C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Thunder at Stillwater II

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 05:49 PM
A26B
Drifting

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Thunder at Stillwater II

THUNDER AT STILLWATER II

OK, been working on this event and it's coming together. The date has changed because its football season in Oklahoma and Stillwater loves its Cowboys. There are 3 OSU home games in Stillwater during September. There are no hotel deals when OSU plays at home.
Here we go on the details at present....

Registration: ZR1NetRegistry Regional Event. I will be setting up registration & pymts through the registry website with Ron & Mom's blessing.

Sign-in: Thursday, 1500~1800, 10Sep09. Stillwater, Stillwater Plaza Hotel

Hallett Road Course: Friday, 0900~1700, 11Sep09. http://www.hallettracing.net/
Hallett, OK abt 35 miles from Stillwater. Bring your helmet! Glen Breitung has graciously offered his services for ride-along instruction. Track is all ours for the day. Registration cost will be dependent on the number of cars, so the more registrants, the cheaper it will be. Example, 40 registrants = abt $100ea. A real bargain for a full day of track time.

Tulsa Drag Strip: Saturday, 1000~1700, 12Sep09. http://www.tulsaracewaypark.com/ Abt 80 miles from Stillwater. We will be merging in with a Chevy Fest event, so only Chevrolet cars will be there. The track is still working on planning as to whether Sat will be formal racing or more of a test & tune day. Either way, we can stage & run on our own or compete if desired. Great thing is.... no pre-registration, no minimum for track rental, just show up & pay at the track. Cost & rules will be forthcoming.

VIP Assembly: Saturday, 1900~whenever, 12Sep09. Will be held at Mercury Marine plant in Stillwater. VIP contact & confirmation is in progress and will be published later. This will be in Mercury's auditorium. Objective is to hold a reunion, recognize & honor persons who played a role in the ZR-1 & LT5 development & accomplishments. Afterwards, it will be open question & answer with story telling for as long as they are willing. Bring your HOTB books!

Autocross Solo: Sunday, 1000~1500, 13Sep09. Event will be SCCA sponsored and held at the Mercury Marine Plant in Stillwater. Cost (if any) & rules will be forthcoming.

Photographs & Video: Plans are to have a photographer at the various events to take pictures of the event, your cars on the track, pits or scenic background (like maybe Mercury Marine) A CD of the collection can then be purchased by everyone or maybe just your personal shots. I would like to have a quality video DVD of the VIP discussion included because I have no doubt there will be a lot of valuable knowledge shared. Cost & products will be forthcoming.

Lodging: http://www.stillwaterplaza.com/index.php A block of 40 rooms is reserved at the Stillwater Plaza Hotel. King & dbl queen rooms are available, Cost is $81.18/day with all fees included.

Banquets & Dinners: The general impression I've gotten is that most folks think the cost is too high & the quality & fare generally leaves something to be desired. As such, there won't be any offered as part of the event agenda. Stillwater has some great & famous eating places. Hideaway Pizza, Eskimo Joes, and many others. Good steak, barbeque, mexican & good old American fare available.

Souvenirs & Memorabilia: Hats, T-shirts, sweatshirts, banners & such are in the works.

This will be a great homecoming event with performance driving events for everyone available. I've been thinking about a KOTH award on the order of a tri-fecta. Whoever posts the lowest total comprised from the lowest time in all 3 events wins! Only rule is....no changes to the car for events. Run drag slicks & skinnies, you gotta run them on the road course & auto cross too! You get the idea. What do you think about this? Fun?

BTW, I do have a special surprise that will remain a secret until the event. You won't be disappointed! Just be sure to attend.

Post replies here with your thoughts and especially if you plan to attend and the events you want to participate in. If you know owners of the new ZR1, please invite them to attend. That group is very new & small and probably doesn't have a gathering yet. It's a heck of a car and would be fun to watch on the track events. There is already one member who has a ZR1 and will be attending.

Jerry

Last edited by A26B; 02-17-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:12 PM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

WOW... that is just fantastic event... you posted over on the ZR-1 Registry?? I for one is in the 'must attend'...looking forward to much more details
Old 02-16-2009, 09:01 PM
AtsZR1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jerry my friend, COUNT ME IN. This sounds like a great time. I will make my reservations asap. Thanks for making this happen.

Henry
Old 02-16-2009, 09:29 PM
4DSZR1
Burning Brakes

HOLY SMOKES, this sounds like a absolute have to attend gathering! hmmm Time to plug Seattle to Stillwater in Mapquest
Old 02-18-2009, 01:23 PM
l1sikes
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Thunder II

I was at the 1st Thunder, still have the t-shirt and door prize "trophy".

Count me in.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:38 PM
WydGlydJim
Team Owner

Received 296 Likes on 141 Posts

Time to get some tires!
Old 02-18-2009, 06:56 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

some of us "old timers" remember

last year at the cookout at van dorn's he showed vids of the first

Thunder at Stillwater gathering with all the Zs on the HS field and the huge turnout

the pride that these folks took in the ZR-1 is amazing

the team that built the LT5 knew is was special, and took the TLC to get them right

we enjoy the "fruits of their labors" today in one of the finest engine ever built. time to see where the heart of the beast is born

hope to see you all there!

thanks.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:15 PM
l1sikes
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Rkreigh;1569000043]some of us "old timers" remember

Thunder at Stillwater gathering with all the Zs on the HS field and the huge turnout

That wasn't at a high school, it was Oklahoma State's football stadium.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:44 PM
A26B
Drifting

[QUOTE=l1sikes;1569009544]
Originally Posted by Rkreigh
Now that T. Boone Pickens has donated a gazillion bucks to OSU, things are definitely looking bigger, different and better!
Old 02-19-2009, 06:32 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE=l1sikes;1569009544]
Originally Posted by Rkreigh
some of us "old timers" remember

ooops!! guess I was paying too much attention to the cheer leaders!
Old 02-19-2009, 11:21 PM
koolaid117
Advanced

Sounds like a great time!
Old 02-22-2009, 08:35 PM
Graham Behan
Instructor

Default Thunder in Stillwater 1

That wasn't at a high school, it was Oklahoma State's football stadium.[/QUOTE]

Actually the parade through town, complete with cheerleaders, was to the high school football field.
The picture at the OSU field was taken the next day.

Driver of the white Esprit and on the losing team for the ******* Cup.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:13 PM
A26B
Drifting

Originally Posted by Graham Behan
Driver of the white Esprit and on the losing team for the ******* Cup.
At least you get to make the rules for the next match. Do you have the teams set?

I wonder if Hooters girls would do? On second thought.... baaad idea!

Jerry
Old 02-23-2009, 09:22 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Actually the parade through town, complete with cheerleaders, was to the high school football field.

Driver of the white Esprit and on the losing team for the ******* Cup.[/QUOTE]

the prez rests his case. I've been vindicated. thanks Graham!!
Old 02-23-2009, 06:10 PM
rhanselman
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Made my reservations today... You won't see it on the block of rooms because I used my Military rate... They said I could use it even though I was retiring...

Cheers,
RH
Old 02-23-2009, 09:13 PM
Graham Behan
Instructor

Originally Posted by A26B
At least you get to make the rules for the next match. Do you have the teams set?

I wonder if Hooters girls would do? On second thought.... baaad idea!

Jerry
Jerry,
At this point I have advised Mr. Chris Allen that he needs to polish up the "******* Cup" and prepare for battle. At this time I am not prepared to declare the team members that will represent Lotus, the exact structure of the team is still under consideration and ratification from the past and present Lotus team members. We are positioning ourselves to maximize our chances of ensuring that the cup will reside in the F1 trophy cabinet in Hethel, where it belongs!
As you have previously stated, the exact rules are also under consideration, this being the remit of the losing team.

respectfully yours
Graham
Old 02-23-2009, 09:43 PM
rhipsher
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So Jerry! Have you extended and invitation to the new ZR1 crowd yet?

Get notified of new replies

To Thunder at Stillwater II

Old 02-23-2009, 10:24 PM
lgaff
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Winner -- Modified
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Winner

Hmmmm this event looks very interesting!

LGAFF
90 #966
92 #234
Old 03-30-2009, 09:23 PM
Red91C4
Instructor

Default This sounds like fun

I think I can clean the spider webs off my 92 and make the run to Stillwater for this.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:17 PM
JetJock
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Getting the cup back

Driver of the white Esprit and on the losing team for the ******* Cup.[/QUOTE]

Graham, I talked to you at the banquet at the 2005 Gathering and showed you the picture of you in the HOTB. You told me that you were plastered in that shot. Are you guys ever going to mount a comeback? After all, the losers get to change the rules, right. It was nice meeting you and listening to the stories that Gordon was telling on you were priceless. Thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: Thunder at Stillwater II