C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Help with primary fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 05:55 PM
ZR1991
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with primary fuel pump

I had to replace the primary fuel pump some years ago on my 1991 ZR-1, and all has been well. Now I have the same issue again (A friend recommends not running the tank near empty as much as I do, because that may effect the cooling over a long time. I don't remember whether the primary is above or below, but it is true I leave near empty a lot because I don't drive it that much. Actually there are so many pros and cons about that, I'm just going to put fuel it it... But back to the subject).

Since I did it last time, with help from here and the Registry about part numbers, etc, everything went as expected, and it has worked well. But apparently in the years that went by, the part has crossed that magic line where it is "no longer available". GM will sell the entire assembly, but the prices are over $400. So I need a reliable substitute pump only that has the matching electrical connector, or, I think better, I need a reasonably priced entire assembly. Since this is the second time, I think replacing the entire assembly makes sense, if the price can be reasonable. GMPartsON LIne (?) has them for $208, which I would happily pay, but they are back ordered until May or more (no refund).

So, bottom line is that I would rather the entire assembly, for which I would pay for (even close to $275-300?), but I'll take any solution out here that will work.

Can anyone help?

In the meantime, I drive my Z06, and before I get beat up, I like the ZR-1 more (always have), though the Z06 is definitely a more modern car.

Regards as always, and thanks for the help.

Last edited by ZR1991; 04-12-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:32 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Go to autozone and buy the 454 cid Suburban fuel pump. Pull the whole assembly, replace with this pump - put new sock on too!
Old 04-12-2008, 07:17 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR1991
I had to replace the primary fuel pump some years ago on my 1991 ZR-1, and all has been well. Now I have the same issue again (A friend recommends not running the tank near empty as much as I do, because that may effect the cooling over a long time. I don't remember whether the primary is above or below, but it is true I leave near empty a lot because I don't drive it that much. Actually there are so many pros and cons about that, I'm just going to put fuel it it... But back to the subject).

Since I did it last time, with help from here and the Registry about part numbers, etc, everything went as expected, and it has worked well. But apparently in the years that went by, the part has crossed that magic line where it is "no longer available". GM will sell the entire assembly, but the prices are over $400. So I need a reliable substitute pump only that has the matching electrical connector, or, I think better, I need a reasonably priced entire assembly. Since this is the second time, I think replacing the entire assembly makes sense, if the price can be reasonable. GMPartsON LIne (?) has them for $208, which I would happily pay, but they are back ordered until May or more (no refund).

So, bottom line is that I would rather the entire assembly, for which I would pay for (even close to $275-300?), but I'll take any solution out here that will work.

Can anyone help?

In the meantime, I drive my Z06, and before I get beat up, I like the ZR-1 more (always have), though the Z06 is definitely a more modern car.

Regards as always, and thanks for the help.
You are correct - you should not run your tank low.

Also, when you store your Z, it should be with a full tank of gas and stabil. If you are storing your car with an empty tank that is bad news.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:29 PM
Jagdpanzer
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

Same thing happened with the primary electric fuel pump on my 94 Z right after I bought it last year.
Went down to the local Pep Boys, told them I needed a replacement electric fuel pump for a 94 Corvette ZR-1 and they sold me one made by Carter for $67 that fit perfectly and still working great today.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:37 PM
ZRWON
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by xlr8nflorida
You are correct - you should not run your tank low.
Also, when you store your Z, it should be with a full tank of gas and stabil. If you are storing your car with an empty tank that is bad news.
Good advice...
FWIW...I recently read an article about conserving gas and a couple ideas stood out: 1, Always fill your tank at 1/2 empty. The less air in your tank the less evaporation of the gas. 2, When filling your tank select the slowest flow position on the nozel. That results in fewer air bubbles generated in the tank, thus also reducing air and slows evaporation. Don't know if it's correct or not but I decided to follow their advice...at least cost of a fill up is less and makes me feel better
Old 04-13-2008, 06:31 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ZRWON
Good advice...
FWIW...I recently read an article about conserving gas and a couple ideas stood out: 1, Always fill your tank at 1/2 empty. The less air in your tank the less evaporation of the gas.
Does your tank have a top to it? Do you ever put the gas cap on the tank if it indeed has a top? If the answer is yes, then the above "advice" is just as valid as global warming.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:38 PM
ZRWON
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
Does your tank have a top to it? Do you ever put the gas cap on the tank if it indeed has a top? If the answer is yes, then the above "advice" is just as valid as global warming.
Go figure...I guess it's just more astute research data & recomendations from our amature, but getting richer, scientist, Dr. Gore. Seems not too many yeasr ago I was worried sick about the predicted coming of a second ice age now I got the global warming thing to worry about and it's not going my way...I can't even get any takers for my $40 CARBON CREDITS
Old 04-13-2008, 10:29 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ZRWON
Go figure...I guess it's just more astute research data & recomendations from our amature, but getting richer, scientist, Dr. Gore. Seems not too many yeasr ago I was worried sick about the predicted coming of a second ice age now I got the global warming thing to worry about and it's not going my way...I can't even get any takers for my $40 CARBON CREDITS
That's the one!!! Can you believe that these green communists ****-suckers actually just tried to pass a law in Germany to put a 70 mph limit on all the autobahns? Thankfully the Germans told them to shove a poplar tree up the collective anus of the modern commies!
Old 06-17-2008, 06:25 AM
max76
Instructor

Hi guys,
i have the same problem, in genuary i change both the pump on my z after 18 years...Now, after 5 months, i have change again the primary pump, this is happen after that i have stored the z for 1 months whit low gasoline in tank, it is possible??
Need to change also the fuel pump relays?
On mid america they says: always change fuel pump relays when you put a new fuel pump...

Now i follow your advice, store z with full tank!!!

Bye

Get notified of new replies

To Help with primary fuel pump

Quick Reply: Help with primary fuel pump