwater II

Quick Reply: Event: Thunder at Stillwater II